"Small" HF Questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

"Small" HF Questions

Before we get started I know HF whether large or small isn't for everyone. If you really feel the need to be an *** and bash go ahead and for the rest please ignore those. I also know every property is different and a 300 ac HF place may hunt harder than a 1000 acre HF place. This thread isn't really about that either.

So, with all of the disclaimers on to my question. On a small HF place how much are the animals dependent on you for food, water, etc.? We are looking for land to buy and may look at some "small" HF places. My definition or what we are potentially looking at per budget is 300-1000 acres. Again I know all places are different as some more water than others (tanks, more windmills, etc.) but without living out there we are a little nervous about the animals if say a windmill or pump breaks and it is a few weeks before we realize and/or get it fixed. Is this a legit concern?

On our current place (not HF) we go out there once a month to fill feeders, water troughs, etc. but even if not we have a pump that feeds a large holding tank that goes to a water trough so the animals always have water even if it is longer. We have never had issues with running out of water, or food for that matter, going once a month But even if so, on a non HF place the animals could travel for food, water, etc. Hopefully this is clear, we are just trying to get all the info we can while we look at places and this is a concern that came up. My dad raises cattle and I think he is looking at it from that standpoint of how dependent they can be on us. Thanks for any help.

depends on are of the state and how many mouths you have to be honest. our neighbor out here in Junction has 157 acres HF with roughly 70 mouths on it. (whitetail, axis, blackbuck, and brought in pigs) they are 100% dependent on our neighbors for food. sure there is some natural forage available but the honest truth is, for that many animals to survive the cedar covered hill country, they are totally depending on the feed from the property owners. it just all boils down to 1, how many mouths do you have, and 2, whats the terrain offer.

Comment

Originally posted by cehorn View Post
      Before we get started I know HF whether large or small isn't for everyone. If you really feel the need to be an *** and bash go ahead and for the rest please ignore those. I also know every property is different and a 300 ac HF place may hunt harder than a 1000 acre HF place. This thread isn't really about that either.

So, with all of the disclaimers on to my question. On a small HF place how much are the animals dependent on you for food, water, etc.? We are looking for land to buy and may look at some "small" HF places. My definition or what we are potentially looking at per budget is 300-1000 acres. Again I know all places are different as some more water than others (tanks, more windmills, etc.) but without living out there we are a little nervous about the animals if say a windmill or pump breaks and it is a few weeks before we realize and/or get it fixed. Is this a legit concern?

On our current place (not HF) we go out there once a month to fill feeders, water troughs, etc. but even if not we have a pump that feeds a large holding tank that goes to a water trough so the animals always have water even if it is longer. We have never had issues with running out of water, or food for that matter, going once a month But even if so, on a non HF place the animals could travel for food, water, etc. Hopefully this is clear, we are just trying to get all the info we can while we look at places and this is a concern that came up. My dad raises cattle and I think he is looking at it from that standpoint of how dependent they can be on us. Thanks for any help.
      100% depends on how many animals you keep on the place. If you keep them thinned out enough so they have natural forage there's little worry except a major drought.

Water depends on location. If the well is the only source it would be a high concern.

Comment

Make Low Fences Great Again!

There is a thread that I believe is 5-6 yrs old but continuously updated. The family did something similar as you smaller place HF. Added nice bucks and black bucks. They had water running through the place. If you HF a place and not sure about reliable water whether you are there or not, you turned it into a prison camp and have character issues. Which I would believe you do not fall in that category. I think your dad's approach will be a solid one even if cattle never cross the gate.

Comment

Originally posted by RiverRat1 View Post
          100% depends on how many animals you keep on the place. If you keep them thinned out enough so they have natural forage there's little worry except a major drought.

Water depends on location. If the well is the only source it would be a high concern.
          Good thoughts and somewhat inline with what I was thinking. As long as you keep the deer herd close to a non HF holding capacity there shouldn't bee too much concern with a fence. Again, assuming reliable water.

Originally posted by Big Lee View Post
          Make Low Fences Great Again!

There is a thread that I believe is 5-6 yrs old but continuously updated. The family did something similar as you smaller place HF. Added nice bucks and black bucks. They had water running through the place. If you HF a place and not sure about reliable water whether you are there or not, you turned it into a prison camp and have character issues. Which I would believe you do not fall in that category. I think your dad's approach will be a solid one even if cattle never cross the gate.
          Agree and I think it all depends on reliable water. I don't think I would consider a place that doesn't have something that will hold/store water whether it is an earthen tank or a concrete holding tank fed by a pump or windmill.

Comment

All depends on carrying capacity. We have a creek we can run water down and it will hold water for a good long while. We also have surface water scattered around the ranch. We could leave it for a good long while without worrying about the animals.....We don't.....but we could. Going monthly should be fine assuming you have enough water/food scattered.

Comment

The feed bill would put me in the poor house.

Comment

Where ever you land pay the local feed store to put you on a program to keep your feeders filled. I was going out once a month like you and killing myself slinging protein in the heat of the summer when the animals couldn’t get enough. I got with the feed store and they come out and keep everything topped off. With their fee to fill the feeders I came out the same money wise because I pay the bulk price for feed when they fill with their trailer vs the bagged price I was paying doing it myself.

Comment

Originally posted by Throwin Darts View Post
                  Where ever you land pay the local feed store to put you on a program to keep your feeders filled. I was going out once a month like you and killing myself slinging protein in the heat of the summer when the animals couldn’t get enough. I got with the feed store and they come out and keep everything topped off. With their fee to fill the feeders I came out the same money wise because I pay the bulk price for feed when they fill with their trailer vs the bagged price I was paying doing it myself.
                  No matter what that is worth looking into. At least for protein. Corn wouldn't help us. Thanks.

Comment

Originally posted by Throwin Darts View Post
                    Yep. This is what we do also. We still do plenty of topping off, but the main fillings are much easier with the feed store guys.

Comment

between local feed store filling feeders and the information on here about water guzzlers or some sort of supplemental water system you will be fine. You will figure out their consumption patterns as well and be on alert for high consumption periods.

Comment

Depending on area you’re looking to buy, something that you should think about is disease coming through on a small HF place. You get anthrax come through it will wipe the place clean and if it doesn’t you’ll probably have to finish off the rest of the herd yourself. I’m not knocking HF small places just mentioning something to think about.

There is a place about 30 miles from us that was around 300 acres, they poured in all sorts of money growing really nice bucks. They killed some awesome deer and more power to them for growing the herd that they did. After about 7 or 8 years we had 2 really dry years followed by a really wet year, anthrax came through and destroyed the herd, cut their losses and sold the place.

I see you currently hunt in Uvalde, if that’s where you’re looking, I would consider this in your decisions if it was me.
                        Last edited by diamond10x; 04-15-2021, 01:42 PM.

Comment

Working...
                        X