P.I.N.S. Tips? Last weekend this month

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

P.I.N.S. Tips? Last weekend this month

Thinking of taking a trip to pics to try some shark, surf fishing. Thinking of all the gear I’ll need for a few days is overwhelming. Have a few rays from past trips for baits, tuna rods and reels but not really looking for monsters, kayaking past the second sand bar is as far out as I’m thinking of doing for some fun. Thinking of camping around the Yarborough pass area. I’m looking at the catching sharks website and the hooks seem huge for what I’m doing. 20/0? Will 8 oz spider weights hold half a small ray in the surf?

110 veiws and nothing? Come on guys I need some feedback

Comment

I'm no Shark fisherman but I go to PINS a lot. If your not after monsters just get down there and drop some baits. You'll catch sharks!

I was down a couple weeks ago and driving was decent up to about the 20. I heard the water is looking great right now. I've got the itch so may make a run next week sometime. Good luck

Comment

Yes 8s will work for baits that are decent size. Half a small ray shouldn’t be an issue.

Comment

Called today and they said Yarborough cut is closed due to all the rain, But everybody is loaded up on specs and pup sharks. I bought some 20/0 hooks set ups from catch sharks.com. But I think it’s too big for what I’ve got going.

Comment

20/0 is fine. I used 4-6oz today in strong current and they held. A bait dropped in the 2nd or 3rd gut will get picked up. Pup sharks seemed to have disappeared over the last day or so. I was down at the 22mm.

Comment

Hook size is dependent on bait size. I generally use 4-8oz weights and have no issues holding if I kayak it out to deeper water. If there's a lot of sargassum, it won't matter how much weight you have.

I'm going down that last weekend also, Thur- Sat. We'll be after specs and redfish in the morning and moving to the surf in the evening. If you want we could keep each other updated on how the fishing is going.

Comment

Originally posted by stickman View Post
                20/0 is fine. I used 4-6oz today in strong current and they held. A bait dropped in the 2nd or 3rd gut will get picked up. Pup sharks seemed to have disappeared over the last day or so. I was down at the 22mm.
                How’s the sand? I’ve got a tundra, lifted 3 inches and decent sized tires. Gonna be pulling my 10 ft utility. Any problems with loose sand? Washouts?

Comment

Originally posted by WhiplashTX View Post
                  Hook size is dependent on bait size. I generally use 4-8oz weights and have no issues holding if I kayak it out to deeper water. If there's a lot of sargassum, it won't matter how much weight you have.

I'm going down that last weekend also, Thur- Sat. We'll be after specs and redfish in the morning and moving to the surf in the evening. If you want we could keep each other updated on how the fishing is going.
                  Yeah hit me up, Pm me with your number and we can chat there, I’d really be happy to know somebody else on the sand and maybe help each other out if necessary.

Comment

Originally posted by saltwater View Post
                    How’s the sand? I’ve got a tundra, lifted 3 inches and decent sized tires. Gonna be pulling my 10 ft utility. Any problems with loose sand? Washouts?
                    Air down your tires. Take a good air pump to fill back up, and carry recovery gear just in case.
                    Spare tire for the trailer as well. Never know when a limb will go through a side wall.

Was down there Wednesday and Thursday but only went down 8-10.

Comment

Driving was awesome, maybe 3-4 soft spots but those stretches of beach weren’t more than 30-40 yards long each. Running down I used 4hi a couple of times as a precaution, Coming back my tundra made it back in 2WD the whole way.

Comment

Awesome. Thanks guys. Anybody else can chime in!

Comment

I don't have much input fishing wise, but I went last Tuesday and fishing was dead. There was no bird activity the entire length of the beach. Just made a day trip. Driving at high tide was kind of sketchy in places from the 40s to the jetties. They just dredged the channel and put all of the silt on the beach from the jetties to about a mile north and it was SOFT. On our way back it was low tide and 2wd all the way. Fished the jetties all day without ever touching a fish. I did however jump one tarpon which is what I was looking for. It wont be long now. They are there as I saw several roll throughout the day. Also, keep your eyes peeled, I pulled out a nissan 2wd SUV from the soft area near the jetties. The upstanding citizens spoke no english and had no fishing gear at all. I dont know who in their right mind would make that 60 mile drive without purpose. I am sure they had one, but it was not on the right side of the law.

Comment

I've been wanting to make this trip for a while! I hope y'all have some good luck!

Comment

Looks like we will be heading that way Monday. Looking at staying the first night at Packery and then hitting the sand. Anybody down that way give me a pm. so we can back each other up if we get stuck. I’ll be in a older black tundra, with a utility trailer. Say hello!!

Comment

Working...
                              X