180” Deer or 30” Trout

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

180” Deer or 30” Trout

The thread on the 186” deer killed in Post got me thinking about the difference between catching big trout and shooting big deer.

I’ve always had the view that you can buy a big deer, or have your hands scout and tell you where to hunt, etc.

Catching a big trout is something that you have to do alone. I suppose you could hire a guide and he puts you in the right place, etc. but it’s still up to the angler to be able to trick the fish into feeding.

So, what do you put more respect in, a big trout or a big deer?

My preference is a big trout, but mostly because I fish alone and am normally wading and exclusively throwing lures. It’s just me and the fish.

I could care less about deer. Trout get me going though.

Comment

Headed to Alaska with my brother next September to complete that twosome!

Comment

Both are great goals. However to me it’s a 180 low fence bow kill. You can be a marginal fisherman and land a 30 inch trout. I feel it’s hard to be a marginal bowhunter and kill a 180, most of those guys aren’t hunting 180 acreage.

Comment

I’d rather catch a 30” Trout.

Comment

180 "earned" buck all day

Comment

Originally posted by Aggiehunter08 View Post
              Both are great goals. However to me it’s a 180 low fence bow kill. You can be a marginal fisherman and land a 30 inch trout. I feel it’s hard to be a marginal bowhunter and kill a 180, most of those guys aren’t hunting 180 acreage.
              All it takes is money to get your 180, even low fence. I’m sure I could pick up the phone tomorrow and find me a hunt for this weekend if I wanted. I’ve been fishing the salt water for a long time, and caught many, many big fish and haven’t cracked 30” yet, and I know guys that have fished many more years than me and haven’t either.

Comment

For me since i fish on my boat and fish in big trot areas and have never been lucky enough to land a 30'' trout id say trout!...i landed 12 over 29'' but no 30'' lol...deer on the other hand if hunting low fence and u have on camera that would be a great challenge also!

Comment

30" trout is obviously more of a trophy and harder to come by.

As said above you can cut a check for a guaranteed shot on a 180" deer really easy.

Comment

Originally posted by panhandlehunter View Post
                    All it takes is money to get your 180, even low fence. I’m sure I could pick up the phone tomorrow and find me a hunt for this weekend if I wanted. I’ve been fishing the salt water for a long time, and caught many, many big fish and haven’t cracked 30” yet, and I know guys that have fished many more years than me and haven’t either.
                    I know way more folks that have caught 30 inch trout than those that have 180 low fence bow kills.

Comment

180” is only comparable on public land. Give me the trout.

Comment

What does a 30” trout weigh in TX? Just wanted some reference point, as in FL we weighed our fish did not measure them. Thanks

Comment

I've killed a LF 180 typical ( rifle), that 30 inch trout eludes me. I've had 1 or 2 on the line I know were there but couldn't seal the deal. Philip on here ( Panhandlehunter ) was standing next to me on one of them...ugh

Comment

Originally posted by Mexico View Post
                            I've killed a LF 180 typical ( rifle), that 30 inch trout eludes me. I've had 1 or 2 on the line I know were there but couldn't seal the deal. Philip on here ( Panhandlehunter ) was standing next to me on one of them...ugh
                            You are ruining your odds by only going when you don’t have to wear waders...

Comment

Originally posted by JES View Post
                              You are ruining your odds by only going when you don’t have to wear waders...
                              Yeah but cold water can get bent... I hate it

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                              X