Wanting to build/buy a varmint rifle

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wanting to build/buy a varmint rifle

Really would like an AR platform and am considering the CMMG .22 Nosler with a 24" barrel as opposed to the 18"

But also considering a bolt gun in .22-250

What can this side of the ranch do to talk me into or out of 1 or the other

I hunt in super thick brush mostly senderos it’s usually 1 shot and they gonenfor me. I built a 22 creedmoor this summer for this years predator. I’ve had a 22-250, 204 and 220 swift in seasons past. I am very very content with the performance of this gun. No runners and everything is drt. I’ve lost one coyote this year but I blew her leg off. So with that said. If thick brush hunting a Ar isn’t necessary and a bolt gun is fine. And the reason I brought up the 22 cm was because shooting the 22 nosler you’re looking at a fast twist 22.

Comment

Originally posted by hoyt21 View Post
      I hunt in super thick brush mostly senderos it’s usually 1 shot and they gonenfor me. I built a 22 creedmoor this summer for this years predator. I’ve had a 22-250, 204 and 220 swift in seasons past. I am very very content with the performance of this gun. No runners and everything is drt. I’ve lost one coyote this year but I blew her leg off. So with that said. If thick brush hunting a Ar isn’t necessary and a bolt gun is fine. And the reason I brought up the 22 cm was because shooting the 22 nosler you’re looking at a fast twist 22.
      Thanks for the input. I may look at that one as well. I dont hunt the heavy brush of south texas. I hunt in the Lampasas and Llano area so I guess just typical hill country brush

Comment

22-250 bolt gun, so many varieties of ammo available for different types of game. (You dont say what your target animal is.) I dont think I would get a heavy barreled rifle, something more of a sporter would be better dragging around in the brush and packing.

Comment

Originally posted by Radar View Post
          22-250 bolt gun, so many varieties of ammo available for different types of game. (You dont say what your target animal is.) I dont think I would get a heavy barreled rifle, something more of a sporter would be better dragging around in the brush and packing.
          It will be an all around varmint and predator rifle. Anything from coons, jackrabbit and occasional badger to coytes. Bobcats and hogs

Comment

I am actually thinking of taking my thermal off of my AR and putting it on a stainless bolt gun in 223 caliber. Beretta has a nice little all weather 223 stainless rifle.

I own 5 or 6 AR platform rifles, but I still like the fit and feel of a bolt gun. I think its cause I am old and set in my ways

Comment

Originally posted by Thwackdaddy View Post
              It will be an all around varmint and predator rifle. Anything from coons, jackrabbit and occasional badger to coytes. Bobcats and hogs
              I would not over look the boring .223/5.56 in the AR platform. Unless you are shooting great distances that round will perform well. Ammo is cheap and very available. Over the recent years AR's have a huge after market following. You could simply change out uppers to a 6.8spc or 6.5 Grendel and have a nice light recoiling deer round for another $3-400.

Comment

Originally posted by sendit View Post
                I would not over look the boring .223/5.56 in the AR platform. Unless you are shooting great distances that round will perform well. Ammo is cheap and very available. Over the recent years AR's have a huge after market following. You could simply change out uppers to a 6.8spc or 6.5 Grendel and have a nice light recoiling deer round for another $3-400.
                That's precisely why I am considering the AR platform.....the versatility and ease of having a brand new caliber without having to buy a complete new rifle

Comment

22 nosler has issues if reloading ammo. Fyi.

I run a 22-250AI bolt gun for varmints

14 twist = 52 gr bergers FB varmint
                  12 twist = 64 gr berger FB varmint

These bullets enter and explode, never had anything take a step with them after shot.

Comment

I jumped on the 224 Valkyrie wagon. I really like it so far. Hopefully gonna get to spill blood with in a week or 2. Got coyote hunt coming up at a friends ranch.

Comment

Originally posted by SNIPER3388 View Post
                      22 nosler has issues if reloading ammo. Fyi.

I run a 22-250AI bolt gun for varmints

14 twist = 52 gr bergers FB varmint
                      12 twist = 64 gr berger FB varmint

These bullets enter and explode, never had anything take a step with them after shot.
                      I dont reload so it would be factory nosler 55gr ballistic tip ammo if that's the way I end up going
                      Last edited by K. Lane; 02-21-2019, 07:16 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Thwackdaddy View Post
                        I dont reload so it would be factory nosler 55gr ballistic rop ammo if that's the way I end up going
                        I think you should get the AR in .223 Rem, get an extra upper in 6.5 Grendel and you got your bases covered for Whitetail down to rabbits.

I do hunt pigs with a 223 AR because ammo is cheap and I aint searching for empty brass in the dark. I reload but not for my 223 AR, it would be a waste of money for me.

Comment

Depends how far you'll be shooting. I like the 22-250 in open country where I might have to shoot out to 400 yards. But for me a .223 is about all I've ever needed. Especially for called in coyotes. The name of the game is to get them close so I haven't noticed deader coyotes with the 22-250 than I have with the .223. The price of ammo is the only difference I've noticed.

But then again I'm worried about saving fur too. The 22-250 is a little harder on pelts. It has more get up and go but if you hit them in the kill zone the .223 drops them just as quick without the extra work of sewing up fur with a hole in it.
                          Last edited by okrattler; 02-21-2019, 10:32 PM.

Comment

I do a little bit of predator hunting,my main concern would be the barrel length 24" is alittle long have you considered a20" barrel ?
                            We use a bunch of different guns for distance,animal and weather are some things to consider.

Comment

I would go with ANY caliber mentioned above here before the 22 Nosler ... Have yet to hear good things about the round. Finicky isn't the half of it.

If you really want a semi auto I think 223 or ideally 204... 204 is bar none the most natural tack driving varmint killing round I've ever shot. Pushing 4k fps in the light stuff... to 400 it is a dang Lazer beam...
                              223 is the KISS plan and nothing wrong with it.

If I could talk you into a bolt gun I would say 204 or 22 Creedmore

24 inch barrel is perfect I think, get at least a sendaro contour
                              Last edited by catslayer; 02-22-2019, 08:14 AM.

Comment

Working...
                              X