Which First Bow?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Which First Bow?

After spending hours at Live Oak Archery with Blake(awesome guy) in Bryan, I shot every bow on the rack. I narrowed the bow for me down to the Mathews V3. But I’m torn between the 31” or the 27”. I’m not sure which one to get. Looking for someone with more experience for advice. I hunt whitetail in Texas, as well as mule deer and Elk in Colorado and New Mexico. I do stand hunts and backpack hunts. I’m leaning towards the 27” Although I know the 31” will be more forgiving. Just seeing what you guys would recommend?

I did a decent amount of research and purchased a bow 2 weeks ago. I ended up going with the Hoyt Torrex XT. Believe it’s 30” and I’m loving it so far. Great bang for the buck and it’s extremely quiet and fast. It’s not extremely expensive which allowed me to rig it up quite well. I hunt white tail in south Texas and don’t see this thing letting me down. Get yourself a good sight and rest and get comfy shooting whatever it is you purchase. I know guys who shoot old bows and still manage to be successful. Hope this helps a bit?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

I’m a fan of longer ATA bows. I shoot them better. Probably strictly personal preference. I like 32-34 ATA. I’ve never had an instance where a said I wish I had a shorter ATA bow. I’ve hunted from Texas to Colorado and all through the Midwest.

Comment

Originally posted by Snakebadger View Post
        After spending hours at Live Oak Archery with Blake(awesome guy) in Bryan, I shot every bow on the rack. I narrowed the bow for me down to the Mathews V3. But I’m torn between the 31” or the 27”. I’m not sure which one to get. Looking for someone with more experience for advice. I hunt whitetail in Texas, as well as mule deer and Elk in Colorado and New Mexico. I do stand hunts and backpack hunts. I’m leaning towards the 27” Although I know the 31” will be more forgiving. Just seeing what you guys would recommend?
        I think the 27 is a good bow if your mainly going to be sitting in a tree or ground blind. The 31 will be a better bow for spot and stalk western hunts. I have 29” draw length and shoot the V3 31”... honestly first Mathews bow I’ve liked in a while. I would go with the 31” especially when you start to stretch out your shooting distances it will balance better

Comment

I got a 27" V3 earlier this year and have loved it. I found it really difficult to tell the difference between the two. I chose the 27" because I've got a shorter draw at 26.5. I practice at least a few ends at longer ranges than I'd hunt so the short ranges are like chip shots, but I've gone all the way out to 100 yards no problem at all. 31" will probably be more forgiving for sure, but I'm happy with my choice.

Comment

Appreciate the advice. In a week or so when I get back there I’ll shoot both again and stretch out the yardage to see which is more comfortable.

Comment

I'm a firm believer that the bow picks us, we don't pick the bow!

Comment

Working...
              X