next to high fence

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

next to high fence

my neighbor high fenced longest side of my property near junction, about a mile worth of fence - im right at 300 acres - low fence on all 3 other sides -they are 3/4mile 1/2 and 1/2 mile ish in length
    so half of my property along that high fence doesnt hold deer like it used to - i have a feeder at both ends of the fence
    i was thinking adding another feeder/blind 1/2 way down the high fence line so the 3 feeders would be in roughly a line - maybe that would pull traffic through it?
    apparently the deer love fence on the inside of it - i see a ton his side - nothing hardly on mine
    property is very thick with cedar and scrub oaks -
    any ideas to liven up areas next to high fences

I feel like the property is too small for a high fence along one side to make a difference. It’s possible the deer just haven’t liked being in that general area this year? I only say that because I used to hunt on a place where we had multiple areas similar to what you’re describing and never noticed traffic issues being caused by a high fence.

I would just continue hunting it as you’ve been and let nature work its course. I wouldn’t overthink it too much… this year has been a strange one everywhere it seems like.

Comment

Originally posted by BobbyJoe View Post

I would just continue hunting it as you’ve been and let nature work its course. I wouldn’t overthink it too much… this year has been a strange one everywhere it seems like.
      Agreed and to build, adjust your feeding routine to try and draw more animals across your property. We feed year around, corn and protein and yes it can get expensive, but it’ll definitely negate the effect of that one side being high fence.

I’ve seen it myself due to the neighbor to the south-southwest of us having done this exact same thing almost 20 years ago. The deer we see in our side are bigger and have better antlers. Nothing incredibly huge per se, but even that guy’s main hand comments on the deer he sees in our side being noticeably better than what they have.

I’ll see if I can get TapACrap to post a pic of a main 8 that had a split and two kickers he took the first Wednesday of general season in 2021, I watch that same deer for over 30 minutes roughly halfway through bow season and let him walk because he wasn’t even 4 at the time. I do have iPhone live pics I took in that sit to show it’s the same buck.

Just put more time, effort and yeah, money as well into it. You’ll see results as long as neighbors don’t just pop the first but they see with decent antlers.

Comment

There he is.

Again, not world beating at that time but that’s a hell of a start for a 3-3.5 year old Leon County deer.

Fortunately the other LF neighbors have started feeding better so it should make a bit more of a difference. Hopefully.

As long as they stop shooting young anyway.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Our neighbor did the same thing a few years back. The two stands along that side of the property have absolutely changed. We drew a lot of deer out of their property. Because of it we do not see near the numbers at either of these stands. But the stand furthest in the back, for whatever reason, tends to hold majority bucks now. Its like its a safe haven for them and they just hide out back there after the rut. All I can tell you is to keep feeding and hunting and hope for the best. Your numbers will bounce back some and your deer will get used to not being able to travel through there.

Comment

fence has been up now for about 4 seasons - first season when that fence was up id see deer on both sides just sitting there staring at each other through the fence - quite interesting - i figured it would take a couple years to see what was gonna happen
            other issue - since they put up the fence we got coyotes - neighbor has been fighting them since the fence went up -looks to be a coyote magnet - they finally put that flap down on the ground around whole fence so im thinking the increase coyotes was keeping the deer out of the area - though - the dogs havent affected the numbers on the other half of the property.

Comment

Uphill battle for sure - cannot control neighbors and most will shoot anything with a horn on it - good luck to you

Comment

Originally posted by BURTONboy View Post
                Our neighbor did the same thing a few years back. The two stands along that side of the property have absolutely changed. We drew a lot of deer out of their property. Because of it we do not see near the numbers at either of these stands. But the stand furthest in the back, for whatever reason, tends to hold majority bucks now. Its like its a safe haven for them and they just hide out back there after the rut. All I can tell you is to keep feeding and hunting and hope for the best. Your numbers will bounce back some and your deer will get used to not being able to travel through there.

Probably why they fenced it. Stands along fence lines can cause this.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                X