Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How Do you Teach your friends to Quarter a Deer?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'll go against the sawsall/loppers route. Used to do it both ways, but I hate the sharp bone it leaves. Once you practice it, it takes seconds to remove quarters at the joints. The only thing that takes me a bit longer is the skull from spine, and you only need to do that if you need the head for taxi or euro. If that's the case, I don't mind an extra couple of minutes to get the head off. Look up Randy Newberg on youtube and watch his video on breaking down elk or deer. He does it gutless on the ground, but the joint seperation is the same whether its gutted or not, hanging or not.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Comment

Breaking an animal down while hanging is simple.

Go shoot some animals and start cleaning em!

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by texasforever View Post
        Go gutless, same amount of meat without the mess of internals. Same amount of meat if you’re crafty with the tenderloin.
        ALWAYS cut with the hair and never against it, hair sticks to the mean really bad and can give your meat a bad flavor if soaked/bled with it on there.
        Get a pair of loppers or sawsall for any joints, **** that I’m cool surgeon dude and can cut joints crap.
        Hang by the back feet and cut throat shortly upon death so most blood drains toward the neck and can get out the body or atleast to the grinder meat instead of more desirable cuts.
        Gloves are amazing even if you’re a manly man. Cuts down on cleanup, smell, and safety. You don’t want what the deers got and vice versus.
        Have one “fine work blade” and one “utility blade” when skinning/quartering. Use only one for the precise work and getting cuts started, NEVER hit bone with this knife. Use the other for the big work and anything close to bone. it will dull your knives in one or two strokes against those. Thats all i got but ill add to if i can think

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
        Yep sounds like how I do it, but no loppers or sawsall. Not going to pack either of those in my back pack.

Comment

Originally posted by critter69 View Post
          Yep sounds like how I do it, but no loppers or sawsall. Not going to pack either of those in my back pack.
          Why would you pack’em in a backpack? Aren’t you taking the deer back to camp to skin and quarter? If not, where you packing the meat? In the backpack?

Comment

Give them the knife and you tell them what to do. May have to do some of it yourself at first but only way to do it is dive in

Comment

Study the hip sockets amd muscle around the neck, shoulders and back strap/rump.
              Watch how the hair reacts when cut. Be mindful of the hair on your blade.

Just practice.

I hang em by the head (buck and does).
              Gutless
              No need for sawzall, just learn the knuckle.

Sharp knife(s) and gloves are good to have.

Good luck.

Comment

If you hang a deer by the head, then you can put your knee between the hindquarters with the cavity opening facing away and pull on the legs towards you and push with your knee to break the hip ball joints. Do them both at the same time since once one hindquarter has been cut off, there is no leverage the break the joint on the other hindquarter. You can then cut them loose with a knife, no saw needed. Also, no need to saw off the legs, you can bend the knee joint and cut the leg free.

Best to have a friend hold the deer while you cut to keep it from spinning. I prefer a Buck Skinner knife because it does not have a pointed blade that can stick you. For my off hand, I like to use a steel mesh glove because I am on blood thinners. Don't cut yourself is the first rule.

Comment

I thought my best friend how to do it.

I started the skinning process then set back and pointed and drank beer. Seemed to work for me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Go really quickly and watch for headlights!

Comment

Working...
                    X