Tipping at an all-inclusive

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tipping at an all-inclusive

My girlfriend and I are headed to the Mayan Riviera at the end of this month and staying at an all-inclusive resort. Neither of us have ever done something like this so we were curious about the tipping protocol. It will be a four night stay, so how much would yall suggest bringing? And of course, any other tips (no pun intended) would be appreciated.

The resort should let you know the policy on tipping

Comment

If you want drinks quickly, establish a good tip early.

Comment

Originally posted by rubicon51 View Post
        My girlfriend and I are headed to the Mayan Riviera at the end of this month and staying at an all-inclusive resort. Neither of us have ever done something like this so we were curious about the tipping protocol. It will be a four night stay, so how much would yall suggest bringing? And of course, any other tips (no pun intended) would be appreciated.
        We always tipped about $1 per drink and $10 +/- at dinner. Lunch and breakfast were probably in the $5 per meal range. A few bucks here and there for the maids each day as well..... Everyone is different, so let your conscience be your guide.

Comment

You definitely get better drink service if you tip.

Comment

Absolutely tip the staff and help. Your drinks, food, and pretty much everything else is covered, but tips keeps them providing better service

Comment

We love it down there, stayed at the ocean maya resort I believe it was called.
              $5 on the bed when we left the room everyday
              $1 per beer trip/$2 per mixed or frozen drink trip to the bar(1 drink for wife and 1 for myself)
              $5 for the quick sit down breakfast/lunch setting
              $20 for dinner setting
              We never had to ask for extra towels in our room/beer in the fridge
              We never went thirsty or had to wait for drinks
              Dinner waitstaff was impeccable. We tended to eat at or near the same time every day so the service folks knew who we were and where we typical sat down to eat. We also picked a couple of bartenders that were good then asked them their schedule. Near the end of their shifts we bumped them an extra $20. Trust me, after talking to some of them they absolutely know, remember, and take care of the folks that are taking care of them too. And word spreads quickly about who is tipping/treating them well

Comment

Originally posted by STGS View Post
                We always tipped about $1 per drink and $10 +/- at dinner. Lunch and breakfast were probably in the $5 per meal range. A few bucks here and there for the maids each day as well..... Everyone is different, so let your conscience be your guide.
                This is what we do. Also if we are going to post up at one location for most of the day I usually drop a $10 in the beginning. They seem to "notice" you faster that way.

Comment

Bring a bunch of singles. We went to the Dominican, and they couldn't break larger bills down. Next time I plan on bringing at least $100 in singles. $1-$2 per time is the norm and I would recommend tipping larger at first. You will get better and quicker service.

Comment

Just remember, a majority of the people you have the opportunity to bless are dependant on you for their livelihood. Most of the people working at the resort make a fraction of what we make. Keep that in mind
                    Last edited by c3products20; 06-14-2021, 10:34 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by TxBowHntr View Post
                      Bring a bunch of singles. We went to the Dominican, and they couldn't break larger bills down. Next time I plan on bringing at least $100 in singles. $1-$2 per time is the norm and I would recommend tipping larger at first. You will get better and quicker service.
                      This is how we get down. Also $5 on the dresser each day will keep your room fridge stocked with your favorite beer. $10 To the hostess at dinner, and put a $20 in the center of the table when you set down.

Comment

Originally posted by c3products20 View Post
                        Just remember, a majority of the people you have the opportunity to bless are dependant on you for their livelihood. Most of the people working at the resort make a fraction of we make. Keep that in mind
                        This exactly. One morning before I got wasted I sat and spoke with a bartender for a while. Turned out to be a great guy and loved his job but...he also drove a taxi at night to make ends meet. His average total work day was around 18 hours but always had a smile.

Comment

I usually get $200 in one dollar bills at the bank before going to Mexico. Dish them out and they will keep the beers flowing

Comment

I usually spend some time at the pool bar and the one closest to the beach. I usually give those guys a 20 on the first day and lesser amounts after that. They remember and will take care of you. We always try to leave a couple bucks for the waiters, golf cart drivers, etc... Basically anybody that does something extra for me.

Comment

All the above is good. When we went to the DR some of the staff started to hound us about mentioning them by name on reviews for expedia and/or the like. Got to the point where it was a little uncomfortable aka, them asking us to just give them our phone and they would do it for us. Come to find out if they were mentioned in a review they would receive extra days off. After talking with with them they get picked up by bus from hours away from home have to spend 10-14 at the resort working/living there and get 1-2 days off. So while the money was greatly appreciated they really wanted the mentions in reviews to get a couple days at home with their families. Those that were awesome for us got mentioned those that just begged for a review not so much. Not sure if that is the way it still works but it certainly made sense to me when reading reviews and everyone was mentioning names.

Comment

Working...
                              X