Backup generator cost ?'s.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Backup generator cost ?'s.

This winter weather may not ever happen in my lifetime again, especially here in Central Texas, BUT we were without power for 27 hours Thursday thru Friday because of the ice breaking trees and downed power lines and the temps although freezing were not as low as predicted along with more ice/sleet/snow predicted. Also thinking of storms during the spring when electricity could be lost for longer periods

We have a 2415 sq ft home with everything on electric but our stove which is gas. Our tankless hot water system is on gas, BUT the control is electric so when the electricity goes out, we loose our hot water.

For those of you that have added a backup generator during your build or after your build, what do you expect an approximate cost would be to put one at my home to run my home.

Also, any suggestions on whom to contact to get bids in the Central TX/Bell County area.

All depends on your demand and how much you want on the generator panel.

You probably want a 20kw unit = 166 amps at 120. Less amp capacity when 240
    Cost 5k for unit, plus install and wire subpanel. Maybe 7-9k

Comment

Hey Doug, as you know we are currently building a home. I had my builder bid everything out for my system with the electricians. This is NOT a “whole home Generac system. We decided to go budget friendly and a simple backup portable LP generator system.
      I have a Predator 8750 that I recently purchased and converted over to dual fuel gas-LP. We had the electricians install a mechanical interlock-switchover device to the main panel and a receptacle outside that I can plug my generator into (that I will run off propane). It will be wired to a dedicated double pole 30amp breaker to feed the panel.
      We just want to be able to run our refrigerator/freezers, a few lights, electronics, fans, etc. My hope is that we should be comfortable enough since we have propane for our stove, fireplaces and hot water heaters. About the only thing we won’t even remotely consider trying to power is the AC of course.
      My electrician (or I guess my Builder’s) bid us $1100 and provided all of the wires and materials for the above and installation of course. I’m not sure if that is a good price or not...but I thought it was fair.

Comment

Originally posted by Mudslinger View Post
        This winter weather may not ever happen in my lifetime again, especially here in Central Texas, BUT we were without power for 27 hours Thursday thru Friday because of the ice breaking trees and downed power lines and the temps although freezing were not as low as predicted along with more ice/sleet/snow predicted. Also thinking of storms during the spring when electricity could be lost for longer periods

We have a 2415 sq ft home with everything on electric but our stove which is gas. Our tankless hot water system is on gas, BUT the control is electric so when the electricity goes out, we loose our hot water.

For those of you that have added a backup generator during your build or after your build, what do you expect an approximate cost would be to put one at my home to run my home.

Also, any suggestions on whom to contact to get bids in the Central TX/Bell County area.
        You can put together a functional system for less than 2K.

10,000 - 12,000 watt Duel Fuel or straight gas generator $1000 to $1200

Exterior generator plug $75.00

Panel interlock switch $100.00

Surge Protector (highly recommend) $75.00

Electrician to tie plug into panel and install surge protector and interlock switch $300 to $500. You can do this yourself but I would let an electrician do it.

You can run everything you need to run off this set up and not spend 10 grand. Plus it is fairly simple install that does not take a lot of retrofitting.

Look Here:

Watch this short video. This will help explain.

This is the system we have. Our Generator is a Champion Duel Fuel 10,000/8000 watt (10,000 start up/8000running watts). The interlock switch device is specific to your panel. For example Square D, GE, Eaton, etc. and per model number of your specific panel. You turn all your breakers off and then power up either what you need or what your generator will run.

Interlock switch kits:

Also I highly recommend that you install a surge protector that is designed for generator back up use. It will protect your electronics and motherboard in your furnace, AC, etc. I have heard of people emergency wiring their furnace for generator hook up and it burns out the controls. Most all appliances now have electronics (motherboards that dirty power will fry).

Last edited by Arrowsmith; 02-14-2021, 02:42 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by RascalArms View Post
          Hey Doug, as you know we are currently building a home. I had my builder bid everything out for my system with the electricians. This is NOT a “whole home Generac system. We decided to go budget friendly and a simple backup portable LP generator system.
          I have a Predator 8750 that I recently purchased and converted over to dual fuel gas-LP. We had the electricians install a mechanical interlock-switchover device to the main panel and a receptacle outside that I can plug my generator into (that I will run off propane). It will be wired to a dedicated double pole 30amp breaker to feed the panel.
          We just want to be able to run our refrigerator/freezers, a few lights, electronics, fans, etc. My hope is that we should be comfortable enough since we have propane for our stove, fireplaces and hot water heaters. About the only thing we won’t even remotely consider trying to power is the AC of course.
          My electrician (or I guess my Builder’s) bid us $1100 and provided all of the wires and materials for the above and installation of course. I’m not sure if that is a good price or not...but I thought it was fair.
          We went this route. I can run all fridges, well pump and lights. Then we can decide which AC/heat of the two. If we want hot water it can run the heater as well. I would say I can run 50% of the house. I just have to play a breaker game. Nice thing is I can take the generator and use for other things as needed. I can not speak for a whole house gen as I know it was overkill for what I wanted to spend. Downside to my system is If I am not home. If I was going to get a whole house make sure it is fully automatic with plenty of fuel.
          Last edited by 9452772; 02-14-2021, 02:26 PM.

Comment

It depends how simple or how fancy you want it. I bought a 22kw General LP unit with whole house transfer switch for ~$5k. I did the install myself when we built the house and have a dedicated “emergency” panel.

This is everything I can run with no issues whatsoever and it all does it automatically in the event of a power loss. No going outside in the cold/rain/whatever and no forgetting to open the main breaker and putting electricity back on the grid.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

I am in the process of building a house and I just bought a 22KW Onan/Cummins backup generator to run off propane. I paid 5K for generator and transfer switch.

The good thing about it is I can run the entire house off of it. The transfer switch has a built in shedding switch that we will program it to drop certain circuits if the demand gets to great. It's all automated.

Electrician is charging $1200 for wiring it in.

To me it's well worth it. I live out in country and we are truly the last ones on the end of the run. We've been told that our area has such few residents that we won't be a priority.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Comment

Following

Comment

Great thread and info.

Comment

A lot to factor in. How many items do you want to power and for how long a period of time.

Comment

Whole hole backups are going to be a big deal going forward

They expect rolling blackouts around Houston and I am sure more of the state

Supposedly the lack of generation from windmills frozen over and frozen over solar panels are creating some issues

Planning to go whole hole route natural gas off of the LDC here. They generally have a generator program where you can get multiple bids. I also met a guy who does them in Aransas and Brookshire area.

Rolling blackouts are our future

Comment

Have a 25kw Briggs and Stratton and love it. Doesn’t run the entire house with everything going at once but enough to keep the downstairs comfortable, all appliances and water well/pump. Live in the country so had a propane tank installed underground to run it. It automatically kicks on/off when electricity is lost and restored and fires up once a week for 20 minutes automatically. It’s a Toyota car engine so should run forever. Paid 19k for everything- generator, electrician, propane tank/filled, symphony 2 transfer switch, gas line from tank to generator.. Best investment for a house you can make in regards to peace of mind. Storm shelter is a close second in Texas..

Comment

I can help answer questions about a whole home generator if needed . I have been helping out a friend of mine when they get over booked on sizing generators for customers . They are a top tier Generac dealer as well as a propane company . Give me a shout if I can help .

936-444-6143

Comment

I already have a 250 gallon propane tank that supplies the stove and and tankless hot water heater and the company that fills the tank is less than 5 miles away!

The suggestions have been awesome. I just need to decide which way to go. Definitely do not need a full house version as it is just the wife, the dog and I. House is big but we use less than 30% of it on a daily basis and during the day, lights are not need most of the time due to our plethora of windows.

Rocket, I will be calling for sure!

Comment

Originally posted by ROCKET View Post
                              I can help answer questions about a whole home generator if needed . I have been helping out a friend of mine when they get over booked on sizing generators for customers . They are a top tier Generac dealer as well as a propane company . Give me a shout if I can help .

936-444-6143
                              Rocket I will be calling as well I’m out Near Woodville

Comment

Working...
                              X