No announcement yet.

What is the purpose of plugs in shotgun

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My speculation is that even though they have bag limits they don't really want everyone hunting to hit that limit every time out, so there are rules to make it more difficult/ethical/sporting

Comment

Probably useful for helping GW find game hogs & wasting game...I've watched a lot of hunters lose birds by not retrieving the dead one on the ground & continuing to shoot.

Comment

I don't understand the daily limit on birds either. Phil Robertson can go kill 6 ducks everyday of the season for a total of 444 ducks. Another guy can go one day and shoot 7 and he's committed a great sin. Make it a season limit...."X" number of birds for the year, spread them out how you like.

Comment

Originally posted by 175gr7.62 View Post
          I don't understand the daily limit on birds either. Phil Robertson can go kill 6 ducks everyday of the season for a total of 444 ducks. Another guy can go one day and shoot 7 and he's committed a great sin. Make it a season limit...."X" number of birds for the year, spread them out how you like.
          They aren't concerned with who kills them, or how many each person kills. They are concerned with overall population numbers and the seasons and limits are set up so that at the end of the season they hit their management goals

Comment

Going to a o/u has saved me lots of shells on the wasted third shot. But with quail a slow covey rise has found me with an empty gun, but so what.
            Not sure why new game laws are worried about size of magazine.

Comment

There is also the issue of waste. If you kill 3 birds in one flyover...can you find all 3? If it took you 5 shots to kill 2 birds, can you find the first one? I believe it comes down to sporting chance and waste.

Comment

Originally posted by 175gr7.62 View Post
                totally agree on the season limit, but on top of the daily limit. Not sure how a warden would track how many you shot in a season though, if need be.
                Again, if EVERYONE went every day and like you said Phil does, kills 444 ducks a season, I really don't think there's that many ducks out there.

Comment

Algorithm - it would bring up
                  The average number of birds killed per hunter which in turn would bring down the Daily bag limit.

Comment

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

Comment

If there wasn’t a plug in my shotgun I couldn’t afford the ammo

Comment

Originally posted by FVR JR View Post
                        If you've shot 3 times and not hit the bird, it's probably out of range and more likely to be crippled. But then why do they let us have unplugged guns during snow goose conservation season?
                        Ot lead for doves and cranes is same corn field geese and ducks are in come December

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Quackerbox View Post
                          Ot lead for doves and cranes is same corn field geese and ducks are in come December

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Comment

Why can't we shoot treeducks during teal season? Same reason for both, changing a federal law is like killing an elephant with a toothpick.

Comment

Originally posted by ultrastealth View Post
                              Why can't we shoot treeducks during teal season? Same reason for both, changing a federal law is like killing an elephant with a toothpick.
                              You can. It ain’t illegal till you get caught!

Comment

Interesting topic! I’ve never given it much thought. Just knew you needed a plug and my old 870 had a pencil for a plug

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                                X