Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Curious of your thoughts on the term "Ranch".

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

We have seen this discussion many, many times on TBH through the years. The general consensus is there are two types of folks.... Folks that care what somebody else calls a place those folks spent their hard earned money on and folks that don't give a **** about somebody else's business.
    Last edited by Smart; 05-27-2020, 11:14 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Traildust View Post
      And then the Karen showed up

LMAO!!....daaaaaang!

Comment

A ranch, you should have some sort of livestock or pets on. A farm you should grow something, or at least a big garden. Most people just have a piece of property or a cabin, or go to the deer lease!

Comment

I think people call it a ranch because referring to it (for example) as "land my wife inherited from her grandmother that we now use for hunting and family recreation" gets to be a mouthful after a while.

Comment

Originally posted by AntlerCollector View Post
            OP I agree with your assessment of what a true Ranch consists of. I also believe that a landowner can call their property whatever the heck they want to. It won’t bother me one bit if someone else calls their place a ranch and there’s not a cow or chicken in sight. I will still sleep just fine.
            I think maybe there is a misunderstanding. I do not give a rip what someone calls the land they own. They can call it the Bunny Ranch for all I care. Im just trying to gain some insight on why people think/say what they do when there is no foundation (as we generally know it) to base it on. I could call my home/land "The Dealership" if I chose to, but why? Im not selling anything here. I could call it a ranch also, but Im not farming/ranching anything here. My post is not to make someone wrong in what they say/do, but rather just to know why. If some of you weren't so fragile, you'd understand this. I am all about "Do W-T-F you want....its your life", so lets not make me out to be someone Im not.

Comment

Originally posted by Smart View Post
              LMAO!!....daaaaaang!
              Yeah it was a good try to turn things south, but it didn't go as planned for him. Apparently I'm not alone in my thoughts on this.

Comment

Growing up the mark was around 200 acres around here. Don't know for sure why. By the end of the year I should have roughly 172 acres. I still call it a farm.

-john

Comment

Originally posted by Trevor73402 View Post
                  I think maybe there is a misunderstanding. I do not give a rip what someone calls the land they own. They can call it the Bunny Ranch for all I care. Im just trying to gain some insight on why people think/say what they do when there is no foundation (as we generally know it) to base it on. I could call my home/land "The Dealership" if I chose to, but why? Im not selling anything here. I could call it a ranch also, but Im not farming/ranching anything here. My post is not to make someone wrong in what they say/do, but rather just to know why. If some of you weren't so fragile, you'd understand this. I am all about "Do W-T-F you want....its your life", so lets not make me out to be someone Im not.
                  I remember the Bunny Ranch! It was on SH121 between Frisco and The Colony.

Comment

The owner of the land (or the one making the payments) can call it whatever he wants, right?

Terms like 'the lot' or 'the property' are just so generic sounding. Ranch does have a nice ring to it.

What is one of the first things yo do with a new pet? Decide what to call it, right? Very few just stick with 'Dog' or "Cat'.

Some people even name their cars/trucks - but I've yet to hear of one called 'the ranch', but that would be ok too!

Comment

headed up to the holding for some huntin - that sounds weird

Comment

Stop worrying about other people’s business!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Trevor73402 View Post
                          Yeah it was a good try to turn things south, but it didn't go as planned for him. Apparently I'm not alone in my thoughts on this.
                          Hilarious

Comment

Originally posted by Goldeneagle View Post
                            I remember the Bunny Ranch! It was on SH121 between Frisco and The Colony.
                            As a 16 year old boy I had a job running a commercial paper route in that area for a guy on Friday and Saturday nights. Friday so he could go to the bars and Saturday because it took multiple trucks to get the Sunday papers out. Anyway I had a truck break down on me about 3:00 in the morning one time. The only place open was the whore house and I had to make a phone call. They were nice to me. Offered to be real nice but I decided it was best if I just waited outside.....LOL.

-john

Comment

I live on a 26 acre ranch with a 2 acre lake! Go ahead and add in the Pond/Tank/Lake debate in here as well! lol We call our land "the land" and the pond is a "pond".

Comment

I guess I'm pretty typical; ranch = livestock, farm = crops. Usually, there is a blending of the two. For our place in East Texas, I've never been comfortable calling it either. We do have 2 donkeys in one pasture the original owner neglected to take with him. We kind of just settled on "The Property" because it is generic. It also tends to reduce questions about the size of the place. I don't know why but, I have never been comfortable with those type questions. Although I have been known to call it "The Sandbox" because it is where we went to play.

Comment

Working...
                                X