Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Electric blackout - Is it all over Texas?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Critical infrastructure gets power first.

Water plants, sewer plants, city/county critical services, hospitals, etc.

The rest is a gamble.

This is urban areas of course.

Comment

I just read an article on one of the weather sites that says this is part of a grid problem that covers 14 states, so it isn't just Texas. Other Southern states are affected, and it goes as far north as Oregon. Texas gets only so much power to distribute, no matter where it is actually generated. Texas authorities have had to make cuts, and in many instances the demand was so great that they have had problems getting the power to come back on to end the outage. I have no idea how much of this correct, but it is what I read from a weather site,

Comment

Originally posted by softpoint View Post
        I just read an article on one of the weather sites that says this is part of a grid problem that covers 14 states, so it isn't just Texas. Other Southern states are affected, and it goes as far north as Oregon. Texas gets only so much power to distribute, no matter where it is actually generated. Texas authorities have had to make cuts, and in many instances the demand was so great that they have had problems getting the power to come back on to end the outage. I have no idea how much of this correct, but it is what I read from a weather site,
        Texas is it’s own grid, not tied, other than some fringe areas.

Comment

Originally posted by RiverRat1 View Post
          Isn't Austin and surrounding all hydro? What's their excuse as lakes are full?

Not sure where Hamilton electric gets power.

When I heard DFW area has issues it made sense because they could have overly relied on all the wind turbines. But all these other areas I don't get.
          Once it’s generated and dumped on the grid nobody is keeping up with if it is hydro, wind, solar or fossil. You have so many MWatts generated and so much MW of load and once it gets close together you have problems. I can’t blame the Democrats for all of it but the green power solutions they propose will only make it worse. The good old republicans are the ones that pushed deregulation in 2007 in Texas. This is a direct result of those changes. To much uncertainty for investors to invest millions and or billions to build new gas or coal power plants in Texas. Wind and solar are cost prohibitive and unreliable so we are pretty well tattooed unless we vote the dems out and get off the green new lie.

Comment

Originally posted by ejj005 View Post
            This is the right explanation. Just because a power plant is near you or wind turbines near you, that doesn’t necessarily mean that is where power is coming from. Solar was down at night, wind turbines are down. A lot of coal plants that were reliable were shut down in years past. I actually worked at one. With the way the weather had been, units are going to have problems. It’s not good but if they dont do black outs the whole state could go dark.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
            Yep

Comment

This problem, not being able to meet demand, for what ever reason, needs to be fixed now. Session is going on now and our Reps need to hear our words.. This is Texas. We fix stuff like this, we don't live with it.

Comment

This just shows how dangerously close we have become California.

Comment

We've had no problems until 20 minutes ago. I knew it was too good to last.

Sent from my SM-A716U using Tapatalk

Comment

GhostGoblin22 said this would happen.......I knew I should have listened to him.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Lost power about 2:15 this morning in Katy and it’s still out. We went to my inlaws in Richmond and they just lost power as well.

Comment

Originally posted by Greenheadless View Post
                        Texas is it’s own grid, not tied, other than some fringe areas.
                        This is where I read this? So I don't know if it's good information or not..https://www.wunderground.com/article...utages-impacts

Comment

I had everything perfectly prepared with the well house, pool and septic. Propane heaters and water circulating were working perfect when i went to bed at 2am. Woke up at 7am and they had cut our power at 3am. The coldest part of the night. Thanks to that the water stopped circulating and everything froze up. Nothing i can do now. They keep killing the power every three hours. I agree. This is Texas. We need to figure this out.

Comment

Nothing about this is political.

Natural gas is the answer, cold is the problem. Let me explain.
                            Part 1.
                            Cold weather increases gas consumption as people heat their homes, buisnesses and industrial complexes, both with nat gas and electric heat.
                            Part 2.
                            Most of ERCOT electricity comes from generation sites that make electricity by burning nat gas (most of the current problem is coming from Oklahoma City area)

Therefore...Demand for gas increases beyond capacity of drillers over the course of a few days. During which Prices go from 2.40 per Dth to 140 per Dth. Gas company tells users use less gas - commence switch to electric heat...increasing demand on ercot grid.

Freezing temps strain gas drillers equip. Causing it to trip. Then before they are able to get electricity back online their drilling equip freezes. Down goes the well. (Remember electricity is produced by burning nat gas)
                            Step 3. Fewer rigs drilling means less gas for power gen plants, they begin to diminish electrical supply to grid. Boom there goes a generation plant...then another...and another.

Less electricity available on grid, more wells trip, less gas, then less electricity.

All the while ERCOT is scrambling to curb demand by rolling brownouts, but wells keep dropping and generation plants continue to drop offline.

Tonight should be interesting. ERCOT IS continuing to decline in supply and demand is going up now that the sun is setting.

I think we have a high probability of total blackout in the next 24 hrs.

It's not political. It's not even wind gen problem, nor solar.

Natural gas...plain and simple.

Comment

I live in Freeport and lost power at 2 am. Still out. This is why I drained my pools filter and not run it 24/7 like the idiot news station said to do.

Comment

It is intentional to cause distress where we are, 4 min of electricity per hour

Comment

Working...
                                X