OTC unit Archery elk in Colorado ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

OTC unit Archery elk in Colorado ?

Looking at going back to Colorado this year.
    Any advice on a good unit would be appreciated. Have spent 4 years in 75/751 only to watch the numbers decline fast. I feel it is time to move a little farther north. Feel free to PM me and would love to discuss any info.
    Not asking for your favorite spot, just a good unit to begin hunting this year.
    Thanks in advance,
    Your friend “D”

Originally posted by sasqy View Post
    Any advice on a good unit would be appreciated. Have spent 4 years in 75/751 only to watch the numbers decline fast. I feel it is time to move a little farther north. Feel free to PM me and would love to discuss any info.
    Thanks in advance,
    Your friend “D”
    I know there’s been a lot of discussion on this in the past. You might be able to do a search and find a good amount of info.

Comment

been a few years since we've been after a streak of going every year. We were around the Parshall area and it just got so hard walking thru the deadfall. I think some of that area had a burn in it in 2020 also. So I'm looking for a new area to explore myself. What a shame the damage the pine beetles did to that area. For years it was a awesome place. wont be like that again in my lifetime. just a great time with friends camping and hunting.

Comment

Following

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

If you spent 4 years in a unit you should know it pretty well and be to the point you're capitalizing on that knowledge. I'd be hard pressed to bail on 4 years' knowledge.

Comment

Originally posted by justletmein View Post
            If you spent 4 years in a unit you should know it pretty well and be to the point you're capitalizing on that knowledge. I'd be hard pressed to bail on 4 years' knowledge.
            Bingo

Comment

Originally posted by Grulla View Post
              Bingo
              Know the place like the back of my hand !
              Also know when it’s time to move on.
              The unit has gotten so overpopulated with the orange army and underpopulated with Wapati. This is why I’m looking at heading north.

Comment

Where were you going in from to hunt in 751?

Comment

Originally posted by Mudslinger View Post
                  Where were you going in from to hunt in 751?
                  Beaver meadows.
                  Lemon Res.
                  Middle Mountain.

Comment

Beaver meadows.
                    Lemon Res.
                    Middle Mountain.
                    It has been years since I hunted 751, but we came in from the Rio Grande Reservoir on horseback and hunted just south of the 751/76 boundary on both sides of the Los Pinos River. Lots of elk back then and lots of BIG elk.

I have been told it has been over-run with hunters.. Understand that 751 is a draw now.

Comment

all of the San Juan units are draw for archery now. Better look north of I70 for OTC

Comment

Yup !
                        Draw only now due to over hunted. Prob head up to the northern part of the state.
                        Lots of friends have hunted 751 for years
                        It has only declined for last 5-6 years.
                        Prob Craig or Steamboat.

Comment

Thanks in advance,

Your friend “D”
                          I would go for easy to draw units in several states instead of otc. Thats the strategy i implemented.

Still plan on hunting out of state for elk but not for easy draw/otc stuff. Looking to draw that mid to top tier stuff out of state now.

Sent from my SM-G781V using Tapatalk

Comment

Try and find a unit thats draw only. Theres a few that you can draw with 0 points.

Comment

Originally posted by RutnBuk View Post
                              Try and find a unit thats draw only. Theres a few that you can draw with 0 points.
                              I am totally unfamiliar with the draw system.
                              But prob need to look into it.

Comment

Working...
                              X