No announcement yet.

Trapping Season 2022-2023

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Coyotes are a little scarce, but so are the coons. I've trapped 16 this fall and 28 since January.
    It's nice to not have your coyote sets clogged or dug up by a coon.
    Had 2 deer snaps, but that's not too bad.

Comment

Trapper, I got James Lucero's book about 2 months ago, and he calls that "marinated" hide, "coyote in a bottle".

Comment

Originally posted by Brute Killer View Post
        Trapper, I got James Lucero's book about 2 months ago, and he calls that "marinated" hide, "coyote in a bottle".
        Haha good stuff!

Caught a cat and a coyote this November and ranch hand got a nice male male can’t figure out how to post pictures but again Bridger fully modified #3s and a mixed of lure baits and urine.

Comment

Well I’m pulling my m44s off my contract jobs next Tuesday to go mule deer hunting in the southwest panhandle. For years I stayed too busy trapping to hunt, actually I took on way too much work. Word to you guys thinking about trapping for hire, doing something you love for money will often turn it into a job. I’m not saying don’t do it, but just be cautious. Good coyote men are hard to find and in high demand, so once you get your name out there it doesn’t take long to get overextended. I realize no one inquired or asked for this advice, just wanted to give it. It’s easy to see some of y’all have a real passion for trapping and it would be easy to go down the same road as me. I used to really love trapping, I over committed and got burned out. I’ve scaled back my trapping, limiting it to places closer to home and that’s helped a lot. I enjoy visiting this thread, to learn what I can and help others.

Comment

Well we have a cat, and two different coyotes hitting our gut pile. Setting blind sets and probably 3 snares this evening.

Comment

Ok just got the gut pile set. Probably will add more snares later as new trails appear.
              Attached Files

Comment

Sharkhunter you been quiet lately, good to see you back in the saddle. That’s a big ol loud set, outta be productive with these cooler temps. Can’t wait to see the outcome.

Comment

Originally posted by Trapper76 View Post
                  Sharkhunter you been quiet lately, good to see you back in the saddle. That’s a big ol loud set, outta be productive with these cooler temps. Can’t wait to see the outcome.
                  Yes it is ! I very seldom make sets like that. Most of mine you can step on and wouldn’t know it. A boy on the lease shot a good buck this morning with a 22-250. Lots of bloodshot trimmings off that buck went in the bottom of that hole. It will be interesting to see what it catches.

Comment

Are y’all running 2 or 4 coil traps? Looking to buy a few to try my hand at it. Thanks in advance.

Comment

Originally posted by Kmiles84 View Post
                      Are y’all running 2 or 4 coil traps? Looking to buy a few to try my hand at it. Thanks in advance.
                      I started with 2coil and caught plenty of coyotes with them. When I trap the most is in late winter and we get a ton of rain. I set off several traps out of wet trap beds and was not happy at all with the speed! The heavy wet dirt really slowed them down. I run all 4 could now. Much better in my opinion! They can be a bear to set at times but I like them. If it’s dry it doesn’t matter 2 coils are great!

Comment

10/4, that makes sense. Thanks for your reply

Comment

You can replace the coils on 2 coil with better springs too if you want to.
                          We run 4 coil on most of our traps also.

Comment

Well looks like that loud dirt hole with deer meat scraps did the trick. She was one of three that worked the set. Hope to work on the others in the next couple of days. Didn’t have time to reset so I’ll need to do that in the morning. Probably add a trap outside the catch circle and a couple more up the trail.
                            Attached Files
                            Last edited by sharkhunter; 11-16-2022, 10:16 AM.

Comment

Nice catch, what traps are you running?

Comment

Originally posted by Kmiles84 View Post
                                Nice catch, what traps are you running?
                                NO BS K9 extremes with the new wire levers. It’s a beast !

Comment

Working...
                                X