No announcement yet.

Anyone else hunt out of a saddle?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I have a Treesuit that is very similar to your saddle. I ordered it years ago and it is very comfortable. I wear it to the woods and usually already have a stik ladder set up on the tree I plan on hunting out of or I can use the screw in steps. It is mae to either sit in or to lean back against, very adjustable. It took a couple of times of using it to figure out the most comfortable way o using it. I don't know what happened to the company that made them, but apparently they went out of business, I think they were made in Mississippi.
    Grits

Comment

Well, I sat all weekend in the saddle and I am liking it more and more. If you hunt mobile, without permanent stands, there is really no easier setup. Also, the thing is dang near impossible to fall out of. I fell asleep in it on Saturday, dozed off for about 30 minutes. I will be adding one or two of the smaller "minimalist" saddles for next year, and probably switching from climbing sticks to grade 8 bolts slid into pre-drilled holes for climbing. But, I will probably forever be in a saddle now. Between the weight reduction and the comfort, I just can't go back to stands.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

You'll like using the bolts, we use them too, very easy and safe. We dip ours in plasti-dip to silence them and add some texture.

Comment

Realized I hadn't added my minimalist saddle to this thread yet.
          I modified an already existing product called a Sit Drag. Basically just cut off their original tether, added a waist belt, folded and sewed the loops to make carabiners easy to get off and on, added a Molle loop to each side for some future dump pouches, and added 3 little loops on the bottom for gear ties to anchor climbing sticks and platforms to. The Sit Drag is like $35, and the upholstery shop charged me $25 for the sewing.

Now I just need linesman spurs to replace my climbing sticks...

Comment

When I lived near the blue ridge in VA, I found that my rock climbing harness was the perfect answer! Never looked back after that, but I doubt too many people have a harness just lying around like I did

Can sometimes find them cheap on eBay for anyone interested that doesn't want to build one or for anyone that sucks at sewing like me.

Comment

Originally posted by straightGrizzly View Post
              When I lived near the blue ridge in VA, I found that my rock climbing harness was the perfect answer! Never looked back after that, but I doubt too many people have a harness just lying around like I did

Can sometimes find them cheap on eBay for anyone interested that doesn't want to build one or for anyone that sucks at sewing like me.

I just can't do long sits in a climbing harness, otherwise I would do that. I get less pressure spots in the slings. I'm hoping to use spurs to climb, and rappel down with a ground length tether.

Comment

I have been looking into this a lot. I just don't trust myself to stitch things up then have to wear a rock climbing harness for the extra safety measure. The wife would not be happy if I fell 20' out of a tree because I was sitting in a homemade rig. I am strongly considering the Guido's Web for next year and have not decided on the sticks with the aiders or the the Stepp Ladder. I like the sticks as they are faster but the Stepp Ladder really lows for mobility around limbs and can make a platform. although the platform that you have is very nice too.

Comment

Anyone else hunt out of a saddle?

Originally posted by gettin closer View Post
                  I have been looking into this a lot. I just don't trust myself to stitch things up then have to wear a rock climbing harness for the extra safety measure. The wife would not be happy if I fell 20' out of a tree because I was sitting in a homemade rig. I am strongly considering the Guido's Web for next year and have not decided on the sticks with the aiders or the the Stepp Ladder. I like the sticks as they are faster but the Stepp Ladder really lows for mobility around limbs and can make a platform. although the platform that you have is very nice too.

If you can drill or screw steps on the properties you hunt, look at the treehopper or EZKut bolt systems. You drill a hole in the tree and slide a very tightly fitting grade 8 bolt in as your step. Bolts slide in and out on your way up and down, prepped trees are very hard to see, and a full set of bolts will weigh about 2.5 pounds. Also, lots of guys are using linesman spikes for even more portable setups.

Supposedly the guidos web is insanely comfortable, but they are a bit heavy and hot for early season down here. The custom sewing on this sling is just holding the add-ons like dump pouches, belt strap so I can wear it in, tie off points... etc. All of the weight bearing fabric was factory sewn.

The circled items are the only modifications

Last edited by IkemanTX; 12-06-2016, 09:06 PM.

Comment

That is good to know. I have heard the Web can be hot during summer and early season but I suppose I need to test one of the sit drags and look into it a bit more. Lots of people on saddlehunter.com really like them. I have looked into the bolt method and my cousin and I are going to try that on his place but I also want something for public land as well. That is where the helium sticks or Stepp Ladder would come in.

Comment

Originally posted by IkemanTX View Post
                      They are much more comfortable than a climber or hang on stand, and honestly I feel much safer in it. Also, if your bridge (the connection from your saddle to your tree strap) is a decent length, you can shoot 360° around the tree. I run mine shorter so I can only comfortably shoot around 280°-300°. Still much more than a treestand affords you.

Not trying to derail this thread, but I have used a rock climbing harness and hang on the last two years. I also have 360° range using that type of a harness.

Back to your regularly scheduled programming...

Comment

i love TBH.

I was just lamenting a spot on public land. Getting to the right "X" has been hard. All the trees are wrong for a climber (almost hurt myself last time).

I missed a buck this year because I was facing the wrong way and wrapped around the tree shooting behind it.

Comment

I need some pictures ... I can't visualize how this thing is used.

And since there's nothing behind you (I think), how on Earth do you take a nap?

Comment

Originally posted by Texastaxi View Post
                            I need some pictures ... I can't visualize how this thing is used.

And since there's nothing behind you (I think), how on Earth do you take a nap?

Lol

Comment

Interesting.

I'd like to see an action photo as well.... shooting and napping.
                              Hunting Videos & Flickr Pix

Comment

Following.

Definitely going to try a setup like this in the future. It's a pain carrying in my hang on stand, sticks, bow, and any other gear.

Comment

Working...
                                X