Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Ford F150 Ecoboost 4x4? Talk me out of it.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Puggy625 View Post
    IMO, it don't matter what year it is. Sounds exactly like the same issues I had with my 07. Never again.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

It does matter. The Gen 4 trucks are leaps ahead of the previous gens.

I currently have a 2012 Ram 2500 and NONE and I do mean NONE of the issues people spout off about are an issue in mine.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

We replace turbos on the ecoboost engines
      We replace cam and lifters on the hemi’s
      We replace motor mounts on the GMs

Comment

Originally posted by BIGTERRY75 View Post
        We replace turbos on the ecoboost engines
        We replace cam and lifters on the hemi’s
        We replace motor mounts on the GMs
        So you just sayin

Comment

Originally posted by Mike D View Post
          It does matter. The Gen 4 trucks are leaps ahead of the previous gens.

I currently have a 2012 Ram 2500 and NONE and I do mean NONE of the issues people spout off about are an issue in mine.

Seriously, sounds like you get a good one. But, personal experience shows me that Dodges have had the same issues since early 2000's and still have the same problems now. The motor is strong, it's everything else around it goes to hell. For me it's was 3 transmission problems, 2 water pumps, interior tearing up, speakers blowing for no reason, electrical problems, window motors.

Comment

I bought an '18 5.0 4x4...tried the Ecoboosts...2.7 and 3.5....I didn't like the sound of the engine "whirring" so I went with the V8...plenty of power...and little less in cost. The premium they put on the Ecoboost was the no go for me...plus the engine sound...

Comment

Originally posted by WItoTX View Post
              The problem is the Hemi will tick. I've not seen one that doesn't start ticking. On top of that, while not a problem in Texas, Dodge body panels consistently rust out in 5-7 years if they travel in places that salt the roads. Comparable GM and Ford body panels won't rust at all (Apart from the GM bed) anymore due to the aluminum bodies.

Forgot about that tick. And I don’t know what all years he’s had. Like 3 different 3/4 tons and a half ton. All had issues except the old 5.9 Cummins. He blew the trans in that one but it wasn’t the trucks fault lol. The others all had issues bad enough where he kept trading them In another dodge. Finally he saw I’ve had the same old 7.3 Ford the last ten years. So he got one of those and has been happy.

Comment

Originally posted by Royal View Post
                I've always been a Chevy guy as well but will have to admit the Ecoboost get great gas milage and have tons of power for pulling. A work mate of mine has one and I have been very impressed. The interior is much larger as well. I have been warned by several mechanic buddies of mine that the Ecoboost will be a nightmare at high miles due to the turbo wearing out the engine. With all that being said I would buy one and get rid of it before it hits 100k miles.

Not trying to undermine you or disrespect you but How many peoples turbos have you heard of wearing out lately? What would make the longevity of a turbo on the eco boost engines any different that the turbos on the Diesel engines that are turbo boosted and seem to last for several hundred thousand miles.Haven’t heard of many turbo boosted engines that have turbo boosters breaking at high milage. Luv my 18 turbo eco boost 4x4

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by FireNguns View Post
                  Y’all are getting better mpg out of the ecoboosts 4x4 than I have heard. I thought they only got around 17average.
                  I have an F150 with 5.0 and average about 13.5 but have 35” tires.

They do well i have and 18 4x4 2.7 after 11,000 miles my overall mpg is 21.0

Comment

Originally posted by Puggy625 View Post
                    Seriously, sounds like you get a good one. But, personal experience shows me that Dodges have had the same issues since early 2000's and still have the same problems now. The motor is strong, it's everything else around it goes to hell. For me it's was 3 transmission problems, 2 water pumps, interior tearing up, speakers blowing for no reason, electrical problems, window motors.

Maybe I should play the lottery. I’ve owned a 76 Power Wagon, ‘83 1500 (oilfield work truck), a ‘92 Dakota, a ‘96 1500 and now a 2012 2500.

The only one of those vehicles I had any issues with was the ‘76 Power Wagon. It had a serious overcharging issue.

Other than that I’ve had zero non-maintenance/wear related issues including excessive rattles, bumps knocks, etc.

The current interiors on the Ram trucks blow away anything else currently on the market. Time will tell how well they hold up.

Comment

I have a 2011 3.5L 4x4 with 153,000. Bought it new and love it averages 17 mpg and has plenty of power.

Comment

I have a ‘15 F150 Platinum 4x4 Eco boost. No issues and has been great.
                        My first 4x4 everyday driver.
                        Drives really well, better than my ‘15 GMC SLT 2WD. Tons of power.
                        I have a heavy foot and get 15 city/17 hwy.
                        If I set cruise at speed limit I get 19-21.

Comment

Originally posted by CSanders View Post
                          The most I’ve towed with my eco was my mule pro and a 5x7 box blind on an 18 foot trailer together. The truck pulled the load well but the resistance from the wind will really pull the truck around on the road. Another thing was stopping power.. the trailer has brakes and it still was a little sketchy when needing to slow down quickly. If I towed anything more I would go back to a f250. I had one prior to the f150 and obviously it towed much better. With the price of new f150’s I don’t see myself getting another one over a 250, even if I don’t tow much.
                          It sounds like this rig wasn't setup for enough tongue weight. Especially if you had the box blind up front.

OP. With a properly setup trailer I tow a John Deere 4520 with FEL, enclosed hvac cab and bush hog mower on a 20' pipe top utility trailer to MO occasionally, most recently in May, went to Tucson in July to buy and tow home a 1986 Stepside F150 4x4, went to ME and back in August with a Rockwood 30 foot travel trailer. Trailer setup is critical. It is dangerous to improperly load even a HD truck if you don't get the tongue weight, trailer level, and other facets of trailer setup wrong.

Comment

Originally posted by Tex1986 View Post
                            I’ve been researching this truck heavily myself. From what I’ve researched they seem to be very solid trucks. I would prefer the max tow package and 3.73 rear end.
                            I would be very interested in hearing the weight of loads people are hauling. We just bought a 30’ bumper pull travel trailer with a 6,200 lb dry weight and 920 lb tongue weight. I’m afraid our trailer is a little to much for this truck. I don’t want to be white knuckled when I pull. Not to derail the op but I would like to hear comments.

I hit upon this in my previous post but saw your question after I posted. The weight of your trailer isn't the issue, it will be the wind resistance/signature. We towed our 30 footer to Bar Harbor, Maine and back fine. It doesn't tow quite as well as the tractor even though it is 6,000# compared to 9,500# for the tractor. We were able to go 65-70 most places and times, if curvy, or windy we slowed down to 60 occasionally.

Proper trailer setup with a quality weight distribution hitch with sway control is critical. We see a lot of people towing non level trailers, trailer with improperly setup weight distribution, and either no sway control or not setup right all the time. We have this hitch, and really like it.

Comment

Yeah man, those Dodges suck. I have one that is falling apart right now. In the last year we have had to replace a U-joint and one door latch quit working, can't open one door. Its going to hell in a hand basket. Course I have had it since 2004 and it has **** near 300k miles on it. Man I tell you, that was a horrible purchase.

Comment

FORD
                                Twin Turbos
                                That’s what talked me out of it!

Comment

Working...
                                X