Engine decision on '97 Chevy Z71

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Engine decision on '97 Chevy Z71

I have a '97 chevy with 163,000 miles. It has progressively ran rougher and rougher at idle. My mechanic says 3 of the 8 cylinders are at less than 80 PSI and recommends a new engine. The cost to replace is $5,000 turnkey and the new engine comes with a 100,000 mile warranty. I wonder if an overhaul is a reasonable option.

Any thoughts or suggestions? The truck is in really good shape. I had the transmission rebuilt a year ago. I have hoped to get several more years out of it.

$5000 sounds extremely reasonable to me.

Comment

$5K for an all new engine w/100K mile warranty sounds good to me if your goal is several more years with the truck.

Comment

Does it smoke??
        It could just need a tune up.. Many things can cause your problem. I own 4 90's truck.. Get a compression gauge and check it yourself. You should be over 130 psi on each cylinder. Those engines are good for many more miles than that if routine oil changes have happened. It could also be your injectors. Those spider injectors will wear out..

I bought a brand new crate motor straight from GM for less than $3,000 including freight.
        Last edited by PondPopper; 06-04-2021, 09:42 AM.

Comment

Rebuild it. Not much to hone and re ring.

Comment

Originally posted by ttaxidermy View Post
            I bought a brand new crate motor straight from GM for less than $3,000 including freight.
            That doesn't include labor though.

If the truck is in good shape otherwise I'd do it. Heck, I was about ready to put a new transmission in mine to the tune of about $7k till I found out it was just the TCM.

$5k is a lot better than the cost of a new or used truck now.

Comment

Dad just a dropped an engine in his 97” Z71. Cost him a little less, but same warranty.

Comment

you're getting good recommendations but my recommendation is let me take it off your hands and you go get you a new one. kidding of course. I love that model of truck.

Comment

Dad just a dropped an engine in his 97” Z71. Cost him a little less, but same warranty.

AutoCzech, 309 E Oak St, West, TX 76691

They do good work

Comment

We put over 300k on 4 or 5 of those trucks. I might have someone else give you a diagnosis.

I would think replacing that 350 would be quite a bit cheaper than 5k, but I havn't looked into anything like that in a long time. I'd have that one bored and rebuilt, new cam/valves/lifters, and have the heads worked a little. I don't see the point in buying new heads and block, when the 350 chevy is the most rebuildable engine ever built, with the most aftermarket support.
                    Last edited by Dale Moser; 06-04-2021, 09:51 AM.

Comment

Dad spent 3 something

Comment

5000 turnkey is what I do, I remember back in high school in 1995 my buddy had a midnight blue z71 and it was beautiful.

Comment

Sold my '98 for $1,000 with 240K miles on it when the head gasket failed about 4 years ago.
                          Probably one of the decisions I regret the most; really miss that truck.

Assuming that's the crate engine from GM; I'd say it's worth the $5K if you like the truck

Comment

That year will become a classic in another year or two. No more emissions test. Just a safety inspection. And you can build it any way you want. 24 years and your a classic after that.

The fish are biting, and there's hogs to be kill-t. Gotta go!

Comment

And that price is very reasonable. I'm having an LS 5.3 built for my '89 2500 Xcab at the present.

The fish are biting, and there's hogs to be kill-t. Gotta go!

Comment

Working...
                              X