Mirrorless???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Mirrorless???

I'm new to photography and currently only have a Cannon Powershot SX60HS digital. It takes pretty good photos, but being digital the zoom is slower and focusing can be a hassle. I have been looking at other cameras to add and I ran across the Sony a6000 mirrorless package for like 650.00. I have used DLSR cameras before and I just dont like their size for carrying around. Anybody using a mirroless camera, or even this Sony a6000?

I bought a Nikon D800 right when mirrorless was getting big. The biggest thing to look at when choosing any decent camera is making sure it has the ability to shoot in RAW. Most point and clicks only give you a jpeg which is an already condensed file. If you have software that can read RAW like Aperture for Mac or Adobe Lightroom for PC and a camera that gives you RAW files, you'll be well ahead of most. Trey Ratcliff (https://www.stuckincustoms.com/) runs a mirrorless A7 and he's making his living using it.

Comment

Run Sony mirrorless cams here.
      A7iii, A7riii, and Sony a6000

Look at the a6300 also.

Both are small and compact and fast

Comment

Originally posted by blaqkpanda View Post
        I bought a Nikon D800 right when mirrorless was getting big. The biggest thing to look at when choosing any decent camera is making sure it has the ability to shoot in RAW. Most point and clicks only give you a jpeg which is an already condensed file. If you have software that can read RAW like Aperture for Mac or Adobe Lightroom for PC and a camera that gives you RAW files, you'll be well ahead of most. Trey Ratcliff (https://www.stuckincustoms.com/) runs a mirrorless A7 and he's making his living using it.
        Thanks, my Canon Powershot shoots in RAW. I just want something with a faster focus as most of my photos are of my kid who is always moving.

Comment

Originally posted by 150class View Post
          Run Sony mirrorless cams here.
          A7iii, A7riii, and Sony a6000

Look at the a6300 also.

Both are small and compact and fast

I second all of this [emoji3516]
          If budget is a concern the a6000 with a good lens is still pretty solid

Comment

I switched to mirrorless with my Sony A7sii a couple of years ago. I was worried I might have problems with the electronic viewfinder, but I like it. I also like the smaller form factor and the ability to go completely silent with shutter.

What is included with the A6500 package. You camera is only as good as the lenses you pair with it, so keep in mind the additional (often significant) cost of glass.
            My Flickr Photos

Comment

My only downside would be the cost of good glass. Mirrorless is still a newer technoclogy so not as many options for good lenses. There's a lot more options for moderately priced, good lenses for DSLR bodies.

Comment

The A6000 is a great camera, if you only shoot stills also look into a good condition used Fuji XT1 or XT2, the XT1 is a legitimate professional body and since it's 3 generations old can be found for well under $500 and its a killer camera.

I've owned both and the XT1 has a way better EVF and build quality than the A6000 IMO. Plus its weather sealed.

Comment

Originally posted by Stickslinger92 View Post
                  My only downside would be the cost of good glass. Mirrorless is still a newer technoclogy so not as many options for good lenses. There's a lot more options for moderately priced, good lenses for DSLR bodies.
                  I'm also looking at the Cannon M100 which has an adapter to use EF lenses from DSLR cameras so you are not limited to mirrorless only lens.

Comment

Originally posted by canny View Post
                    I'm also looking at the Cannon M100 which has an adapter to use EF lenses from DSLR cameras so you are not limited to mirrorless only lens.
                    Yeah Sony has that as well. The main one people use is the Sigma MC-11 its what I have to fit a canon ef lens I have to the Sony. Nothing is going to be as good as native glass, but the EF lens does pretty well on my Sony with the adapter. IMO Sony is ahead of Canon in the Mirrorless game for sure.

Comment

Originally posted by Jspradley View Post
                      The A6000 is a great camera, if you only shoot stills also look into a good condition used Fuji XT1 or XT2, the XT1 is a legitimate professional body and since it's 3 generations old can be found for well under $500 and its a killer camera.

I've owned both and the XT1 has a way better EVF and build quality than the A6000 IMO. Plus its weather sealed.
                      So you would go with the Fuji XT1 over the A6000?

OP how are you leaning now? I am looking at the Sony's just haven't pulled the trigger yet.

Comment

Originally posted by txhunter90 View Post

OP how are you leaning now? I am looking at the Sony's just haven't pulled the trigger yet.
                        The A6000 is a killer little camera but IMO the XT1 is a "better" camera in every way except for the lower resolution sensor (16 MP with the XT1 vs 24MP with the A6000 not that that really matters...) it is a bit bulkier, though still a compact camera and Fuji glass is more expensive though so there is that concern.

Comment

I switched to mirrorless (Sony) as well this past late spring. Got tired of hauling the big white around and needed to lighten the load. I paid attention to what Michael was doing and I have a couple other acquaintances shooting Sony as well. I had bought my wife an A7 early in 2017 for her real estate business and was intrigued by it.

I'm shooting an a7RIII and a bridge RX10-IV. I'm currently in negotiation on Greentoe on an a6500 as well. If I end up with it I will sell my remaining Canon equipment.

Many of the newer photos this year are from mirrorless Sonys. https://billmorris.smugmug.com/Beaut...eesandintheair

Shot this yesterday on the Katy Prairie.

Red-tailed hawk

From Big Bend a few weeks ago.

Great horned owl

Greater roadrunner

On 385 between Marathon and Ft. Stockton with the RX10

Ferruginous hawk

Comment

Originally posted by txhunter90 View Post

I’m still leaning towards the Sony. Sigma makes an adapter that will allow use of Canon EF lenses, but that’s not my primary concern.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by canny View Post
                              I’m still leaning towards the Sony. Sigma makes an adapter that will allow use of Canon EF lenses, but that’s not my primary concern.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                              This is with the Sigma MC-11 E mount to Canon EF adapter on the A7RIII and a Sigma 150-600 C Canon mount lens. The MC-11 works very well with Canon lenses also. If I make a deal on the A6500 I may be looking to sell my very gently used copy if you might be interested.

Comment

Working...
                              X