Is the meat spoiled?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Is the meat spoiled?

Have had deer in a cooler with ice. Deained daily since last sunday. Meat temp is 34 to 33 degrees with temp probe. As I took it out the cooler it doesn't have a full rotten smell but does smell a little off. Is this meat bad?

Just 5 days? Should be plenty fine. I’ve left it 8 days before.
    I leave the drain open though and prop up the other end so no water sits in the bottom.

Comment

I had 2 deer in a cooler for a week and a half and they were just fine. With meat temp in the 30s I can’t imagine how it would go bad

Comment

Its fine

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Comment

So what's the weird smell? Lol

Comment

Shouldn’t be at least from temperature was it cleaned well prior to being put in the cooler was it gut shot or how long after it was shot was it put in the cooler I guess what I am asking is could it have spoiled prior to being put in the cooler

Comment

Originally posted by justindfw View Post
              So what's the weird smell? Lol
              Did you pop guys and get on meat?

Comment

No gut shots. Smelled like deer meat just that gamey meat smell when I put it on ice. The smell now is just different. Doesn't make you gag or anything

Comment

Its good
                  I had my mule deer in the cooler for over a week

Comment

i’ve noticed a difference in the smell of venison after aging for 5 plus days
                    it’s not bad
                    just smells a bit different.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Might as well ask Helen Keller or Ray Charles.

Hard to say with out looking and smelling. Post up a pick, if your still not sure.. have a buddy stop by and take a look.

Smart to be safe. Good luck

Comment

The smell is from from the bones or marrow, I leave my on ice for up to 10 days and sometimes the bones will start to smell,doesn't hurt the meat one bit..

Comment

Should be fine. I usual leave mine 3-5 days quartered and packed in ice. With the drain plug open and other end propped on a couple of 2x4’s . If your taking it to a processor they can tell you for sure.

Comment

Still good. Mine sit on ice for 14 days before I debone. Meat taste great.

Comment

Cook up a batch tonite.
                              If you don't have the runs tomorrow, I'd say you're good to go!!!

Comment

Working...
                              X