Backyard Stick Burners

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Backyard Stick Burners

How many of you guys cook on smaller stick burners? We have had a large offset for years but it takes alot of wood to get going and my FIL used it mostly for brisket and such.

Wife decided to get me an Oklahoma Joe for an early Fathers Day gift. Already did some chicken and pork ribs and they turned out great. Fire management is a little tough on these smalls pits though. Anybody else use these backyard offsets?

Seasoned up

Foil Wrap after 2.5hrs hickory smoke @250 deg.

Finished Product

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Which pit are you running? Those ribs look a touch underdone to me but well on their way to being great!

Comment

Backyard Stick Burners

Originally posted by eradicator View Post
      Which pit are you running? Those ribs look a touch underdone to me but well on their way to being great!

I’m using the Hondo. I believe it was replaced by the Amarillo.

They might look that way, but I assure they were fully cooked. 2.5 hrs unwrapped at 250, wrapped and added more coals and fluctuated 275-300 for another 2.5 hours. Meat was above the 145 degree threshold and were tender. I admit i’m not good enough to make them fall off the bone and still be juicy. I tend to dry them out bad.

Which smoker do you use? I find myself having to add fuel every 20-25 minutes to try and hold temperature. Am i doing something wrong?
      On the big smoker, i would just add 4-5 split pieces oak (18-20” long)and be good for at least 1.5 hours. I guess its just not as efficient as a larger fire box

Last edited by bloodstick; 05-29-2021, 08:29 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by bloodstick View Post
        I’m using the Hondo. I believe it was replaced by the Amarillo.

They might look that way, but I assure they were fully cooked. 2.5 hrs unwrapped at 250, wrapped and added more coals and fluctuated 275-300 for another 2.5 hours. Meat was above the 145 degree threshold and were tender. I admit i’m not good enough to make them fall off the bone and still be juicy. I tend to dry them out bad.

Which smoker do you use? I find myself having to add fuel every 20-25 minutes to try and hold temperature. Am i doing something wrong?
        On the big smoker, i would just add 4-5 split pieces oak (18-20” long)and be good for at least 1.5 hours. I guess its just not as efficient as a larger fire box

I've used a vertical offset for many years now. I don't imagine you are doing anything wrong, just have to learn how the new cooker 'works'. Maybe turn it 90 degrees to the wind if that's a factor?

Comment

I’ve never used a small offset. I’m just used to my 250 gal offset. But I’m sure it’ll probably be the same with wind draft. Put the firebox on the upwind side and let it do it’s thing.
          Did these ribs tonight. 3 hours smoke, 1 1/2 hour wrapped after adding honey and brown sugar, then another hour out of the foil to firm back up. Basted with a butter and BBQ sauce mixture after taking them out of the foil.

Comment

Small chunks of wood for small smokers.

Comment

Originally posted by txtimetravler View Post
              ^^^This^^^

Comment

I put 10-15 lbs of good charcoal in mine and light it with a pear burner. Let it get white and then add my wood. I let it get real hot 500 degrees or more and then damper down to about 300-350. Put my meat on and damper down until 225-250. I don’t open the lid for 5-6 hours on briskets and butts, if your looking you ain’t cooking. The charcoal helps hold the heat and I add wood but not as much without the charcoal. Once it gets to my cooking temp my pit holds it really well so not much adding wood and adjusting dampers for several hours.

Comment

I prefer small ones. Less wood, better product.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

Comment

I installed a propane burner in my Oklahoma Joe’s to get wood started and to help regulate heat. Really helps to save on wood.

Comment

Originally posted by Burntorange Bowhunter View Post
                      I prefer small ones. Less wood, better product.

That's NOT what she said

Comment

Originally posted by eradicator View Post
                        That's NOT what she said
                        [emoji23][emoji38][emoji23]

Comment

Originally posted by txtimetravler View Post
                          This^^^

I also read a good post by someone who said learn what temp the smoker likes to be with minimal effort and learn to cook at them temp instead of trying to force it do something else. I had an Oklahoma Joe for years and never 👎 nce cooked a decent w on it’ temp fluctuations were brutal. If I had just not fought it and learned to cook at 285 I would have had much better success.

Comment

Originally posted by Mertzon Man View Post
                            I put 10-15 lbs of good charcoal in mine and light it with a pear burner. Let it get white and then add my wood. I let it get real hot 500 degrees or more and then damper down to about 300-350. Put my meat on and damper down until 225-250. I don’t open the lid for 5-6 hours on briskets and butts, if your looking you ain’t cooking. The charcoal helps hold the heat and I add wood but not as much without the charcoal. Once it gets to my cooking temp my pit holds it really well so not much adding wood and adjusting dampers for several hours.

This^^^

Comment

Originally posted by JES View Post
                              This^^^

I also read a good post by someone who said learn what temp the smoker likes to be with minimal effort and learn to cook at them temp instead of trying to force it do something else. I had an Oklahoma Joe for years and never [emoji107] nce cooked a decent w on it’ temp fluctuations were brutal. If I had just not fought it and learned to cook at 285 I would have had much better success.

After a handful of cooks on it, i noticed it like to hover above 275 with half damper closed. If i close it any further, my temp plummets and i get bitter white smoke.

I started using Royal Oak or B&B Lump charcoal to start. I find it burns better than briquettes.
                              And HEB carries bags of smoking wood. Cherry, apple, pecan, hickory, and oak in small manageable pieces. These are what i used lately. Nearly a whole bag is needed for one 5 hour cook. But i’m still learning this pit and its been addicting to say the least. I used to be a grilling type guy, hot and fast cook over searing coals. This gives me more time to drink beer Lol.

Comment

Working...
                              X