Go Back   TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums > Topics > Around the Campfire

Old 03-30-2021, 02:02 PM   #151
rtp
Pope & Young

Hunt In: open range

Quote:
Originally Posted by SabreKiller View Post
Welcome back rtp!!! Getting old doesn't suck, it's the mileage that does the damage and that's what sucks. I'm pretty much in the same boat as you. 5 surgeries in the last 9-10 years is getting old. I'm about 9 pounds heavier than I want to be and I've been telling myself for years that I was going to change my eating habits and get down to 10-12% body fat. I've finally given up and decided that I'm going to eat for girth.

I may be old, but I can darn sure outlift most of these young bucks!
Quote:
Originally Posted by quarterback View Post
Congrats to Landrover and rtp and the others for providing us with much needed inspiration. Keep up the good work gentlemen! I'm just about to pull the trigger and register for the Cowtown half marathon to be held May 8th. I can already feel my lungs and legs burning now.
Thanks guys. I wont be posting too much but I can assure you I will be in the gym a minimum of 4 days a week and probably 5-6 days.

Right now to ease back in Ive broken up my normal workouts into 2 separate days so I may be in there 7 days for the first few weeks.
rtp is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-31-2021, 08:35 AM   #152
SabreKiller
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Terrell and Val Verde County

Kicked it up a notch today. Heavy day and 5x5 on chest and 5x10 on triceps.

Incline bench press/weighted dips/incline situp
Flat bench press/skull crushers/ab roller
Decline bench press/cable kickbacks/hanging leg raise
SabreKiller is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-31-2021, 08:50 AM   #153
Landrover
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Wherever & Whenever
Thumbs up

36 miles on my bike yesterday but did not drop any pounds. Another plateau? Probably, as it happens every dang 2 weeks or so. Frustrating as heck but NO EXCUSES.......keep pushing.
Quote:
Originally Posted by quarterback View Post
Congrats to Landrover and rtp and the others for providing us with much needed inspiration. Keep up the good work gentlemen! I'm just about to pull the trigger and register for the Cowtown half marathon to be held May 8th. I can already feel my lungs and legs burning now.
Wow! 13.2 running is only a dream right now for me. But it is in the back of my head for the future. If my right calf would loosen up I think I could at least start running on a regular basis.
Quote:
Originally Posted by rtp View Post
Thanks guys. I wont be posting too much but I can assure you I will be in the gym a minimum of 4 days a week and probably 5-6 days.

Right now to ease back in Ive broken up my normal workouts into 2 separate days so I may be in there 7 days for the first few weeks.
I need to realize I must do the same at this point. I am overly gung-ho when I start as my mind thinks I am back in college throwing steel around.
Landrover is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-31-2021, 09:41 AM   #154
rtp
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by Landrover View Post
36 miles on my bike yesterday but did not drop any pounds. Another plateau? Probably, as it happens every dang 2 weeks or so. Frustrating as heck but NO EXCUSES.......keep pushing.

Wow! 13.2 running is only a dream right now for me. But it is in the back of my head for the future. If my right calf would loosen up I think I could at least start running on a regular basis.

I need to realize I must do the same at this point. I am overly gung-ho when I start as my mind thinks I am back in college throwing steel around.
Oscar are you varying your speed on your rides or pretty much staying in the same zone for the entire ride?
Old 03-31-2021, 10:59 AM   #155
Landrover
Pope & Young

Lightbulb

Quote:
Oscar are you varying your speed on your rides or pretty much staying in the same zone for the entire ride?
Oh yea! Pushing pretty hard, changing gears, getting huge lactic acid burns in thighs. Just finished 12.44 miles before the rain. Gonna hit it again in an hour or so. My body figures out it is under pressure and hangs on to the reserve fat like a tick on a hound. All good, as I will win!
Old 03-31-2021, 01:04 PM   #156
rtp
Pope & Young

Quote:
Oh yea! Pushing pretty hard, changing gears, getting huge lactic acid burns in thighs. Just finished 12.44 miles before the rain. Gonna hit it again in an hour or so. My body figures out it is under pressure and hangs on to the reserve fat like a tick on a hound. All good, as I will win!
Brother I know that feeling all too well. If you are using any type of heart rate device, try to sprint if on flat land or climb a hill as hard as you can for a few minutes getting your heart rate up into the low 170s then throttle it down until your heart rate is in the mid 120s to mid 130s then stay there for a few minutes and repeat.

It is crazy how well our bodies adjust to what is going on whether it is exercise or diet. We have to keep our bodies guessing at what is coming next. And yes, we will win! Keep it up!
Old 03-31-2021, 01:09 PM   #157
Landrover
Pope & Young

Quote:
Brother I know that feeling all too well. If you are using any type of heart rate device, try to sprint if on flat land or climb a hill as hard as you can for a few minutes getting your heart rate up into the low 170s then throttle it down until your heart rate is in the mid 120s to mid 130s then stay there for a few minutes and repeat.

It is crazy how well our bodies adjust to what is going on whether it is exercise or diet. We have to keep our bodies guessing at what is coming next. And yes, we will win! Keep it up!
You are the 2nd person to tell me about a heart monitor. I know nada about them but will look into it. Is this a Academy Sporting Goods item or a specialty item?
Old 03-31-2021, 08:09 PM   #158
rtp
Pope & Young

Quote:
You are the 2nd person to tell me about a heart monitor. I know nada about them but will look into it. Is this a Academy Sporting Goods item or a specialty item?
I have a garmin vivo 3 music watch that has all sorts of functions on it including heart rate monitor. Simply wear it on your wrist like any watch and switch over to the HR mode when exercising if you want to keep track of what is going on there. It is very helpful in the quest to burn fat effeciently while exercising. I just gave you some ballpark heart rate numbers to aim for but they should work. Basically Im getting you into zone 3 which burns more carbs than fat and then takes you down into the low end of zone 2 which burns more fat than carbs. The more time spent in zone 2 equals more fat burned but you dont want to be there 100% of the time. Spiking your heart rate and then letting it come back down is where it is at for cardio. There are all sorts of plans to do it. I just gave you a simple one that is easy to control while bike riding. I love the bike because it is so much easier on my balking knee than running on a treadmill or outside on the pavement.
Old 04-02-2021, 08:38 PM   #159
Landrover
Pope & Young

Quote:
I have a garmin vivo 3 music watch that has all sorts of functions on it including heart rate monitor. Simply wear it on your wrist like any watch and switch over to the HR mode when exercising if you want to keep track of what is going on there. It is very helpful in the quest to burn fat effeciently while exercising. I just gave you some ballpark heart rate numbers to aim for but they should work. Basically Im getting you into zone 3 which burns more carbs than fat and then takes you down into the low end of zone 2 which burns more fat than carbs. The more time spent in zone 2 equals more fat burned but you dont want to be there 100% of the time. Spiking your heart rate and then letting it come back down is where it is at for cardio. There are all sorts of plans to do it. I just gave you a simple one that is easy to control while bike riding. I love the bike because it is so much easier on my balking knee than running on a treadmill or outside on the pavement.
You rock!!! I will look on Amazon tomorrow or geaux to Academy and Best Buy if cruising around. Thank you!!!

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk
Old 04-05-2021, 08:36 AM   #160
SabreKiller
Pope & Young

I'm pretty sure I tore some stuff up on Friday. After hitting my head on the attic entrance door jam I had a HUGE abdominal cramp. It was so bad I had this huge lump just below my rib cage on the the right side. I swear it looked like my wife's abdomen when the baby would stick a foot out. My first thought was I was going to die in the loft and my second thought was it was a hernia. It's gone away, but it hurt for quite some time. Any ideas?

Today was back and leg day. Supersets 3X8-10

Bodywieght wide grip pullups/supersquat/incline situp
BB row inverse grip/sled leg press/ab roller
V-bar row/bodyweight ring pullup/incline leg raise
Old 04-05-2021, 08:42 AM   #161
150class
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Uvalde, Boerne

Missed yesterday but thats the only day since last week
150class is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-05-2021, 09:03 AM   #162
Landrover
Pope & Young

225 pushup yesterday and 12.6 miles on bike ride. I joined the Mission 22 push up challenge this year.

Old 04-05-2021, 04:26 PM   #163
Landrover
Pope & Young

Quote:
I have a garmin vivo 3 music watch that has all sorts of functions on it including heart rate monitor. Simply wear it on your wrist like any watch and switch over to the HR mode when exercising if you want to keep track of what is going on there. It is very helpful in the quest to burn fat effeciently while exercising. I just gave you some ballpark heart rate numbers to aim for but they should work. Basically Im getting you into zone 3 which burns more carbs than fat and then takes you down into the low end of zone 2 which burns more fat than carbs. The more time spent in zone 2 equals more fat burned but you dont want to be there 100% of the time. Spiking your heart rate and then letting it come back down is where it is at for cardio.
Just got the vivosmart 4......hopefully I can make it work....lol.Name:  20210405_162401.jpg
Views: 433
Size:  39.4 KB

Old 04-06-2021, 08:42 AM   #164
SabreKiller
Pope & Young

Chest and biceps today. 3 supersets with a strip set at the end. Lots of people in the gym this morning doing the same thing so I rearranged the order I had planned on.

Seated wide grip chest press/ preacher curl/ab roller
Incline bench press on smith every setting to flat/BB curl
Incline bench press on smith every setting to flat/hammer curl
Push up/overhead cable curl
Old 04-06-2021, 08:49 AM   #165
150class
Pope & Young

Cardio, Chest/Tris and core this AM
Old 04-06-2021, 08:50 AM   #166
rtp
Pope & Young

I made to the gym 5 times last week. Also got on the bike 4 times as well to log some afternoon miles. Yesterday was chest, biceps, calves and some stretching then put in a little over an hour on the bike when I got home.
Old 04-06-2021, 09:50 AM   #167
imyomama
Ten Point

30 pushups 3:24 minutes of your day... a lot harder than it looks .. try it!

imyomama is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-06-2021, 10:18 AM   #168
Landrover
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by imyomama View Post
Interesting......I'm doing the "Mission 22" Veterans Push Up Challenge now for April. May do this one in May however.

Old 04-06-2021, 09:59 PM   #169
rtp
Pope & Young

Shoulders, traps and kettle bell swings. Rode my bike for 32 minutes afterwards.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 04-06-2021, 10:09 PM   #170
Olympic Recurve
Ten Point

Hunt In: TX

Day 2 P90X
Olympic Recurve is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-06-2021, 10:17 PM   #171
arrowsonly88
Ten Point

Hunt In: Coke county, Concho county, Bastrop county.
Default 2021 Workout accountability thread...

Iíll hop on this thread. Been at it for 3 weeks now, trying to keep it up. Doing home work outs and lifts. Also running the neighborhood at night. Yíall keep it up, need the motivation

Last edited by arrowsonly88; 04-06-2021 at 10:41 PM.
arrowsonly88 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-08-2021, 07:22 AM   #172
150class
Pope & Young

Shoulders and core yesterday
Back, Bi’s and cardio this morning

Headed to Vegas today so the next few days will just be golf for exercise lol
Old 04-08-2021, 08:22 AM   #173
SabreKiller
Pope & Young

Rest day yesterday and triceps and back today.
Old 04-09-2021, 08:33 AM   #174
SabreKiller
Pope & Young

Not a bad gym day at all today. Got it done by doing some giant sets and supersets. Chest, legs and biceps today. Laid off the ab work until I figure out if I've got some kind of hernia or something going on.

Bench press strip sets/curl bar with handles/sled leg press
Incline cable fly/prone leg curl/BB curl
Push up/incline DB curl/leg extension
Old 04-09-2021, 11:48 AM   #175
Landrover
Pope & Young

Threw 2k pounds of corn on wednesday into all the feeders and 12.2 miles on my bike yesterday. 75 push-ups this morning.......150 more to make up last 2 days. Also, bike 12+ miles later today. Holding steady at 202 pounds and feeling . # StayHard

Old 04-09-2021, 11:31 PM   #176
Rcole1310
Ten Point

Hunt In: All over

Quote:
Threw 2k pounds of corn on wednesday into all the feeders and 12.2 miles on my bike yesterday. 75 push-ups this morning.......150 more to make up last 2 days. Also, bike 12+ miles later today. Holding steady at 202 pounds and feeling . # StayHard

202??? Man thatís awesome!

Rcole1310 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-10-2021, 07:45 AM   #177
rtp
Pope & Young

Heading in shortly for the 5th time this week. Only got on the bike once this week but played golf a couple times. Lots of walking there because we are cart path only this month and I never hit it by the cart path, lol.
Old 04-10-2021, 07:48 AM   #178
Landrover
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rcole1310 View Post
202??? Man thatís awesome!

Thx man! Been a fun time actually. Thinking I want to get down to 190ish. I was 183 when I got married 27 years ago......that would be a serious STRETCH goal!!!

Old 04-11-2021, 09:12 AM   #179
CRM_95
Pope & Young

Hunt In: East TX

I'm trying to drop from 220 to 210 for summer, and I'm at 215 today so on track losing about 1 lb per week. Today was just a quick abs/arms workout.

4 sets each
tri ext's
wrist curls
hammer curls
lat raises
overhead press
decline sit ups

Sunday is also the day I cook for the week and do all my meal prep. Dinner is always easy to eat clean because I'm home, eating out for lunch is a constant struggle lol.
CRM_95 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-12-2021, 09:30 AM   #180
SabreKiller
Pope & Young

A good start to the day. Kicked my own butt today and I like it. Giant sets for chest, biceps, legs and abs to boot. It's a good thing the pre-workout kicked in.

Incline chest press on smith every setting to flat/leg extension, preacher curl and incline situp on each setting as well
Incline chest press on smith every setting to flat/prone leg curl, hammer curl and ab roller on each setting as well
Seated wide grip chest press/supersquat/curl bar with handles
Push ups/arm blaster curls

Probably stick with the giant sets all week.
Old 04-12-2021, 03:45 PM   #181
quarterback
Pope & Young

Hunt In: San Saba

Oscar how are you liking that Garmin fitness tracker? I need to get something else since my fitbit crapped out.
quarterback is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-12-2021, 05:16 PM   #182
rtp
Pope & Young

Shoulders, traps and core followed up with stretching and a 45 minute bike ride. Today was the first time since I started back that I attempted my entire core workout. Ive been easing into everything to make sure there are no back issue. I did the most basic movemonts and will had some difficulty as I can. Let me say it still kicked my butt! Everything feels good so onward!
Old 04-13-2021, 08:29 AM   #183
SabreKiller
Pope & Young

I'm going to feel it this afternoon for sure. Skipped the giant sets today and went back to supersets and I'm glad I did. Ibuprofen don't fail me now!

Landmine strip sets/weighted dips/incline situps
Overhead lat pull/skull crushers/leg raises
Bodyweight pullups/cable kickbacks
Rope pushdowns/cable lawnmowers
Old 04-13-2021, 09:04 AM   #184
150class
Pope & Young

Sunday night was the first full/non-drunk nights sleep in 3 days so I missed Monday morning...

This am was cardio and chest though!

Tomorrow is back
Old 04-13-2021, 09:30 AM   #185
gonzaleziam
Ten Point

Hunt In: Hidalgo County

Quote:
Originally Posted by gonzaleziam View Post
Started the year with the goal of 100 straight days of exercising and avoiding sodas. Exercise will vary daily to avoid burnout. Iím not a soda drinker but 2020 was different.

Goal Completed!! Onto the next one
Attached Images

gonzaleziam is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-14-2021, 08:44 AM   #186
SabreKiller
Pope & Young

I had to be at work early this morning so I had to get it done PDQ. Got some shoulders and leg work done.
Old 04-14-2021, 11:24 AM   #187
TXHUNT3R
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Hempstead & Timpson

Just reading through, great job guys, way to stay at it.

This year has thrown me off a little but i'm getting back on track. I quit my career job of 10 years to start my own business in January and that threw my routine for a loop.

I got COVID in March and that really killed my endurance even further.

Back on it now and riding a ton in preparation for the MS150. Well more like MS100 this year. Katy to Kyle Field in BCS.

My weight dropped down to the lowest ive seen in many years from the VID, trying to put a few back on. i'm 6' 2" and just under 185 right now. I feel better around 190 so trying to get back up a bit. With all the riding though, good lord, I never stop eating. Burning around 4K a day right now.

Anyhow, just checking in. God Bless!
TXHUNT3R is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-14-2021, 11:51 AM   #188
rtp
Pope & Young

Leg day.....nuff said. Added in a core workout as well. If the weather holds Ill be on the bike later today.
Old 04-15-2021, 10:54 AM   #189
SabreKiller
Pope & Young

Chest and biceps today. I sure wanted to sleep in, but made myself get up. I'm glad I did. Supersets with some abs thrown in.

Incline chest press every setting to flat/preacher curl after every bench setting/incline situp
Incline chest press every setting to flat/BB curl after every bench setting/leg raises
Inverse grip bench press/hammer curl bar
Incline cable fly every setting to flat/arm blaster curl
Incline cable fly every setting to flat/DB across the body curl

Back and legs tomorrow.
Old 04-19-2021, 07:45 AM   #190
150class
Pope & Young

Missed 4/5 days last week.... Felt like crap but still no excuse

Yesterday was chest

This am was Arms

Legs tomorrow
Old 04-19-2021, 08:29 AM   #191
SabreKiller
Pope & Young

Friday was a kick butt giant set day. I got legs, back and chest done. I don't even remember what I did but i do remember strip sets on landmines and leg press. It was awesome.

Today was chest and bicep supersets.

Incline DB chest press every setting to flat/preacher curl/incline leg raise
Bench press strip sets/hammer curl after every strip
Seated wide grip chest press strip set/drag curl
Seated wide grp chest press strip set/curl bar with handles
Inverse grip bench press on smith/overhead cable curl

Back and legs tomorrow.
Old 04-19-2021, 11:11 AM   #192
rtp
Pope & Young

I made it to the gym 6 of 7 days last week. We had our granddaughter Saturday until today so that was a workout in itself, lol. Once her mom picks her up today, I'll head in for triceps, back and calves.

On another note, last week my wife decided to join me after being out of the gym for 2+ years. It was a struggle for her but she isnt backing down. Im glad to have her back at it.
Old 04-19-2021, 11:45 AM   #193
ElkTipper
Four Point

Hunt In: San Saba, Oklahoma, New Mexico

Hey fellas, just reading the thread after blowing by it for years..
Have yall ever tried Orange Theory (OTF)?
3 years ago i had an episode on the mountain.. It was due to me being out of shape. Thought i was gonna die on that mountain. Needless to say, if i ever wanted to elk hunt again, i need to be in shape..I joined OTF a few months after that trip. I have been after OTF 4/5 days a week since and its been a game changer. Best shape i have ever been in even when playing college ball 15 years ago. If you are looking for a good workout day in/out i would highly recommend trying a OTF. If your looking to get "swole" its not the gym for you of course because of the HIIT training..
ElkTipper is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-19-2021, 02:11 PM   #194
SabreKiller
Pope & Young

Quote:
I made it to the gym 6 of 7 days last week. We had our granddaughter Saturday until today so that was a workout in itself, lol. Once her mom picks her up today, I'll head in for triceps, back and calves.

On another note, last week my wife decided to join me after being out of the gym for 2+ years. It was a struggle for her but she isnt backing down. Im glad to have her back at it.
Awesome! It's great to have Mr. rtp in there with you. My wife hits the box every morning and works out with the crossfit folk. When she's not in the box she's in the gym with me working out.
Old 04-19-2021, 03:20 PM   #195
rtp
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElkTipper View Post
3 years ago i had an episode on the mountain.. It was due to me being out of shape. Thought i was gonna die on that mountain. Needless to say, if i ever wanted to elk hunt again, i need to be in shape..I joined OTF a few months after that trip. I have been after OTF 4/5 days a week since and its been a game changer. Best shape i have ever been in even when playing college ball 15 years ago. If you are looking for a good workout day in/out i would highly recommend trying a OTF. If your looking to get "swole" its not the gym for you of course because of the HIIT training..
Im familiar with it and the concept is tried and true. For overall fitness there probably isnt anything better.
Old 04-20-2021, 08:14 AM   #196
SabreKiller
Pope & Young

A good way to start the day...strip sets for back and legs. This is probably the heaviest and most stress I've put on my legs since my hip replacement. Rigor mortis is already setting in!

3 sets each:

Landmines/Sled leg press/leg raises
Overhead cable pull/Leg extension/ab roller
Bodyweight pullups/prone leg curl/incline situp
Old 04-20-2021, 08:49 AM   #197
150class
Pope & Young

Back and cardio this morning!
Old 04-20-2021, 11:29 AM   #198
Mbbriggs05
Six Point

Hunt In: Orange, Newton, Sabine

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElkTipper View Post
I haven't worked out in close to 4 years. I'm headed to CO for backcountry elk in September and have heard the horror stories of issues on the mountain. I started a blended strength/HIIT gym 3 weeks ago to make sure I can enjoy the hunt and not fall victim to the MTN.
Mbbriggs05 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-21-2021, 12:25 PM   #199
ElkTipper
Four Point

Hunt In: San Saba, Oklahoma, New Mexico

good call! The mountain and high altitude is no joke.
I just finished the book "cant hurt me" by David Goggins.
if you want to feel like a P**** just read that..
it has changed my attitude every time hitting the gym!
Stay at it!
ElkTipper is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-21-2021, 12:54 PM   #200
SabreKiller
Pope & Young

I skipped today, but wish I had gone.