Ducks to Mount

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ducks to Mount

I have never been much of a duck hunter but I have an itch to kill a few for the wall.
    We have a pond on the lease that is covered with ducks in the winter. So I will pick up a few there.

Sea Ducks. Man those have peeked my interest. For something that is not found in Texas. Harlequin especially.

I do not have a ton of space to but what would you mount?

These two are on my list just because but...
    pintail
    redhead

Not sure what you have coming into the pond but out of the ducks we normally see in our area, the top of my list would be:
    wood duck
    pintail (make sure it has a good sprig)
    wigeon
    canvasback
    blue wing teal (fully plumed)
    mallard

I have a pair of wood ducks mounted, mallard, wigeon and pintail. I have a fully plumed blue wing and canvasback in the freezer.

Comment

Blue, green and cinnamon teal
      Canvas Back
      Pintail
      Wigeon
      Even a spoon bill in full plumage is beautiful

Comment

Let me know where this pond is and I'll meet you there come duck season and help you cull the good ducks out!!! After the split is when the birds are better looking.

Comment

Make sure to find a good bird taxi bc there only thing worse than bad bird work is bad cat work.

Comment

I'd mount a stud drake of any species I don't have on the wall yet. I'd rather look at good taxidermy than ugly or weird wall art

I've got a wigeon, redhead, GW teal, bufflehead, hoodie, speck, and jack on the wall. I've got a good blue wing in the freezer from this year I need to send off. Wife has a redhead, speck, and bufflehead too.

My top targets the past couple seasons have been a stud blue goose, cinnamon, and Mexican mallard. I've managed to mangle the last few of those I've killed though

Comment

Originally posted by CTR0022 View Post
              Make sure to find a good bird taxi bc there only thing worse than bad bird work is bad cat work.
              I told my wife I was going to go kill a few then. stalk the Birdman's website and when something that I killed came up on there for sale I was going to buy it. Then claim it as the one I killed.

No way I could do that but man he does some beautiful work

Comment

Wood duck
                pintail
                widgeon
                cinnamon teal
                blue wing teal
                green wing teal
                bufflehead

all drakes

These can all be shot in Texas and I think these are all beautiful birds.

Comment

Cinnamon Teal

Comment

widgeon
                    GW teal
                    mallard
                    I have all three but would like to have these:

pintail in flight
                    wood duck
                    BW teal
                    redhead

Comment

WildThings (Barry) on here is your guy for any bird mount - one of the best in the biz with ribbons to back it up....pm me your number and I'll send you pics of wood ducks he's done for me and several guys I know. I may have posted them on here before and will edit with a link if I find it.

I'm going for a redhead next and a hooded merganser

found it....https://discussions.texasbowhunter.c...highlight=duck
                      Last edited by Leon County Slayer; 05-19-2021, 11:32 AM.

Comment

I love to duck hunt although out of all the things I enjoy hunting it’s the one I get to do the least amount.

I’ve got a bull pintail, a hooded merganser, a green wing and a beautiful drake redhead on the wall.

Really want a nice widgeon, bufflehead and mallard, plus a wood duck. The one I covet most of all is a cinnamon teal.

I just can’t bring myself to mount a gadwall or a blue wing teal. They are just not attractive birds

Comment

Working...
                        X