2020 Chicken Raising Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Shake N' Bake View Post
    Thanks! Please subscribe! We have plans for more chicken related videos!
    Oh, I did subscribe. I always subscribe to channels with helpful content. I know it helps the people making the content and it helps me know when you put out new videos.

Sent from my LG-M430 using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by JackRyan View Post
      Oh, I did subscribe. I always subscribe to channels with helpful content. I know it helps the people making the content and it helps me know when you put out new videos.

Sent from my LG-M430 using Tapatalk
      Thank you! It does help!

Comment

We picked up 5 more hens from a local guy on Craigslist. They came from Ohio and are molting pretty bad. They look rough but seem very healthy. That puts us at 15. Anymore would be over kill as far as eggs go.

Anybody have turkeys or guineas?
        Been thinking about getting about going that direction.

Comment

Originally posted by Rubi513 View Post
          Do you have any ceramic eggs in the nest?
          I have a few just in case of snakes.
          My hens generally lay more eggs in the nests that have the ceramic eggs.
          I have used golf balls as well.

So I tried putting golf balls in the nest. 2 days later and one or 2 hens are laying. Not sure if that got them going or not but i know it did'nt hurt! thanks for the tip!

Comment

Originally posted by Cardinal View Post
            My mom and sister have chickens and ducks and they give us all the eggs we can handle. I have always wanted to get into quail - any TBH'ers raising any for meat and/or eggs?
            I raised quail for awhile. Pretty easy to do . I watched tons of Youtube videos, built my own incubator out of a cheap ice chest (youtube vid) ordered eggs out of Louisiana, built a brooder pen, and then regular quail pens. They grow fast. Each hen will lay 1 egg per day. I had 10 hens, eggs added up quickly. Good eating too. I had 1 rooster with 5 hens and would use those eggs to hatch more.

Comment

Originally posted by Browning270 View Post
              So I tried putting golf balls in the nest. 2 days later and one or 2 hens are laying. Not sure if that got them going or not but i know it did'nt hurt! thanks for the tip!
              Awesome!

Comment

My question is how messy are they if they were to get on my porch and how much space do they need?

Comment

Originally posted by 3DW5 View Post
                  My question is how messy are they if they were to get on my porch and how much space do they need?
                  They love to shat on the porch, garage, etc...

Comment

We have 7 laying hens now and 17 4 week old chicks . Kids high light if the day is getting the eggs and counting them . He is 3 . We also have 3 peacocks . Looking for Muscovy ducks . Going to start on building a cabinet incubator on my days off.

Comment

My package arrived today.

-john

Comment

My buddy got two laying hens from a friend and put them in his backyard. After a week, they are not laying. Any idea what he can do to encourage them return to laying eggs?

Comment

Originally posted by Outback View Post
                          My buddy got two laying hens from a friend and put them in his backyard. After a week, they are not laying. Any idea what he can do to encourage them return to laying eggs?
                          Keep them well fed and give them a little time. You can also put some fake egg sin the nesting box. They may also be laying somewhere in the yard that your buddy has not found yet.

-john

Comment

For you guys that have chickens in a neighborhood......how big of a space do you need to realistically consider getting a couple of chickens? And how big of a mess on a concrete patio could 2-3 chickens really make?

My backyard is about 55x40 and I have a concrete patio that is about 26x15.

Thanks.

Comment

Originally posted by Rounder View Post
                              For you guys that have chickens in a neighborhood......how big of a space do you need to realistically consider getting a couple of chickens? And how big of a mess on a concrete patio could 2-3 chickens really make?

My backyard is about 55x40 and I have a concrete patio that is about 26x15.

Thanks.
                              Thinking the exact thing, in for the answer.

Comment

Originally posted by 3DW5 View Post
                                Thinking the exact thing, in for the answer.

I have 8 chickens in a 12x12 wire dog kennel . They do fine

Comment

Working...
                                X