Academy and IMR 4064: is this price right? Or is it gouging the consumer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Academy and IMR 4064: is this price right? Or is it gouging the consumer

Just wondering what's going on here. Says sold out. But a local store had it. And was selling it at this price. Would you consider it price gouging? Cause it can be got for normal retail, even at Hodgdon's web store sometimes for 36.99. And everybody knows, even Hodgdon admits that retail places sell it cheaper than Hodgdon does.

When I saw this, I wrote Academy and told them what I thought. Sure, they have the same right as everyone else. But this is not what they are known to do.

I really need it so I would have bought it. You need to blame all the people stockpiling crazy numbers. 50k primers, 200 lbs powder, 30k bullets. Come on who needs that much. **** FOMO taking over.

Comment

Originally posted by Txhunter3000 View Post
      I really need it so I would have bought it. You need to blame all the people stockpiling crazy numbers. 50k primers, 200 lbs powder, 30k bullets. Come on who needs that much. **** FOMO taking over.

You understand that’s not the issue right? There’s 8+million new gun owners in this country in the past year. Nationwide riots, a pandemic, and an anti gun president have quite the effect on firearms and related sales which includes reloading components. People who’ve had 50k primers on hand for the past 5 years arent the problem and people buying stuff during this non sense don’t have 50k on hand.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

It's the hoarders doing most of the damage. I've read the forums and seen the pics.

Comment

Very little of this shortage is due to hoarding. 8m new gun owners and all government agencies have been instructed to increase stockpiles of ammo. This along with shortages of raw materials and covid delays.

Comment

It’s pretty crazy out there. I try to stay clear of the the buying and selling of the reloading and ammo stuff, what people do is their business and certainly not mine. However, it drives be bonkers when I see people buying stuff they don’t even need just to leverage it out in the market for something they require.... I see people doing it on here all the time.... we know who you are...

I was coming back from CC a few weeks ago and stopped in the Carter’s on 59. I walked around a while and finally made my way back to the reloading section. Much to my surprise they had two 100 count bags of Winchester 9mm brass cases on the shelf. I reload for a g19 so I picked up both bags and shopped a little more. I got to thinking I have about 500 once fired cases at home and I really didn’t “need” both bags. I ended up taking one and put it back on the shelf, hopeful somebody that needed it more than me would pick it up.

Now look, I’m nobody but I try to do the right thing. I’m just not one to take advantage of other folks and have tried to do my part during all this not to add to the madness. People have just lost their minds, funny enough a lot of the same guys hoarding ammo and reloading supplies these days are the same cats who were hating on all the toilet paper hoarders 12 months ago. Pot meet Kettle....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Well I have way more than you listed by a bunch and I can assure you I’m not to blame, I started my stockpile in the mid 90’s and added to it when the times were good and products cheap. I’ve been through enough of the lean times to learn my lesson decades ago. Some guys complain but it’s their own fault for not being better prepared, anyone that’s reloaded for any length of time shouldn’t be in a bind and if they are it’s their own fault IMO
              The newer guys will have learned the lesson I learned years ago and will be like me in 20 years with way to much stuff.

Comment

Saw a picture today of a guy that just received 25 boxes of a 190 gr. Hornady bullet. Come on who buys 2500 at one time.

Comment

No such thing as gouging or hoarding. You are either prepared or ya ain't. Don't blame the people prepared or the ones selling it. Too many whiners. Supply and demand. If you really need it, buy it and don't cry.

Comment

I stop by Academy twice a week and I can assure you there are people snatching up ammo that has no clue as to what they are even buying. Heck I saw some guys getting primers the other day and they didn't even realize that they were for reloading. I'm not loaded in the ammo dept, but I refuse to buy stuff just because I can. I may buy a box every few weeks if they have specifically what i'm looking for. Crazy times!

Comment

Not crying, i am prepared, I buy when I need something but not in excess. I just do the right thing.

Comment

3 posts and all whining.

Comment

Saw a picture today of a guy that just received 25 boxes of a 190 gr. Hornady bullet. Come on who buys 2500 at one time.
                          I just put in an order for 10,000. I shoot 5 to 6k rounds a year. Not uncommon at all.

Comment

Academy generally doesn’t gouge.
                            It’s a few bucks.

Comment

Originally posted by meltingfeather View Post
                              Academy generally doesn’t gouge.
                              It’s a few bucks.

$45 / lb. ??? yeah, its gouging.

Comment

Working...
                              X