Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Grim Reaper’s are so deadly they kill even when they don’t deploy!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Grim Reaper’s are so deadly they kill even when they don’t deploy!

Had a big heavy horned 6 come in this evening to some hand corn this evening. We have been trying to get him since rifle opened, but the broom weed is so thick a deer can disappear standing up. This guy has been a six since his 1st set of horns, we’ve been watching him for 4 years now, and he just gets mass and width.

So he finally turns away and I get to full draw with him at less than 15 yards from my freshly made brush blind. I have to hold a minute for him to clear his vitals of a twig from the aforementioned brush blind. He opens and I let it rip!

I can see good placement and he give a big mule kick and turns and runs. My 1st thought was, hmm that arrow didn’t penetrate much. I back out and head to the truck to swap my bow for rifle. Light is getting dim and I’m not expecting to have a great blood trail based on the amount of arrow I saw sticking out of the entry side.

But to my surprise there was a decent trail 10 or so yards from impact. I follow for 30 yards and find my arrow, head closed laying on the ground. Blood trail thins almost immediately. Looking at the arrow I got about 5 maybe 6 inches of penetration. My heart sank. The only glimmer of hope I had was I had heard the distinct sound of a deer crashing as he ran off behind the live oak mot.

I pushed forward connecting the few bloody dots I could find. It was dark now, and I had lost the trail 75-85 yards in. Ready to back out, and look again either with better light or in the morning, I shine my dim mini mag light to my left. I’ll be ****ed if I wasn’t nearly standing on top of him with a blood entrance wound bubbling red frothy blood.

Sometimes it’s better to be lucky than good!

Click image for larger version

Name:	8098001B-7339-4F06-A7F4-EF2D42100CE3.jpeg
Views:	1
Size:	113.3 KB
ID:	25197697

Click image for larger version

Name:	4851B347-FDBC-4195-8261-602BE8BB8395.jpeg
Views:	1
Size:	180.3 KB
ID:	25197698

Howindahell did that shot placement only penetrate 6”?!

Comment

Originally posted by bearintex View Post
      Howindahell did that shot placement only penetrate 6”?!
      Mechanical didn’t open, tantamount to shooting one with a judo point.

Comment

That’s crazy awesome. Good job on recovery. Yes it’s definitely better to be lucky sometimes.
        Congratulations.

Comment

That’s why I quit shooting them. Glad you found him.

Comment

I bet it opened and closed as it backed out since there was no pass through.

Comment

Not a good endorsement of a BH IMO

Comment

They would have to close when it came back out???

Comment

Originally posted by hogslayer78 View Post
                  Originally posted by Miller View Post
                  They would have to close when it came back out???
                  They would, but the blades were locked in solid. Normally they are loose and will flop back open after delpoly.

Guess were are about to find out. About to cut him open after I answer nature’s call

Comment

Originally posted by hogslayer78 View Post

This. Shot a deer without a full pass through and found the broad head closed. You open the blades and see meat all in the grooves and hinges.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

We shoot Reapers a lot. Not uncommon to find them locked shut even after a pass thru. They state that on their website.

Congrats on the big 6 and glad you got him.

Comment

Good reason not to shoot those again.

Congrats on finding your buck.

Comment

would expect a ton more penetration with that shot placement either way. And congrats on a big 6!

Comment

It not opening would explain the poor penetration. It’s acting as a varmint head then. my dad had a wasp hammerhead do the same. I still use mechanical heads but not ones that open over the top.

Comment

Originally posted by Miller View Post
                              We shoot Reapers a lot. Not uncommon to find them locked shut even after a pass thru. They state that on their website.

Congrats on the big 6 and glad you got him.
                              This ! I’ve had the same thing happen close after they pass through

Comment

Working...
                              X