Oat food plot

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Oat food plot

It was looking really good up until Wednesday. 1 acre put in the last of October and got good rains. Looked at it yesterday and it looks like it got whupped with an ugly stik. My first year for oats. Will it come back?

Obviously it froze. Should green up for a bit come early spring.

Comment

That’s why I plant winter wheat. Oats are very susceptible to freezing, WW isn’t and is still very attractive to deer.

Comment

^ this. When I was in high school I always planted winter wheat for the horses to rotate on and off of so the harsh weather didn't beat it up.

Comment

Buckforage oats are the only freeze tolerant oats that I am aware of

Comment

TAMO 606 oats have pretty darn good cold tolerance.

Comment

My wheat got the tips burnt pretty bad also, I’ll try to get pics later today

Comment

Might want to mix in cereal rye next planting. The oats are more attractive to deer, but the cereal rye handles the cold much better and is the first thing to start growing again in the spring

Comment

Originally posted by Drycreek3189 View Post
                  That’s why I plant winter wheat. Oats are very susceptible to freezing, WW isn’t and is still very attractive to deer.
                  This

Comment

Mine burnt up too. Should bounce back if we get some much needed moisture.

Comment

My oats look pretty good, a little rain would help. Daikon radishes froze out and are dying off but that should really help the soil.

Comment

Ours took a beating with the freeze and lack of moisture. In the good years deer like the oats way more than the wheat, in our area. We almost didn’t plant, but decided to do 500lbs worth without a grain drill. Glad we did, it still has some green in it. Without moisture it may not make it.

Comment

Wheat after cold spell
                          Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by Radar View Post
                            My oats look pretty good, a little rain would help. Daikon radishes froze out and are dying off but that should really help the soil.
                            My Daikon radishes were planted too late to get any growth. They’re there, at least the last time I was at the lease, but barely above the wheat. We didn’t have any moisture until mid October and they just didn’t get enough growth before it got cold.

Comment

Originally posted by huntmaster View Post
                              Buckforage oats are the only freeze tolerant oats that I am aware of
                              I hope you are correct, but since the hard freeze mine aren’t looking to good on my return home today. They have definitely lost their highly bright green color.

Comment

Working...
                              X