DIY Dog Food

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

DIY Dog Food

I intended this to be meatloaf. It was my first attempt at making meatloaf... And I used a crock pot. I followed the recipe for the most part. Only difference was I doubled it and used different oats than what was called for.
    3 lbs ground beef
    1 lbs venison
    3 cups salsa
    1.5 cups quick cook rolled oats (I used steel cut oats that I pulsed in the ninja)
    1 cup ketchup

Mix that stuff all up and put it in the crock pot 10 hours on low. I did about 11.5 hours since the recipe above was double.

What came out was still kinda liquid. You can't cut it, it needs to be spooned onto your plate, or in this case, the dog bowl. What I made looks like, smells like, tastes like and even feels like the wet dog food I use to give my German Shepard named Schultz.

I am still eating it but I smother it in JR Okie Smokie's Hot bbq sauce. This makes it ok.
    Last edited by ctom87; 11-09-2019, 08:17 PM.

I'm guessing it was either your salsa or fat content of ground beef.
    I'd eat it though

Comment

Originally posted by ctom87 View Post
      I intended this to be meatloaf. It was my first attempt at making meatloaf... And I used a crock pot. I followed the recipe for the most part. Only difference was I doubled it and used different oats than what was called for.
      3 lbs ground beef
      1 lbs venison
      3 cups salsa
      1.5 cups quick cook rolled oats (I used steel cut oats that I pulsed in the ninja)
      1 cup ketchup

Mix that stuff all up and put it in the crock pot 10 hours on low. I did about 11.5 hours since the recipe above was double.

What came out was still kinda liquid. You can't cut it, it needs to be spooned onto your plate, or in this case, the dog bowl. What I made looks like, smells like, tastes like and even feels like the wet dog food I use to give my German Shepard named Schultz.

I am still eating it but I smother it in JR Okie Smokie's Hot bbq sauce. This makes it ok.
      you need a wife!

Comment

Originally posted by stickerpatch59 View Post
        you need a wife!
        She is laid up 38 weeks pregnant

Comment

That sounds nastier than a snake farm. Pretty much is.

Comment

I think you usually do meat loaf in the oven. From the way you described it smelling and having the consistency of wet dog food, I imagine it’s going to come out real rough. Meat loaf doesn’t need to take 10 hours.

Comment

That sounds like the worst meatloaf recipe ever. And then crock it for 11.5 hours? Yea, I’d say you made dog food. Lol

Comment

Originally posted by jsctx84 View Post
                I think you usually do meat loaf in the oven. From the way you described it smelling and having the consistency of wet dog food, I imagine it’s going to come out real rough. Meat loaf doesn’t need to take 10 hours.
                For what it is worth, it came from a crock pot recipe boom my wife had. Haha.

Comment

Too much liquid in the salsa

What fat percentage was your HB meat....I'm betting your HB meat contributed heavy to that liquid and in a crock pot it does not burn off like open cooking in an oven.

Comment

Originally posted by Smart View Post
                    Too much liquid in the salsa

What fat percentage was your HB meat....I'm betting your HB meat contributed heavy to that liquid and in a crock pot it does not burn off like open cooking in an oven.
                    Probably 72/28. It was some stuff we had left over in the freezer.

Comment

BBQ sauce and a blender.....Sloppy Joes!

Comment

salsa, ketchup, oatmeal, and meat? sounds delicious!
                        if you're a dog maybe.

Comment

Try this recipe next time..
                          [ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TPmOCH7k7jA&t="]How to Cook Whitetail Deer | Homemade Venison Meatloaf - YouTube[/ame]

Comment

A crockpot!?
                            Oven man........oven

Comment

Originally posted by flywise View Post
                              A crockpot!?
                              Oven man........oven
                              smoker!!

Comment

Working...
                              X