Cotton seed question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cotton seed question

Do you really need a feeder or can you just dump it on the ground?

Thinking about putting some out this year and will not be able to go refill that often wince it’s a 7 hour drive.

I realize it’s not ideal to just dump it on the ground. So curious of the drawbacks of this option.

Thanks.

Any portion of it in contact with the ground will spoil if it rains. Most people just use a wire tube supported by a single T-post. It's cheap and it works well.

Comment

I poured out small piles at our place. It took a while but was eventually eaten. I’ll roll up some wire and place a plywood top inside of it to keep coons out. Then I suspend it from a tree. It’s hard driving a tee post through rock.

Comment

We started by feeding out water tote cages. The last couple of years we have been dumping piles with a dump trailer and just leaving be. Doesn’t seem to be an issue.

When the gin delivers it they dump all 25 tons on the ground and we work from it usually getting to the dirt around July. In December the deer still visit the initial drop off spot religiously.

Comment

They go through it so fast that I started doing both and have had no issues pouring on ground so it will last at least a week (1000lbs in 6 days is average)

Comment

Thanks for the replies, I appreciate it.

Comment

If you are in an area with a lot of moisture it seems to mildew more if in piles.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Just started cottonseed at our Wise county farm. Be interesting to see if how long it takes them to start hitting it.

Comment

Working...
                X