No announcement yet.

Eating Wild Rabbits

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Browned in a gravy with Onions & bell peppers at 'anytime' of the year..................!! Black eye peas with tasso for one side and smothered potatoes. You will be shooting $30 arrows & broadhead combos at em once you eat them cooked correctly

Jackrabbits not included in the above menu.

Comment

I made jackrabbit stew and jackrabbit chili in the crock pot. Not the best, but not the worst.

Comment

Originally posted by N.DaWoods View Post
        must just be your cookin
        Maybe but we cook squirrels the same way and they turn out pretty good.

Comment

This is a thread I did on jackrabbits. Turned out to be some great dumplings. Swamp/Cottontails I love to fry. Also pressure cooked rabbit served over rice and under gravy is awesome.

Comment

An epidemiologist explained on The Meateater podcast that you wait until after the freeze because of the disease that ticks (I believe) carry. Check out episode 191 - Sicker Than Hell for clarification.

I’ve only had rabbit fried, but **** it was tasty. Not sure what type of rabbit it was though.

Comment

Originally posted by Jspradley View Post
              Does a deer have a fluffy lil tail and hoppy lil legs and big ol ears?!?!??!?!
              A jackalope does.

Comment

I usually just grill them, sometimes they turn out a little chewy. Generally pretty good though.

Comment

When I was a kid, when we'd be rabbit hunting, the grown ups would cut the head off the rabbit and feed it to the dogs immediately, then gut it and look at the liver... If it was spotted, they'd hang it in a tree and not let the dogs eat it. If it was clear, they'd let the dogs have the heart/liver/lungs, but not the guts... guts always seemed to be squirming around with tape worms... I heard the tick thing too and that rabbits would have "rabbit fever" from the ticks and not good to eat until it cooled off... We always joked about starting rabbit season in Argust...

Comment

Eating big jacks

Originally posted by TB80 View Post
                    Anyone ever eaten jacks?
                    Yes I have and they are great.

Comment

Cottontail only for me after the 1st freeze.

Comment

Food podcast 3 weeks ago on Meateater. Explained rabbits, bears etc. Why to wait any what temp to cook.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Comment

Rabbits are great eating but those bot things are nasty little critters!

Comment

Originally posted by billfromtx View Post
                            Always heard only eat rabbit during months that have an “R” in them...I’ve eat rabbits in every month as long as the meat was clean after skinning.
                            X2

Comment

I thought the R month and First Freeze was debunked long ago. Just downloaded the Meateater Podcast to see what's changed

Comment

Originally posted by TxAg View Post
                                I thought the R month and First Freeze was debunked long ago. Just downloaded the Meateater Podcast to see what's changed
                                I grew up shooting rabbits. A lot of rabbits. Wolves are for real and they will turn you off from eating rabbit. Nasty. Squirrels get them also.

Sent from my SM-J737A using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                                X