Announcement

Collapse

TBH Maintenance

Ongoing TBH Website maintenance this evening.
Your TBH visit may not be optimal during this service window.
See more
See less

Driving the speed limit question.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Driving the speed limit question.

I drive about 40,000 miles per year, work and hunting. A few years ago if you weren't driving 10 mph over the speed limit, you got run over. Now on a two lane road, if you want to go the speed limit, you can't because someone ahead is driving 50 in a 55. Is it because people are on their phone?

On the interstate, the trucks are so dense and it takes them so long to pass each other that you can't get around them. I'm not bashing on truckers, cause they are our shipping lifeblood but they will pass another truck that is going one mile per hour slower than them, pull over in front of you to do it, then 5 minutes later, they pass and move to the right lane. I'm sure my Amazon packages will be delayed now.

There’s probably a multitude of reasons. On their phone, stupid, distracted, hauling something they probably shouldn’t be. I tend to drive 2-3 above and no faster. With that speed I don’t have to consider cops and it keeps me from accidentally going under the speed limit which I can’t stand either.

Comment

Yeah....semi passing another is a beat down. Especially when they pull out in front of you to do it and there’s nothing behind you. 10 seconds and you’d be passed them but noooo!

Comment

Every time a driver does something stupid and then I pass them they are on their phone

Comment

Being behind an 18 wheeler passing another at 1/2 mph faster is a beating. I have heard that it’s because their company is tracking speed on GPS and any faster will get them in trouble. True?

Comment

Yes, company's now can watch your driving via GPS!

Comment

Originally posted by jerp View Post
              Being behind an 18 wheeler passing another at 1/2 mph faster is a beating. I have heard that it’s because their company is tracking speed on GPS and any faster will get them in trouble. True?
              Yes and no. Some companies are really strict about it. Others will regulate the trucks at a certain top speed. My current rig is set at 69. Some big companies are set at 67.
              In this situation, the passee should release the throttle for a couple seconds to allow the passer to get by quicker. But in this "ME first" works we live in, it rarely happens.

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk

Comment

I am not a 'speed limit' type of guy. I kick it up about 10 above the flow of traffic. So if most are doing 80 I am going 90. If most are doing 50 I am at 60, etc.

The thing that gets me is weekend guys hauling campers with small trucks. These guys are dangerous, trying to pass a semi rig. They get up to them and then slow because of the wind and whatnot, really irritates me. I know the rig drivers are governed, tracked by GPS, or both so those guys trying to pass do not bother me.

Comment

Originally posted by FCoDxDart View Post
                  There’s probably a multitude of reasons. On their phone, stupid, distracted, hauling something they probably shouldn’t be. I tend to drive 2-3 above and no faster. With that speed I don’t have to consider cops and it keeps me from accidentally going under the speed limit which I can’t stand either.

Stupid nailed it!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

The company I work for monitors everything we do while driving. Speeding, aggressive driving, hard breaking, seatbelts, complete stops, idle time, you name it’s getting monitored.

Comment

I also drive about 35-40k miles per year. I have noticed people definitely drive slower rather than faster these days versus years back. I think it's partly distraction and people being clueless of their surroundings. I usually drive about 8-10 mph faster than posted but try to be considerate of people that want to drive faster.

Comment

Apes driving vehicles..literally. We are somewhat bald monkeys driving cars. I’m not convinced that a chimp couldn’t drive cars better than the average USA citizen

Comment

Originally posted by Pineywoods View Post
                          I also drive about 35-40k miles per year. I have noticed people definitely drive slower rather than faster these days versus years back. I think it's partly distraction and people being clueless of their surroundings. I usually drive about 8-10 mph faster than posted but try to be considerate of people that want to drive faster.
                          People clueless of their surroundings for sure. I think that is pertains to people everywhere these days, not just when driving.

Comment

Safely exceeding the speed limit is fine with me, I do so frequently; just be safe about it.
                            What annoys me more than the big rig passing etiquette (lack thereof) noted is people that want to draft off of my back bumper even when I am in the slow lane and there is no one using the passing lane.
                            I'm guessing that they feel the need to let me know that I am going too slow for them, but I always slow down, down, down to demonstrate that, yes, I CAN go even slower...

Comment

I've had several idiots pass me with double yellow stripes on the road. I just slow down and pull over and get out if the way. Don't want to be part of that kind do threesome. I guess they don't learn that in drivers Ed anymore.

Comment

Working...
                              X