Feed pen fawn access

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Feed pen fawn access

I saw on here how to set a feed pen so that fawns can enter the feed pen and still keep out hogs. I for some reason can’t find it anywhere now. If you have done this can you post some pictures or a link where you found the info. Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I don't have a link or picture but have seen this done this in the past. Set two posts in the ground (I guess you could use Tposts) about 6" apart. and leave that area void of hog panels. Obviously it didn't keep all the little hogs out but deterred most hog activity while allowing fawns in.

Comment

Fawns need milk not corn. They can eat when they can jump.

Comment

Originally posted by AntlerCollector View Post
        Mine stand under the protein tubes all the time. Must be licking up the spilled milk off of the ground.

Comment

I don’t have any hogs but this is what I do for the fawns….It’s dual purpose. Lol

I use these gates for my protein feed pens. The fawns use it to get in easily.
          Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by MASTERS View Post
            Mine stand under the protein tubes all the time. Must be licking up the spilled milk off of the ground.

I didn’t say they wouldn’t eat it. I said they don’t need it. I also said corn. Pay attention

Comment

I know diagram you are talking about, just can't find the picture either.

A few good threads about your topic:
              https://discussions.texasbowhunter.c...der+pen+access

Comment

I didn’t say they wouldn’t eat it. I said they don’t need it. I also said corn. Pay attention
                Who said I didn’t feed corn out of the protein feeder spouts? Quit making assumptions!

Comment

Same. My pens are only like 28" so not difficult to jump. They jump in not long after spots are gone.

Comment

I bought some panels from a guy long time ago that had removed a small square about halfway up on the panels... said it was for fawns / black bucks to get into feeder pens...

Comment

Originally posted by MASTERS View Post
                      Who said I didn’t feed corn out of the protein feeder spouts? Quit making assumptions!

Did you just assume I thought you only fed protein from your protein tube?

How presumptive of you.

I’m simply saying fawns don’t need corn. I don’t care what you put in your feeder.
                      Last edited by AntlerCollector; 01-25-2023, 12:14 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by bowaddict40 View Post
                        Same. My pens are only like 28" so not difficult to jump. They jump in not long after spots are gone.

Yep. Most pens I see will have a section lowered. Still keeps hogs out, a 6-7 month old deer can jump in.

Comment

Did you just assume I thought you only fed protein from your protein tube?

How presumptive of you.

I’m simply saying fawns don’t need corn. I don’t care what you put in your feeder.
                          Let’s be honest, we both likely made assumptions based off what little information was put forth.

Just rustling your jimmies, feed them little babies protein so it puts muscles under their spots

Comment

Found a few more helpful things:
                            Attached Files

Comment

My pen fences are only 25” tall.

In SE Texas, high density hog population area. I have had less than a hand full of incidents where a hog would jump the fence. It always was an individual pig at a time as well.

I have more issues with them trying to root under the fence or uproot the cut down t-posts.

Comment

Working...
                              X