help me disconnect from cable

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by ultralite09 View Post
    For yall running kodi on a jailbroken firestick, what all does it entail, do the programs/movies update themselves or do I need to do anything to get new shows?

Really interested in one.
    if set up correctly the programs, add ons, and movies/shows all update themselves.

dont buy one that someone else jailbreaks for you. do it your self so you know its set up right. it is not hard.

Comment

Originally posted by wes122984 View Post
      if set up correctly the programs, add ons, and movies/shows all update themselves.

dont buy one that someone else jailbreaks for you. do it your self so you know its set up right. it is not hard.
      Got a link to a good tutorial on how to do it all properly? I'm gonna order one soon if it's easy to do myself.

Comment

I cut probably 9 years ago.
        1)I use a dedicated Home Theatre PC (HTPC), with DVD drive. 15MBPS down.
        2) Buy a 2 channel TV tuner card, so you can record and watch different channels. Windows Media Center was discontinued in W10, so you will have to preview the 3rd party programs for this, your computer will be like a TiVO
        3) Use a mounted antennae like posted above. Don't use a small set top one.
        4) Back up all of your family photos on the HTPC. Set your screensaver to photo show, you get to see all your family/hunting photos daily on the TV when you are not watching.
        5) Netflix and Amazon Prime video are your friends.
        6) With a HTPC, you can still stream some fox news, espn, and pirate channels if you like.
        7) Logitech DiNOVO is a MUST!!!

In my opinion, this set up DOMINATES Roku/smart tv/smart blue ray. I use this in living room, and the smart tv/players in other rooms that need only limited functionality.

Comment

I'm all for this, but my crutch is football season. Suggestions?

Comment

Tagged

Comment

Well here we go.......we have Amazon prime, Hulu, Netflix, and Roku. I have tried the "Leaf" HD antenna to no avail. $100 bucks down the drain. Other than that, satisfied with everything else.

Comment

Originally posted by MIHunter View Post
                I'm all for this, but my crutch is football season. Suggestions?
                Subscribe to SlingTV. The basic package is about 20 channels for $25/mo + $10 more for their ESPN sports package. I get ESPN, ESPN2, ESPN U, ESPNews, SEC network (for Aggie games - whoop!) + a few other random sports channels.

This is a streaming service, so there a couple of different ways to watch it. YOu can watch on your laptop, tablet, or smartphone, and also get a box to plug into your TV. I bought 3 months or service up front and they gave me a Roku 3 box for half price. Once I got the box set up we also subscribed to Hulu and Netflix ($8 each) so now we get more recent TV shows & movies.

Total bill with Sling and streaming services is about $55/mo + internet service. I kept AT&T internet but dropped the Uverse TV service and I'm saving $100 every month. We do have an HD antenna for local news & cop shows, etc. NBC & ABC come in clearly, but CBS is spotty and I have to move the antenna around to pull in a good CBS signal - so we don't watch it the channel much anymore.

Comment

I need to do this myself

Comment

Originally posted by lonestarag View Post
                    Subscribe to SlingTV. The basic package is about 20 channels for $25/mo + $10 more for their ESPN sports package. I get ESPN, ESPN2, ESPN U, ESPNews, SEC network (for Aggie games - whoop!) + a few other random sports channels.

This is a streaming service, so there a couple of different ways to watch it. YOu can watch on your laptop, tablet, or smartphone, and also get a box to plug into your TV. I bought 3 months or service up front and they gave me a Roku 3 box for half price. Once I got the box set up we also subscribed to Hulu and Netflix ($8 each) so now we get more recent TV shows & movies.

Total bill with Sling and streaming services is about $55/mo + internet service. I kept AT&T internet but dropped the Uverse TV service and I'm saving $100 every month. We do have an HD antenna for local news & cop shows, etc. NBC & ABC come in clearly, but CBS is spotty and I have to move the antenna around to pull in a good CBS signal - so we don't watch it the channel much anymore.

This is what we did earlier this month minus the antenna. Looking forward to the savings.

Comment

Originally posted by Hoggslayer View Post
                      How can you get PPV events with one of these?
                      Originally posted by wes122984 View Post
                      once you get kodi there's a few add on for it that stream the ppv events
                      That's stealing.
                      Might want to delete since we have so many LEO on here.

Comment

Originally posted by lonestarag View Post

How much do you pay for internet each month?

Comment

I did a DIY thread here a couple yrs ago (?) of an antenna build I did. I currently get 44 channels in real good of free, OTA television! We love it!!!

Comment

It seem like all of these options rely on a good high speed internet connection. I live in an area where digital antennas work like antique rabbit ears with poor quality pictures, broken reception and constantly having to adjust its position. I am also limited to the amount of monthly data streaming at 15Gs. So to be able to get even decent local channel I had to go with a satellite provider. It sucks but with out good internet there are not many options.

Comment

Originally posted by Zookeeper View Post
                              It seem like all of these options rely on a good high speed internet connection. I live in an area where digital antennas work like antique rabbit ears with poor quality pictures, broken reception and constantly having to adjust its position. I am also limited to the amount of monthly data streaming at 15Gs. So to be able to get even decent local channel I had to go with a satellite provider. It sucks but with out good internet there are not many options.
                              Check into an antenna booster/pre-amp. I have one I purchased for ours but it is too strong and kills our local channels if you are interested. BTW, I'm in the middle of town and have strong local signals.

Comment

Originally posted by WyoBull View Post
                                A lot of guys around here are going with Omnilyfe. They swear by it, no contracts, about $28 bucks a month and over 300 channels. I have not made the move yet but am thinking hard about it.
                                I was just looking at their website. How does their service work when you have several TVs?

I'm sick of paying Directv $158.00/month.

Comment

Working...
                                X