Go Back   TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums > Topics > Around the Campfire

Old 07-10-2021, 06:49 PM   #51
Burnadell
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Bee County

Quote:
Originally Posted by RWB View Post
Yes we own a storage facility and our rental agreement specifically states not responsible for lost or stolen items. The thing I have always worried about is if you state security and surveillance and you don't provide it then you could be sued for negligence and void the agreement. I have always just been conservative. Either way the facility should have liability insurance.

I agree with you.
Burnadell is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-11-2021, 09:28 AM   #52
Saltaholic
Associate Sponsor

Thanks for the input TBH

camper is covered but we will still have to pay the deductible and our personal stuff itís just gone. Sucks but our family is ok and we will move on, kids were pretty shook up.

On to the next adventure
Saltaholic is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-11-2021, 09:45 AM   #53
warrington
Ten Point

Hunt In: Abilene

Just a question

When everyone puts their trailers in a storage unit space, do you all put locks on the trailer hitches? Or do you place a lock that goes up in the ball socket space? Because wouldn’t those have to be cut off with a saws all or a grinder?
warrington is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-11-2021, 09:56 AM   #54
mdb
Eight Point

Hunt In: Hallettsville,Victoria,New Hampshire

Buddy at work had his stolen years ago. The use them for cooking meth. Found it burned down off a side road on I-10. Good luck.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
mdb is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-14-2021, 08:36 AM   #55
Saltaholic
Associate Sponsor

Still no word on anything at allÖ.. insurance is being very understanding and helpful but no news from anyone else. Guess itís long gone by now
Old 07-14-2021, 08:47 AM   #56
DUKFVR
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Young County & Anywhere A Duck Flies!

Just saw this. Really sorry to see this. Like everyone, hate thieves. They should all be hung. I hope it all works out in your favor.
DUKFVR is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-14-2021, 08:56 AM   #57
Chief Big Toe
Ten Point

Hunt In: Sparkman,Arkansas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hogmauler View Post
If that owner advertised his lot with 24 hour security he should at least be on the hook for your deductible if his Securitate money was down for three weeks. Totally unacceptable.
^^^^^^^^
This!!

good Luck in finding it, as it kinda sounds like an inside job, or help someone get to it by not having the cameras,,, that is there only line of defense when it comes to thievery
Chief Big Toe is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-14-2021, 09:25 AM   #58
Parramore
Eight Point

Hunt In: West Texas

It for sure out in the middle of no where, being used to house a meth lab. This sucks. I would be livid with that storage place.
Parramore is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-14-2021, 09:43 AM   #59
tx_basser
Eight Point

Hunt In: Any place Public

a buddy had his boat taken from locked storage and come to get it one day and found it gone with lock still on door. Come to find out the owners son was taking it out for joy rides.
tx_basser is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-14-2021, 09:46 AM   #60
WItoTX
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Wisconsin, New Mexico, Colorado, Montana, Idaho

Quote:
Originally Posted by Backwoods101 View Post
On the bright side...congrats on the sale

Man it took way longer than I expected for someone to make this comment! LOL

Sorry your luck OP. Hope you find it.
WItoTX is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-14-2021, 09:55 AM   #61
WyoBull
Ten Point

Hunt In: Wyoming

Quote:
Originally Posted by warrington View Post
Just a question

When everyone puts their trailers in a storage unit space, do you all put locks on the trailer hitches? Or do you place a lock that goes up in the ball socket space? Because wouldnít those have to be cut off with a saws all or a grinder?
I wondered about this too. I keep a hitch lock on all my trailers. It may not keep someone from stealing if they want it bad enough but it sure is a deterrent.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
WyoBull is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-14-2021, 09:58 AM   #62
TXHUNT3R
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Hempstead & Timpson

Quote:
Originally Posted by rtp View Post
They must use the same security cameras that they had on Epstien.

Iím with the crowd that says inside job. Either the owner of the storage lot or one of his employees.

Haha, this!!

I sure hope it gets found in one piece. Dang it
TXHUNT3R is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-14-2021, 10:17 AM   #63
S-3 Ranch
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Sisterdale and el dorado , Jeff Davis, refugio/sinton , San perlita
Default Drug smugglers

Quote:
Originally Posted by tx_basser View Post
a buddy had his boat taken from locked storage and come to get it one day and found it gone with lock still on door. Come to find out the owners son was taking it out for joy rides.
Years ago, I had my 25 Boston whaler in storage unit in port Mansfield, after a fall & winter of it sitting in storage, we went down to
Do some spring maintenance, and notice something isn’t right,
Then find a bag of weed and some other drug stuff, we called the cops, a sheriff’s department officer, game warden, and coast guard, DEA all come and turns out the owner had been arrested for drug trafficking :
They did a ton of forensic investigation, finally I got the boat back
But that summer we kept getting stopped by coast guard and TP&W and boarded and searched, it was a headache for sure
Turns out the storage owner had been super busy using my boat and a couple others running around the check station by boat

Last edited by S-3 Ranch; 07-14-2021 at 10:37 AM.
S-3 Ranch is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-14-2021, 10:26 AM   #64
Saltaholic
Associate Sponsor

Default Camper stolen!! TBH??

Quote:
Originally Posted by WItoTX View Post
Man it took way longer than I expected for someone to make this comment! LOL

Sorry your luck OP. Hope you find it.

Lol yep itís ok about the camper but the ruined weekend and all of our personal stuff really sucks it was loaded with gear so we never had to pack
Old 07-14-2021, 10:43 AM   #65
Texastaxi
Pope & Young

Hunt In: now accepting invitations!

Just curious ... since you were trying to sell it, are you going to take the insurance money and call it good, or use the money to buy another one, and then sell it?
Texastaxi is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-14-2021, 10:45 AM   #66
odogg
Six Point

Hunt In: San Diego, Tx

I hate a thief. I hope you find your camper and the culprit.
odogg is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-14-2021, 10:58 AM   #67
Sackett
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Sutton County

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texastaxi View Post
Just curious ... since you were trying to sell it, are you going to take the insurance money and call it good, or use the money to buy another one, and then sell it?
I'm hoping you're kidding? Why on earth would he buy another camper with the market on them so high right now, just to turn around and sell it?
Sackett is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-14-2021, 11:12 AM   #68
Chief Big Toe
Ten Point

remember this is TBH, there always has to a good'ol smart-alecky comment inserted from time to time...
Old 07-14-2021, 11:51 AM   #69
2B4Him
Ten Point

Hunt In: Izoro

A storage facility does not have an insurable interest in the property of others. Their insurance does not cover it.
If a facility is a member of the Texas Self Storage Association and uses the TSSA lease, the renter will have specifically acknowledged that the facility is NOT responsible for theft and that the tenant has insurance or is self-insured.
Representing security that is not provided can definitely provide problems. But the TSSA lease provides that the facility is not responsible if/when security features are temporarily down.
From a practical standpoint, a facility simply CANNOT prevent all theft/vandalism, etc. (at least not for a price tenants are willing to pay). At our facility, we provide fencing, gated access, cameras, lighting, etc. And we have a major interstate with 120K+ cars going by every day. Yet, we still have occasional issues with bad guys (climb the fence, cut the chain for the gate, break through the fence, etc.). Just because that occasionally happens is certainly no indication of an 'inside job', unless by 'inside' you are referring to other tenants (which is certainly the case at times).
And cameras are, in practicality, only deterrents. Except for our high-dollar license plate camera, even good, clear pictures are of little use. Getting LEO very interested in crime at a storage facility (where people store their 'extra' stuff) is difficult and unless the particular officer recognizes the perp, the pictures obtained are just pretty pictures.
If you have lost something that was stored at a facility, I understand your frustration. But I can guarantee you that the facility owner/manager is extremely frustrated with any crime that takes place, as well. It is a very 'helpless' what-can-I-do-now situation. And dealing with the aftermath and upset tenants is a day/week/month ruiner.
2B4Him is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-14-2021, 12:10 PM   #70
bowhuntertex
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Where ever the wind takes me......

That is the 3rd travel trailer that I know of that has been stolen in this area over the last 2 weeks. The meth is bad in the area
bowhuntertex is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-14-2021, 12:16 PM   #71
sotx
Ten Point

Hunt In: McMullen County

Quote:
Originally Posted by RifleBowPistol View Post
Yeah, the lake, more so the north side, is full of criminals and drugs. Comal County stays busy all the time around the lake.

I would not be surprised if someone wanted a new home and drug it to the north side of the lake.
This is exactly what I was thinking.

On another note its my experience any time you get near a body of water where people live the scuzzier the people get.
sotx is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-14-2021, 12:20 PM   #72
Saltaholic
Associate Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texastaxi View Post

Thanks for asking I thinkÖ.

Itís financed so Iím hoping it gets paid off and we probably wonít buy another one. This one was too small for 5 people thatís why we didnít use it much and listed it for sale. For my family we really need a bigger camper but I canít afford one right now.

I stand to make zero money off this deal if thatís what you were asking
In fact I will lose about $2k in camping and fishing gear
Old 07-14-2021, 12:48 PM   #73
Leverhunter
Eight Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saltaholic View Post
Thanks for asking I thinkÖ.

Itís financed so Iím hoping it gets paid off and we probably wonít buy another one. This one was too small for 5 people thatís why we didnít use it much and listed it for sale. For my family we really need a bigger camper but I canít afford one right now.

I stand to make zero money off this deal if thatís what you were asking
In fact I will lose about $2k in camping and fishing gear
Home owners insurance for goods lost ? I had a Uhaul trailer broken into and home owners covered the contents.
Leverhunter is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-14-2021, 12:53 PM   #74
Colton
Pope & Young

Hunt In: South Texas

Quote:
Originally Posted by sotx View Post
On another note its my experience any time you get near a body of water where people live the scuzzier the people get.
I agree with you on that, Iíve spent a lot of time around Canyon Lake and there is a ton of trashy people in that area
Colton is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-14-2021, 01:11 PM   #75
Texastaxi
Pope & Young

Hunt In: now accepting invitations!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sackett View Post
I'm hoping you're kidding? Why on earth would he buy another camper with the market on them so high right now, just to turn around and sell it?
Yes and no.
Mine is currently rented, but we did have it for sale.
When we had it in storage, I hoped it would be gone every time we drove by there.

Sent from my SM-A115AZ using Tapatalk
Texastaxi is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-14-2021, 01:16 PM   #76
Chief Big Toe
Ten Point

try going around Lake Tawakoni... Duck Cove, East as well as West Tawakoni area, I hear they called the Meth Capital of Texas
perhaps something to being around the lake you find more undesirables
Old 07-14-2021, 01:39 PM   #77
GarGuy
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2B4Him View Post
A storage facility does not have an insurable interest in the property of others. Their insurance does not cover it.
If a facility is a member of the Texas Self Storage Association and uses the TSSA lease, the renter will have specifically acknowledged that the facility is NOT responsible for theft and that the tenant has insurance or is self-insured.
Representing security that is not provided can definitely provide problems. But the TSSA lease provides that the facility is not responsible if/when security features are temporarily down.
From a practical standpoint, a facility simply CANNOT prevent all theft/vandalism, etc. (at least not for a price tenants are willing to pay). At our facility, we provide fencing, gated access, cameras, lighting, etc. And we have a major interstate with 120K+ cars going by every day. Yet, we still have occasional issues with bad guys (climb the fence, cut the chain for the gate, break through the fence, etc.). Just because that occasionally happens is certainly no indication of an 'inside job', unless by 'inside' you are referring to other tenants (which is certainly the case at times).
And cameras are, in practicality, only deterrents. Except for our high-dollar license plate camera, even good, clear pictures are of little use. Getting LEO very interested in crime at a storage facility (where people store their 'extra' stuff) is difficult and unless the particular officer recognizes the perp, the pictures obtained are just pretty pictures.
If you have lost something that was stored at a facility, I understand your frustration. But I can guarantee you that the facility owner/manager is extremely frustrated with any crime that takes place, as well. It is a very 'helpless' what-can-I-do-now situation. And dealing with the aftermath and upset tenants is a day/week/month ruiner.
I'm sure you see it that way but there is a difference between insurable interest and liability. Advertise 24 hour security and surveillance then a high dollar item gets lost but no surveillance. That's where owner liability kicks in if an insurance company felt it worth while.
GarGuy is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-14-2021, 01:55 PM   #78
SabineHunter
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by warrington View Post
Just a question

When everyone puts their trailers in a storage unit space, do you all put locks on the trailer hitches? Or do you place a lock that goes up in the ball socket space? Because wouldnít those have to be cut off with a saws all or a grinder?
While I lock my trailers, the yellow locks that fit in the ball socket are useless. I couldn't find my key last month so I used a hammer to slip the lock off.
SabineHunter is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-14-2021, 02:00 PM   #79
Hoggslayer
Pope & Young

Hunt In: My Truck at night.

I need to check to see if my Mother-inlaws is still at storage. Hopefully someone has stolen it. Its 9 years old and only used one weekend. She put it in storage and hasn't seen it since. I'd love to use it, but if I did, it would it would become my fault and responsibility. So for that reason it sits.
Hoggslayer is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-14-2021, 02:25 PM   #80
WItoTX
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Wisconsin, New Mexico, Colorado, Montana, Idaho

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saltaholic View Post
Lol yep itís ok about the camper but the ruined weekend and all of our personal stuff really sucks it was loaded with gear so we never had to pack
I hear ya. Ours is packed full in storage now too. I couldn't even tell you everything in there, so making the insurance claim would suck because I know I would forget stuff. Good luck
WItoTX is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-14-2021, 09:13 PM   #81
Saltaholic
Associate Sponsor

Well they found itÖ. Recovered in San Antonio in the process of being gutted. Canít imagine the parts could be more than a few thousand dollars on the black market. Cops said they left the handwritten vin on the frame lol but all other info and brands etc were stripped. What a shame.

Old 09-14-2021, 09:17 PM   #82
AlaskaFlyerFan
Ten Point

Hunt In: Don't have a place yet

Hopefully, someone got arrested.

Did your insurance company take care of you?
AlaskaFlyerFan is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-14-2021, 09:17 PM   #83
WyoBull
Ten Point

Hunt In: Wyoming

Bastages!!!

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
WyoBull is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-14-2021, 09:20 PM   #84
SabineHunter
Ten Point

I truly hate thieves
SabineHunter is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-14-2021, 09:22 PM   #85
txhunt7
Eight Point

I am around RVs a bit, there are a lot of the Sprinters around. Is there anything identifiable on the trailer which is inconspicuous they wouldn't have changed which could be used to identify it?
txhunt7 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-14-2021, 09:32 PM   #86
3ChordTruth
Ten Point

Man, those gutted pics are a shame, d*** thieves.
3ChordTruth is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-14-2021, 09:36 PM   #87
Benno
Six Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by txhunt7 View Post
I am around RVs a bit, there are a lot of the Sprinters around. Is there anything identifiable on the trailer which is inconspicuous they wouldn't have changed which could be used to identify it?
Like what? Maybe a handwritten vin #?
Benno is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-14-2021, 09:38 PM   #88
rjet
Pope & Young

Sorry for your bad luck, hate thieves and hope they catch them.
But if yall know of any thieves that will haul off a camper and strip it I have one they can come get. Am trying to give one away and cant find any scrap yard to come get it.
rjet is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-14-2021, 09:41 PM   #89
Lungbustr
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjet View Post
Sorry for your bad luck, hate thieves and hope they catch them.
But if yall know of any thieves that will haul off a camper and strip it I have one they can come get. Am trying to give one away and cant find any scrap yard to come get it.
Spray paint sprinter deluxe on it and park near canyon lake.
Lungbustr is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-14-2021, 09:56 PM   #90
mzurovec
Ten Point

Hunt In: Burnet

Of all the things to steal to gut for parts, about the last thing I'd think of is an RV. Nothing but a bunch of ChiComm plastic in mine and most I've been in. OP sorry you're having to deal with this and I'll be thinking about ours as it sits in storage.
mzurovec is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-15-2021, 06:56 AM   #91
Sticks&Strings
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by mzurovec View Post
Of all the things to steal to gut for parts, about the last thing I'd think of is an RV. Nothing but a bunch of ChiComm plastic in mine and most I've been in. OP sorry you're having to deal with this and I'll be thinking about ours as it sits in storage.
I had the same thought. Aside from his personal belongings, what good and of value did they get out of it?

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk
Sticks&Strings is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-15-2021, 07:25 AM   #92
Snapperhead94
Spike

Sorry to hear. Sure seems like filing a claim would initiate the investigation?
Snapperhead94 is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-15-2021, 07:31 AM   #93
Bassdeer
Ten Point

That thing has to be littered with finger prints. Their not smart enough to use gloves.
Bassdeer is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-15-2021, 07:46 AM   #94
kmack
Eight Point

Hunt In: ??

Sorry to hear about the loss of the camper. Hopefully, you and the family will get back to a point of camping again, and maybe we'll see you back out at Potters. We're out there all the time.

Best wishes, Ken
kmack is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-15-2021, 07:59 AM   #95
Hotrodd
Ten Point

Hunt In: Central Texas

Truly hate a thief!
Hotrodd is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-15-2021, 08:13 AM   #96
gingib
Pope & Young

Hunt In: NTX

Quote:
Originally Posted by RWB View Post
Yes we own a storage facility and our rental agreement specifically states not responsible for lost or stolen items. The thing I have always worried about is if you state security and surveillance and you don't provide it then you could be sued for negligence and void the agreement. I have always just been conservative. Either way the facility should have liability insurance.
Very well said!
gingib is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-15-2021, 08:14 AM   #97
Quackerbox
Pope & Young

Hunt In: The woods

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bassdeer View Post
That thing has to be littered with finger prints. Their not smart enough to use gloves.
LOL

While youre not wrong (and a perfect surface to lift them really), thats an entirely different discussion
Quackerbox is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-15-2021, 08:22 AM   #98
Paycheck
Ten Point

At least they found it for some closure. That suxs.
Paycheck is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-15-2021, 08:27 AM   #99
bermise
Ten Point

Hunt In: Webb county

Quote:
Originally Posted by CabezaBlanca View Post
I donít think the for sale ad had anything to do with its disappearance. Why would someone target it just because it was for sale? If theyíre looking for a camper to steal in a storage lot just go drive by one and pick one out. There are hundreds to choose from.
Agree, mentioning it was for sale here only is strange. As if it being for sale on here only eludes to a tbh related theft.
bermise is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-15-2021, 08:37 AM   #100
ShooterJr.
Eight Point

Hope they find it unless you donít mind the total and donít want it recoveredÖ.. I had my truck, enclosed trailer, and all my equipment stolen this year and I wish that truck would have never been found. Been absolute hell with it ever since. They tore it up. Any questions about how much of a headache it will be and how to go about personal items please message me and Iíll give my 2 cents. Good luck on the search Iíll keep eye out along 35 this weekend while traveling
ShooterJr. is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top