Who Here Thinks TPWD Should be Required to Back up Their Claims

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Who Here Thinks TPWD Should be Required to Back up Their Claims

With Scientific data? Sometimes the Commission makes decisions that have no data backing the claims they're making. Just one example is the way they keep changing gator gar regs despite the fact that all the studies they've done contradict their claims. I'm sure there are other examples. Click the link to tell the Sunset Commission you believe that the commission should be required to show actual data before making reg changes.

Also, post here with other examples so that we can use them in our responses.

I agree, we are going to be overrun by old less than 13" bucks pretty soon with all the antler restriction nonsense...

Comment

Completely agree....becoming bizarre when it comes to game regs!!![emoji37]

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Comment

Well the 13" rule seems to have been proven to be pretty blasted good. I have not seen any scientific study to say otherwise. I don't know anything about the gator stuff but wish they would revise their stance on spikes since nearly every study in the last 20+ years have shown it to be a mistake more than not.

-john

Comment

13” rule has been proven to be a success in the counties it was implemented.

I am not sure a 20 year old study should be discounted though.

Comment

Originally posted by TX_Hoghunter View Post
            Well the 13" rule seems to have been proven to be pretty blasted good. I have not seen any scientific study to say otherwise. I don't know anything about the gator stuff but wish they would revise their stance on spikes since nearly every study in the last 20+ years have shown it to be a mistake more than not.

-john
            I’m with this, it’s absurd to shoot yearling bucks IMO.

Comment

won't do any good. data can be twisted to support whatever there agenda is.

i.e.

If the 13"rule is about age structure....how old is a 13" deer?

What is the CATASTROPHIC age structure problem that needs a gov't regulation to fix?
              (other than catering to hunters, that complain about neighbors shooting young deer)

Since the 13"rule is a success, can we now stop it? How is that success measured?
              How was the herd unhealthy just cuz bucks didn't get to 4, 5, 6 yrs old. It is/was a healthy even expanding herd with the 1,2,3, yr olds during the breeding and propagating the species.

They will do as they please for those that scream the loudest regardless of the science.
              But carry on....

Comment

Originally posted by Drycreek3189 View Post
                I’m with this, it’s absurd to shoot yearling bucks IMO.
                Though I agree with you both, what about youth hunters. If every time they hunt, they can’t kill anything, they won’t be hunting too long.

Comment

Originally posted by Big Ace View Post
                  Though I agree with you both, what about youth hunters. If every time they hunt, they can’t kill anything, they won’t be hunting too long.
                  It's ok to shoot spikes. It's ok to shoot any deer you wish.

If I hunted per TBH'ers posts lets see..

I could not shoot spikes (unless the rare 3-4+ yo spike came out)
                  I could not shoot high rack non typical because they will score the highest if you give them a few more years.
                  I could not shoot main frame 8's or 10's because they must be left to do the breeding.
                  I could not shoot any 1-4 yo buck because they will become the nice main frame 8 or 10 pointer

I should not shoot does before the rut to keep the bucks around
                  I should not shoot does after the rut because they are carrying a baby.

Did I miss anything?

Comment

I don't disagree with the gar rules. Thats wasteful killing of a native species. Most people kill, photograph, and trash it. Its not a invasive species like a pig or carp.

Comment

I think TPWD are trying to run their public hunts like a deer hunting club, with all their BS antler restrictions. I don't buy their science or so called stats. Last year I hunted a WMA where the antler restriction was either 7 inches or 13 depending on the hunt type. This year I read that same WMA went from 13 to 14 inch spread. Makes no sense, and I really doubt there is any science to this change, other than the Park managers are running these parks like a Pvt game reserve and make up these stupid rules, and only competing to see who has the biggest deer at their park.

Comment

Originally posted by DedDuk View Post
                        I don't disagree with the gar rules. Thats wasteful killing of a native species. Most people kill, photograph, and trash it. Its not a invasive species like a pig or carp.
                        This could easily be fixed with waste of game laws. Many have suggested that the mortality rate for line caught gator gar is similarly abysmal although there's no study to back that assertion up yet. However, it is being studied in a state that is actually interested in management rather than appeasing the commissioner's buddies.

Comment

Then subject them to wanton waste rules that we already have.

Comment

The Gator Gar law is a good example OP

Comment

There's already laws against that. This new law is unwarranted. It's an attack on the sport of bowfishing. I M O

Comment

Working...
                              X