Need help....Gas vs. diesel

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by chehunt View Post
    Those f250's seem to have so much more space inside them compared to a 1/2 ton....maybe this is why he wants the gas in the f250? Or when you hear the horror stories of the fuel system or injectors going out on the diesels...

Since they went to the aluminum bodies on the super duty they share the same cab with the 1/2 ton trucks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Doubt I will go back to diesel, maintenance cost , fuel cost, then seeing so many people stranded with gelled fuel last week, and those fuel systems are a $10000 time bomb

Comment

Originally posted by HOOKNBULLET2 View Post
        What’s your time worth?

Diesel truck needs oil and filters every 15,000 miles versus every 3,000-5,000 miles in a gas truck. This equates to an oil change every month in a gas truck versus 3 a year in diesel truck.

Diesel truck can have an auxiliary fuel tank which is not available in a gas truck. Miles per fill up in a diesel truck 1000 versus 300 in a gas truck. Based on your 40,000 miles driven a year, that is an additional 93 times a year you have to stop and buy fuel.

That’s why I drive a diesel.

Yes, diesels costs more to own and operate. But for me the trade off is worth it.
        3000 to 5000 miles between oil changes on a gas engine. NOPE! That is a waste of time and money!

I have a 2020 Ford F350 with the 7.3 gas and have it changed at our local Ford Quick Change dealer and they do every 7000 miles between changes. ALSO, how much fuel does the extra tank on a diesel hold? My 7.3 holds 48 gallons with a single fill!

Comment

What’s your time worth?

Diesel truck needs oil and filters every 15,000 miles versus every 3,000-5,000 miles in a gas truck. This equates to an oil change every month in a gas truck versus 3 a year in diesel truck.

Diesel truck can have an auxiliary fuel tank which is not available in a gas truck. Miles per fill up in a diesel truck 1000 versus 300 in a gas truck. Based on your 40,000 miles driven a year, that is an additional 93 times a year you have to stop and buy fuel.

Yes, diesels costs more to own and operate. But for me the trade off is worth it.

This isn’t quite correct... I change my oil Every 10,000. And it costs me $45 for Royal Purple full synthetic.

Think about tires, I’m at 90,000 on my current set of KO2’s. Most diesel guys are happy to get 40k on tires..

I also get 550-600 miles unloaded in my gasser.
          Gonna be even better when I switch to the new F150 hybrid!!

I don’t baby it either, more than 20% of my mileage to date on this truck has been with a trailer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

What’s your time worth?

Actually my 7.3 is 10k mile oil changes. You can get an auxiliary fuel tank for gas engines, you can’t however directly feed the tank from the aux tank. You’d technically have to refill from you aux tank. Companies like transfer flow make them, been looking at the 70gal model, but it’s a bit spendy!

Comment

Need help....Gas vs. diesel

Originally posted by txtrophy85 View Post
              Right on the line of probably/possibly getting a new truck in the next week.

Right now in a 17’ super duty 6.7 diesel

Pros: gobs of power, very off road capable compared to my 7.3 liter power stroke, fast, fun to drive. Will tow anything And is a tough truck

Cons: drinks fuel, with 37’s I’m getting anywhere from 12-14 mpg. Diesel cost is higher, upfront cost is higher and maintenance is higher. Basically it’s more expensive to run across the board.

I like my truck. The reason for me getting a new truck has nothing to do with my old truck per se, but it may be the right time to trade it off.

Looked at replacing it with the exact same truck, and they wanted $70k for it, which I am not willing to do. I sold my big travel trailer so the heaviest I tow on the reg is my UTV , but I tow it several days a week. My work life consists of lots of high way miles countered with lots of slow driving on caliche ranch road or rough ranch roads, a lot of dirt county roads thrown in. This is about everyday

Been looking at the 7.3 liter gas ford crew cab. Have heard good things about the Chevy AT4 2500, but I’m a bit leery of Chevy and their IFS set up, I don’t believe it’s a durable.

Want to stick with the 3/4 ton platform as I believe it holds up better to my lifestyle.

Am I missing something ( other than future resale) or it is it a pretty clear choice a 3/4 ton gas truck is the way to go over the diesel?

I went with the 7.3 in a tremor (factory lift and 35” tires, 4.30 rear). I routinely get 13-14mpg at highway speeds, have gotten as high as 16 on long trips at speeds of 60-70. If you’re wanting the best MPGs look for something with the 3.55 rear.
              Last edited by stxhunter; 02-23-2021, 06:33 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by SAC View Post
                We've had 2 guys both get the 7.3 gas for work trucks. Each owned a 6.7 for personal. Within 3 months in the gas for work, the 6.7's were traded in for gassers.
                Wow, that is a pretty strong testament.

Comment

If all you are towing is your ATV and you put a lot of miles on your truck, get an F150 with the Ecoboost. They tow very well.
                  A 3/4 ton gasser with 37's is going to completely suck on gas mileage.
                  I drive a 2017 F350 with the 6.2 gasser and love it but the only reason I really have it is for payload to carry my slide-in truck camper. If it wasn't for that I would be in the F150 with the Ecoboost.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
                  Last edited by WyoBull; 02-23-2021, 06:44 PM.

Comment

I’m gonna stick with my 6.7 liter for now.

When I do get ready to get in a new one, gonna look at the 7.3 liter gas.

At the price new trucks are at now, it wouldn’t make a bit of sense to trade, I pit pen to paper and couldn’t justify it at all.

Comment

Working...
                    X