Recommend an EASY hunt out West

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Recommend an EASY hunt out West

My dad is almost 72 and can’t get around like he once did.

We went to Wyoming back in October on a Pronghorn Hunt. Most of that was riding around and glassing from a truck. The one he shot we only had to walk about 150 yards. The shot was 287. The recovery in just walking up to it was slow in 2 very small hills and he was unsteady a couple of times just in that.

I still want to share excitement and memories with him, so.... Are there any OTC tags (or draw)for mule deer or even antelope where you guys have been that would fit this bill?

Something in lower elevations and more flatland?

I’ve been researching Coues in Arizona but some of that terrain looks iffy.

I realize this could turn into an expensive camping trip, and, that’s ok too

*** This will be with a RIFLE ***

Thanks in advance

Eastern NM mule deer could meet your requirements. There are private land tags available. PM for a reference.

Comment

Antelope, don’t get no easier.

Comment

We have some pretty easy terrain for mule deer and perhaps a cow elk hunt but you have to draw the tag. At least 1 PP or usually more for a deer hunt.
        Cow elk are random draw and some areas open in August for cow elk. A private land cow elk hunt would be my recc. for an elk hunt, some late seasons can be iffy for snow and access. Some ranches have good bull hunting but again PP are needed to draw a tag for bulls in Wyoming.
        As stated above Eastrern NM has pretty easy terrain for a deer hunt.

Comment

Pronghorn with a rifle is as easy as a hunt can get. But you could also consider a mule deer and/or elk hunt on private land on an alfalfa field somewhere too.

Comment

Get with Desert Safaris in West Texas for a mule deer hunt

Comment

If you can afford a landowner tag in eastern NM..unit 33, 32 then like mentioned..probably fit your needs. I have hunted 33 a few times and there are some great bucks in that desert and at least one bag of crap landowner. But he probably has a tr at for sale

Comment

New Mexico landowner tag for elk, food plots or over waterhole. Doesn't get any easier

Comment

Check with Lone Star Outfitters. Walt has a 4x4 electric mule/ranger. I forget the brand. But I’ve been on it and he’s driven it right up on Elk. He understands the needs of a hunter like your dad and knows how to accommodate. He has a private land place outside Trinidad Colorado at about 6000’ that he hunts.

Comment

Working...
                  X