Go Back   TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums > Topics > Around the Campfire

Old 08-26-2021, 02:58 PM   #151
150class
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Uvalde, Boerne

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duckologist View Post
That's not NOLA, that's lafayette
You were one of the folks I was thinking of as this shifted east... Hope it misses you sir
150class is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-26-2021, 04:03 PM   #152
Duckologist
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by 150class View Post
You were one of the folks I was thinking of as this shifted east... Hope it misses you sir
Thanks, was a rough one last summer

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk
Duckologist is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-26-2021, 04:16 PM   #153
drop dead fred
Pope & Young

Hunt In: TX, Neb, Illinois, MEXICO
Default 2021 Hurricane Season

Whoops

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
drop dead fred is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-26-2021, 05:17 PM   #154
Cajun Blake
Associate Sponsor

Hunt In: public & pvt land

Quote:
That's not NOLA, that's lafayette
Looks like a direct hit & landfall in Terrebonne Parish Ö Cocodrie, Houma, Thibodeaux. Possibly right up the Atchafalaya Basin veering East into Plaquemine & Baton Rouge

Lake Chuck donít need any more hurricanes. Local attorney friend whoís office is near Pujo Street just re-opened his office last week Ö. Basically 1 year from Hurricane Laura. Schit still looks bad in LC, Sulphur, & Moss Bluff

Prayers sent brother
Cajun Blake is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-26-2021, 09:58 PM   #155
Duckologist
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cajun Blake View Post
Looks like a direct hit & landfall in Terrebonne Parish Ö Cocodrie, Houma, Thibodeaux. Possibly right up the Atchafalaya Basin veering East into Plaquemine & Baton Rouge

Lake Chuck donít need any more hurricanes. Local attorney friend whoís office is near Pujo Street just re-opened his office last week Ö. Basically 1 year from Hurricane Laura. Schit still looks bad in LC, Sulphur, & Moss Bluff

Prayers sent brother
There's still people livin in cars and tents and its sweltering

Old 08-26-2021, 11:49 PM   #156
bar2hunter
Ten Point

Hunt In: Coryell, McLennan

Ouch! 4 Majors in less than a a year!?
I've worked 3 and I'm saddened to work a 4th!!!
bar2hunter is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-26-2021, 11:53 PM   #157
Dale Moser
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Young Cty

Spring time up here always reminds me of being in a shooting gallery with the tornados and big hail storms. It occurs to me that we dodge rifle shots, and you coastal guys dodge shotgun patterns that last 2 days.

I hate it for yall, I've seen the aftermath 1st hand, I hope it peters out or turns away to....somewhere else.
Dale Moser is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-27-2021, 05:40 AM   #158
bullets13
Ten Point

Hunt In: Marion Co, Jefferson Co

Hurricanes are always conflicting. The relief of being spared is always tinged with some guilt, knowing that it’s destroying someone else’s lives. And then there’s the irritation I feel when I see someone hoping it’ll blow up the folks south of them so they can get a little rain inland.

Last edited by bullets13; 08-27-2021 at 05:44 AM.
bullets13 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-27-2021, 05:52 AM   #159
Leemo
Ten Point

Hunt In: Fowlerton

Price we pay for living on the Coast
A price I’m willing to accept
Leemo is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-27-2021, 06:19 AM   #160
waterdog
Pope & Young

there saying some heavy rainfall 2-4”+ in southern Louisiana today into tomorrow. Not a good thing ahead of the storm. prayers going up for you la folks.
waterdog is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-27-2021, 07:04 AM   #161
Rwc
Pope & Young

Praying for the ones in the path.

Rwc
Rwc is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-27-2021, 07:35 AM   #162
BayouCat
Eight Point

Hunt In: Gulf Coast

Prayers to you folks in La.
BayouCat is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-27-2021, 07:39 AM   #163
Mexico
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Old Mexico, Centerville Tx

Shaping up to be a Katrina II. Even making landfall the exact same day... prayers for LA.
Mexico is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-27-2021, 07:50 AM   #164
Neck
Pope & Young

Hunt In: DeWitt County

My heart goes out to you guys in LA. Looks to be a major at landfall. Praying for LA.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk
Neck is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-27-2021, 08:14 AM   #165
Agdog
Ten Point

Hunt In: Atoka County, OK

Quote:
Originally Posted by bullets13 View Post
Hurricanes are always conflicting. The relief of being spared is always tinged with some guilt, knowing that itís destroying someone elseís lives. And then thereís the irritation I feel when I see someone hoping itíll blow up the folks south of them so they can get a little rain inland.

Yep. Iím not on the coast anymore, moved out of Rosharon the day before Harvey hit, but I couldnít agree more.
Agdog is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-27-2021, 08:28 AM   #166
Traildust
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Pow Pow!

Prayers up for LA! Those folks have had it bad for the last few years. Terrible.
Traildust is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-27-2021, 08:45 AM   #167
Welding Teach
Four Point

Hunt In: Crosby/Marlin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dale Moser View Post
Spring time up here always reminds me of being in a shooting gallery with the tornados and big hail storms. It occurs to me that we dodge rifle shots, and you coastal guys dodge shotgun patterns that last 2 days.

I hate it for yall, I've seen the aftermath 1st hand, I hope it peters out or turns away to....somewhere else.
I grew up in West Texas--Abilene to be specific. I have lived there and Lubbock. My first teaching job was in Kountze! I went from seeing miles and miles to cant see past my neighbors house.

The first year I was in Kountze I got baptized into southeast Texas with hurricane Rita. Hurricanes still freak me out--watch these dumb things for weeks----- Its a different world!
Welding Teach is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-27-2021, 09:29 AM   #168
Quackerbox
Pope & Young

Hunt In: The woods

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leemo View Post
A price Iím willing to accept
Having 2 family places in matty growing up I can remember my pops being glued to the TV each time the word hurricane got mentioned. Throughout my life we got pretty lucky.

Carla took the river house and he and grandad re-built. The house in town saw a little damage during another and the river was lost again. By then we had sold them both. So the damage I saw growing up was always someone elses deal. I miss spending weekends down there but todays crowds are nuts.

The folks who continue to live down there or anywhere on the coast have my respect for taking that risk. But I can understand it
Quackerbox is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-27-2021, 10:10 AM   #169
gingib
Pope & Young

Hunt In: NTX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leemo View Post
A price Iím willing to accept
Yep. You know it going in
gingib is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-27-2021, 11:19 AM   #170
Cajun Blake
Associate Sponsor

Hunt In: public & pvt land

Growing up in South Louisiana is all I know - 53 years of dealing with Hurricanes. I respect Mother Nature since she is 100% unpredictable. I've never evacuated, although I live probably 15-20 miles from the GOM. My childhood and teenage years were spent in Metairie (NOLA). I can remember being 4-5 years old (around 1972-1973) and my dad taping the windows with masking tape to prevent them from shattering. No clue if that would have worked, but everyone else was doing it in the early 1970's so dad followed along. Dad also cracked the windows a few inches to relieve the pressure ??? With the windows cracked, you could feel the rise/fall of the barometric pressure and massive wind gusts. The winds would howl through the cracks often sounding like a freight train passing over for hours. We never flooded, lost a roof, or had a tree fall on the house. Several family and friends experienced tragedy during Hurricanes Betsy (1965) Camille (1969) and obviously Katrina (2005).

For some crazy strange reason, seems like 9 out of 10 hurricanes make landfall late in the evening or early morning hours. Once we lost electricity, we huddled together in the living room, listening to WWL 870 AM radio broadcasts of the weather. During Katrina, my then 85 yr old grandma and 87 year old great aunt lost power, and had no clue about the flooding or devastation. Being octogenarians, neither had cell phones for communication. Both were rescued and evacuated to live with me in Lafayette until we could find a place for them with relatives in Houston.

Hurricanes suck, but you're given enough time to prepare for the worst and make crucial family decisions. With tornadoes, wild fires, and earthquakes, you're SOL as those things often happen in the blink of an eye. Praying for all those who will be effected this weekend and for future storms.
Cajun Blake is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-27-2021, 11:26 AM   #171
Duckologist
Ten Point

Quote:
For some crazy strange reason, seems like 9 out of 10 hurricanes make landfall late in the evening or early morning hours.
We just had this discussion again yesterday. It sure is weird that they almost always come at night
Old 08-27-2021, 11:28 AM   #172
drop dead fred
Pope & Young

Quote:
We just had this discussion again yesterday. It sure is weird that they almost always come at night

Iíve always wondered this as well

Old 08-27-2021, 11:31 AM   #173
TexasBob
Pope & Young

Would love a Johnny explanation on why they hit overnight. I did learn during Harvey that as temps cool overnight rainfall rates increase with tropical systems.

TexasBob is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-27-2021, 01:17 PM   #174
ATXRaider83
Eight Point

Hunt In: Garza County

Just peeked at the radar. It's doing its best hurricane symbol impression

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk
ATXRaider83 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-27-2021, 01:28 PM   #175
Landrover
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Wherever & Whenever

Quote:
Growing up in South Louisiana is all I know - 53 years of dealing with Hurricanes. I respect Mother Nature since she is 100% unpredictable. I've never evacuated, although I live probably 15-20 miles from the GOM. My childhood and teenage years were spent in Metairie (NOLA). I can remember being 4-5 years old (around 1972-1973) and my dad taping the windows with masking tape to prevent them from shattering. No clue if that would have worked, but everyone else was doing it in the early 1970's so dad followed along. Dad also cracked the windows a few inches to relieve the pressure ??? With the windows cracked, you could feel the rise/fall of the barometric pressure and massive wind gusts. The winds would howl through the cracks often sounding like a freight train passing over for hours. We never flooded, lost a roof, or had a tree fall on the house. Several family and friends experienced tragedy during Hurricanes Betsy (1965) Camille (1969) and obviously Katrina (2005).

For some crazy strange reason, seems like 9 out of 10 hurricanes make landfall late in the evening or early morning hours. Once we lost electricity, we huddled together in the living room, listening to WWL 870 AM radio broadcasts of the weather. During Katrina, my then 85 yr old grandma and 87 year old great aunt lost power, and had no clue about the flooding or devastation. Being octogenarians, neither had cell phones for communication. Both were rescued and evacuated to live with me in Lafayette until we could find a place for them with relatives in Houston.

Hurricanes suck, but you're given enough time to prepare for the worst and make crucial family decisions. With tornadoes, wild fires, and earthquakes, you're SOL as those things often happen in the blink of an eye. Praying for all those who will be effected this weekend and for future storms.
Sounds like we grew up doing the same things to a T!!!
I'm at a board meeting for SCI in Vegas this week and trying to get mom and dad to get on the road to Texas.

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk
Landrover is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-27-2021, 01:47 PM   #176
Swamprat
Four Point

I have family evacuating as I type, some coming here... Blake, I had thought about have my son stop in NI to pick up some goods from you... but figured he better get on the road here to avoid heavy traffic... I need some chili mix! haha.

During Katrina, my house became known as Camp West as we had our place FULL of evacuees for a few weeks. One thing that I'll forever be grateful for was the 24/7 live rebroadcast of WWL-TV over the KHOU 11.2 channel. WWL is the staple for news, weather and to be able to watch it live from Spring was surreal. Most local communications were out of commission, cell service highly unreliable and so to a large degree, that was our only source of info..
Swamprat is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-27-2021, 01:54 PM   #177
C-dubyah
Eight Point

Situation does not look good, I think the storm will make it to a strong Cat 4, they are always conservative on these storms. Prayers for LA neighbors.
C-dubyah is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-27-2021, 02:05 PM   #178
C-dubyah
Eight Point

The vast network of levees, flood walls, gates and pumps that protects New Orleans was rebuilt after Hurricane Katrina, and just finished last year, at a cost of some $14 billion will be put to the test this weekend.
C-dubyah is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-27-2021, 02:31 PM   #179
Buck hunter332
Eight Point

Hunt In: The water

How bad is new Iberia gonna get it have my boat over there right now getting engine work
Buck hunter332 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-27-2021, 02:34 PM   #180
Duckologist
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buck hunter332 View Post
How bad is new Iberia gonna get it have my boat over there right now getting engine work
It could get very bad, it could get a direct hit. It's gonna be a strong and dangerous storm
Old 08-27-2021, 02:36 PM   #181
DUKFVR
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Young County & Anywhere A Duck Flies!

Quote:
It could get very bad, it could get a direct hit. It's gonna be a strong and dangerous storm
Ducko ,we are gonna keep you & the gang over there in our prayers if it hits there. Please let us know if y'all need anything!
DUKFVR is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-27-2021, 02:42 PM   #182
jer_james
Pope & Young

This thing looks rough for sure - Yall in the area take care.
jer_james is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-27-2021, 02:49 PM   #183
Buck hunter332
Eight Point

Hunt In: The water

Quote:
That ainít worth a darn praying for all yíall over there
Buck hunter332 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-27-2021, 03:13 PM   #184
Etxbuckman
Pope & Young

Is this wind blowing across the Houston area today the outer bands of the storm starting to get closer? if so I perish the thought of what it’s going to be when it actually makes landfall.
Etxbuckman is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-27-2021, 03:38 PM   #185
Duckologist
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Etxbuckman View Post
Is this wind blowing across the Houston area today the outer bands of the storm starting to get closer? if so I perish the thought of what itís going to be when it actually makes landfall.
No storm not in gulf yet

Old 08-27-2021, 03:39 PM   #186
Duckologist
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by DUKFVR View Post
Ducko ,we are gonna keep you & the gang over there in our prayers if it hits there. Please let us know if y'all need anything!
Preciate ya

Old 08-27-2021, 04:03 PM   #187
SaltwaterSlick
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swamprat View Post
I have family evacuating as I type, some coming here... Blake, I had thought about have my son stop in NI to pick up some goods from you... but figured he better get on the road here to avoid heavy traffic... I need some chili mix! haha.

During Katrina, my house became known as Camp West as we had our place FULL of evacuees for a few weeks. One thing that I'll forever be grateful for was the 24/7 live rebroadcast of WWL-TV over the KHOU 11.2 channel. WWL is the staple for news, weather and to be able to watch it live from Spring was surreal. Most local communications were out of commission, cell service highly unreliable and so to a large degree, that was our only source of info..

Swamprat, I know what you mean about WWL/NOLA! My first trip to the Far East was a long one and we had bad weather hit us just out of Japan and got caught up in a typhoon for 3 days because of limited power and a bent screw... That was terrible... One of the most welcome sounds I've ever heard was the first American Radio station that I could pick up as soon as the ship cleared the Panama Canal. It was WWL in New Orleans... I felt like I was home!! Still took us a while to get into port (Houston) since we could only make 5 knots, but I listened to that Station non-stop all the way back up the Latin American Coast at night. Once we cleared the Yucatan, it sounded like we were at the mouth of the Mississippi it was so clear!

Sure pray y'all get by lightly with this one!
SaltwaterSlick is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-27-2021, 06:06 PM   #188
bloodstick
Ten Point

Hunt In: All over Texas

My mom lives 15 miles from Cypemort Point in Lydia and all of my siblings are in New Iberia and a few distant relatives in the Houma area which will take the brunt of the storm if it hangs on this current track.
Mom is not staying, thank God, but her idea is going to Lafayette which is better but still not ideal.
My brothers and their families feel confident and refuse to leave New Iberia. Praying for their safety.

Texas Storm Chasers using Noaa data talking strong Cat 4 possibly Cat5.

bloodstick is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-27-2021, 06:27 PM   #189
Duckologist
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by bloodstick View Post
My mom lives 15 miles from Cypemort Point in Lydia and all of my siblings are in New Iberia and a few distant relatives in the Houma area which will take the brunt of the storm if it hangs on this current track.
Mom is not staying, thank God, but her idea is going to Lafayette which is better but still not ideal.
My brothers and their families feel confident and refuse to leave New Iberia. Praying for their safety.

Texas Storm Chasers using Noaa data talking strong Cat 4 possibly Cat5.

Bad idea, ask those that hung around for Laura if dey would ever do that again. Hell I stayed for Delta and almost regretted it. It was a long loud night. Cant imagine what Laura sounded like.

Old 08-27-2021, 06:30 PM   #190
Johnny
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Montgomery & Madison Counties

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasBob View Post
Would love a Johnny explanation on why they hit overnight. I did learn during Harvey that as temps cool overnight rainfall rates increase with tropical systems.

I'm not going to act like I know since I have never looked into it but the majority of the storms I have been thorough came in during the night/early morning.

Alicia, Rita & Ike just to name a few. Harvey didn't hit me directly but came ashore at night as well.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
Johnny is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-27-2021, 06:30 PM   #191
bloodstick
Ten Point

Hunt In: All over Texas

Quote:
Bad idea, ask those that hung around for Laura if dey would ever do that again. Hell I stayed for Delta and almost regretted it. It was a long loud night. Cant imagine what Laura sounded like.

My oldest brother claims it wonít be any worse than what he got from Laura since he is on the weat side of the current track. But if it shifts west, he will regret his decision.

bloodstick is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-27-2021, 07:16 PM   #192
waterdog
Pope & Young

big blowup.https://www.tropicaltidbits.com/sat/...09L&product=ir
waterdog is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-27-2021, 07:48 PM   #193
Duckologist
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny View Post
I'm not going to act like I know since I have never looked into it but the majority of the storms I have been thorough came in during the night/early morning.

Alicia, Rita & Ike just to name a few. Harvey didn't hit me directly but came ashore at night as well.

Laura and Delta as well

Old 08-27-2021, 10:18 PM   #194
bowfishin fool
Ten Point

Hunt In: Harper Tx, Cuero TX

Big girl

bowfishin fool is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-27-2021, 11:13 PM   #195
MarkV
Pope & Young

I’m hoping my family in Baton Rouge stays safe. I doubt they leave. My mid 90’s great uncle is who I worry about the most.
MarkV is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-27-2021, 11:18 PM   #196
Muddy Bud
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Jim Hogg

We were one of the fortune ones coming out to rig today while everyone else was evacuating. Somehow I always seem to find myself in these situations. Race to pull riser to get out of the path with time and weather against us.
Muddy Bud is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-28-2021, 12:06 AM   #197
Black Ice
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Jefferson & Brooks County

Quote:
Originally Posted by Landrover View Post
Sounds like we grew up doing the same things to a T!!!
I'm at a board meeting for SCI in Vegas this week and trying to get mom and dad to get on the road to Texas.

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk

Iím younger than yíall by a few years and grew up in Beaumont and we did the same thing.

Mom graduated from Berwick High and dad graduated from Morgan City High. Thatís probably where that came from.

I have a lot of family in Amelia, Morgan City, Patterson that Iím worried about. I say Iím worried about them but they never leave and are all 65 to 83.

I feel like they have it figured out by now lol.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Last edited by Black Ice; 08-28-2021 at 12:21 AM.
Black Ice is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-28-2021, 06:06 AM   #198
Etxbuckman
Pope & Young

Accuweathers showing now this thing comes ashore as a Cat 4. That just blows my mind. This is gonna be bad, bad, bad. I can only imagine what the effects would have been had it wound up hitting south of Houston though.

Prayers up for all those in its path. Y’all just don’t deserve this.
Etxbuckman is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-28-2021, 07:33 AM   #199
Johnny
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Montgomery & Madison Counties

She just got into the open Gulf and is starting to ramp up. This ain't gonna be good.

Johnny is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-28-2021, 07:43 AM   #200
drop dead fred
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny View Post
She just got into the open Gulf and is starting to ramp up. This ain't gonna be good.

Man Iíve been beggin friends an family to come stay here, i have a bad feelin about this one tor some reason