Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What have y’all done about this before??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ok so it’s been 2 weeks. Still reeks. I thinking about bringing a dog in to locate it. Is that something that’s possible without having an initial scent to give them?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Originally posted by RifleBowPistol View Post
      I wonder if you are correct about the hole you found and covered up. I wonder if there was a mother possum in there with a litter. Years ago, we had a possum that we kept seeing in the same spot in the yard for a coupe weeks. Then I figured out why I kept seeing the possum in the same area of the yard. She had dug a hole down in the ground and had something like 11 babies in that hole. I never knew possums dug holes, I thought they lived in trees. She dug the hole in the yard from 10 ft. away, you could not see it. I don't know what she did with the dirt, there was none piled up on the surface. There was a flap of carpet grass. If you lifted the flap, there was a large hole, about 2 ft. deep, and a bunch of babies down in the bottom. That was early spring, when I discovered that deal. It was pretty weird, never seen an animal dug hole, that did not have a mound of dirt just outside the hole.

If it was something like a possum, or a bunch of babies of some type. I could see them staying in the hole, as you covered it up.

Yeah but do you think I would smell it all the way they the slab and flooring?

Comment

I’ve done tub deletes where gophers would come through the box out in slab and be dead in tub walls and have wet nasty dirt 4’ high between studs

Comment

Scent tracking wounded animals in the field.
          -Hound

Scent tracking in the house.
          -Wife

Hope this helps.

Comment

[ATTACH]1046615[/ATTACH]

Comment

I feel your pain. The wife and I rented a house right after we got married. It was an older pier and beam home. We started smelling a faint rotten smell that only got worse. I knew we had something dead either under the house or inside the walls somewhere. I tried to wait it out but it became too much. I could pinpoint the smell to the bathroom area of the house and got the landlord to come cut some holes and sure enough we found a dead opossum that had crawled up from under the house and found a hole to get behind the bathtub. got it out and the smell was gone in a day. The wife was freaked out that her head was inches from a dead opossum when she took her baths.

Comment

Ok so here’s something new I’ve noticed......the smell is worse today. It’s raining and the air is denser. Is it a crazy assumption to say whatever’s dead is in the attic? As the denser more humid air falls, it pulls the smell down with it?

Also while I was on the roof cleaning gutters wed. I got a whiff as well.

Comment

If it is still stinking after close to a month, it is bigger than a rat or you have a sewer problem.

Comment

Originally posted by Ag 89 View Post
                    If it is still stinking after close to a month, it is bigger than a rat or you have a sewer problem.

I have pulled the cleanout and checked. Normal septic smell.

Comment

We had a rat fall in between the walls, I finally found where it was and of course I couldn't get to it. Had to call someone out to pour stuff on it stink was gone almost immediately. This think stuck like a large animal was dead in the attic.

Comment

Originally posted by FLASH_OUTDOORS View Post
                        Ok so here’s something new I’ve noticed......the smell is worse today. It’s raining and the air is denser. Is it a crazy assumption to say whatever’s dead is in the attic? As the denser more humid air falls, it pulls the smell down with it?

Also while I was on the roof cleaning gutters wed. I got a whiff as well.

So you can smell it coming out one of the roof vents? Can you turn on the hose & run it down the vent & let it run for a minute & see if it cleans it out? Might have a dead squirrel in one of the vents.

Comment

any greasy spots on the sheetrock?

Id think a dead critter big enough to smell for a month would have ooozed out someplace

Comment

Are all of your roof vents covered with a screen of some sort? Dad had a squirrel get in one of his and die.

Comment

Originally posted by Quackerbox View Post
                              any greasy spots on the sheetrock?

Id think a dead critter big enough to smell for a month would have ooozed out someplace

Man....I’ve searched up and down. I can see in the attic where it smells the most in the room and there is nothing there. I’m starting to believe more and more it’s coming from under the concrete foundation. Whatever was in that tunnel got trapped and died. I’m thinking a possum and her babies.

Comment

Go get you some ACTIVATED carbon. It will absorb the smell. Has to be activated to work.

Comment

Working...
                                X