Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Unpaid sabbatical at 51? Any of yall done it?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Unpaid sabbatical at 51? Any of yall done it?

I am 50 and am considering taking a year or 2 off (quitting current job so not really sabbatical) to enjoy life and take a few of my dream trips. I am single and no kids. I am good shape financially but not good enough to officially retire just yet. Have any of you guys done this?? After the sabbatical I just need to work enough to have health insurance and make a small income for a few years so finding a job after shouldn't be a problem. I see too many people working their butts off until 60+ and then passing before enjoying much retirement.
    Last edited by TX CHICKEN; 06-02-2021, 06:03 AM.

Sounds OK..But that H insurance can be a real issue( easy enough to get Just high as Hell) tell med care kicks in..Best of luck on your Quest...We retired a 60 been great decision..been about 15y

Comment

Lucky dog I envy you. Ill be stuck here at work till I keel over at 90

Comment

You think it's easy to get a good job with benefits after age 50?

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Comment

Go for it!!

Comment

Originally posted by DRT View Post

If you have skills, it shouldn't be hard at all.
            Especially considering today's climate where no one wants to work, and the kids coming up can barely figure out how to put gas in a car.
            Go for it man, it's great for your mental health

Comment

Chicken...... heck yes, go for it

Yes, it’s super easy in my trade to get a good job over 50.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by MadHatter View Post
                Especially considering today's climate where no one wants to work, and the kids coming up can barely figure out how to put gas in a car.
                Yes sir.
                I could quit my job today and have another in 5 minutes.

Go for it TX CHICKEN!

Comment

i did this a year ago just before covid.... 10 different vacations in one year all over the place. I hired some temp help to fill in at my current job and just took more time off than I was paid(but that didnt matter to me bc i could afford to do so like you single no kids)
                  Best decision of my life....
                  Too many ppl work the daily grind and save save save only to be too broke down and injured to do anything when they get to retire.. Who the heck wants to retire anyways, to me that means be 65 and arthritic legs and prostate problems lol...

I want to do surf trips, hunt/fish, be selfish its ok imo. Too many ppl pass judgement on me bc I travel and take off alot but hey you have one life to live. Theres alot of cheap safe cool places to visit in central america that would keep most anyone entertained

Comment

I think every person wished they could do this. I’ll never be able to but if you can swing it go for it !!

Comment

Go for it while you can enjoy.

Jobs are easy to get if you can relocate and If you have any Skills they will be calling you.

Comment

I was going to do this last year and at 6mo mark I was convinced to go back to work, I'm in Technology and at my age and pace of tech advancements my challenged to get back into the market would be more difficult and my command for pay would lessen. So here I am now in Cyber Security.

Comment

Go for it.

Comment

Originally posted by MadHatter View Post
                            This

Comment

I didn't say anything about a good job. I really just need to make $15-20/hour and health insurance. I have no doubt I can find that at 55. I have a very solid nest egg but health insurance if I am unemployed will be in the $600-800 range so I would like to work part time to cover that and make a little money.
                              If I don't take this leave and work until 56 or 57 I should be able to retire completely. This last year has worn me out and not sure I can do 5 more without a refresh.
                              Last edited by TX CHICKEN; 06-02-2021, 07:44 AM.

Comment

Working...
                              X