2 eggs beaten
    1 cup milk
    1/2 tsp baking soda
    3/4 tsp salt
    1 (15 oz) can whole kernel corn drained
    1/4 cup oil for cornbread
    Directions
    Step 1
    In a medium pan add a small amount of oil cook the meat about 10 to 15 minutes until brown. Drain and set aside.

Step 2
    In a large mixing bowl, combine the cornmeal, baking soda, and salt. Add eggs and milk and stir until blended. Add the oil and stir well. Then add the drained corn and peppers.

Step 3
    Grease a 9x9 casserole dish. Layer 1/2 of the cornmeal mixture on the bottom of the dish, then the browned ground meat, the uncooked onion, followed by the cheese,and top with the remaining cornmeal mixture.

Step 4
    Bake at 425 degrees 20 minutes until brown or until toothpick comes out clean.

Step 5
    Method 2 - (Picture version) Grease a 9x9 casserole dish. Layer 1/2 of the cornmeal mixture on the bottom of the dish, then the browned ground meat, the uncooked onion, and top with the remaining cornmeal mixture. Bake at 425 degrees 20 minutes until brown or until toothpick comes out clean. Remove from oven and immediately top with the cheddar cheese, place back in oven to finish melting the cheese.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

That looks really good!

Comment

thanks for sharing

Comment

Tagged

Comment

Haven't had this in years. My mother used to make it. I know what is for dinner tomorrow now.

Comment

So this happened tonite...

I did tweak the recipe a little. Added garlic and a package of zesty ranch to the hamburger and a can of rotel as well. Also if you don’t want to make cornbread two packs of HEB Mexican cornbread work in a pinch. Just mix one for the bottom layer and one for the top.

Also used a deep casserole pan just in case of it rising a lot. It didn’t rise as high as I thought but definitely was just right.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Cooked this recipe last night. Was a big hit for my wife and I. Word of caution, wash hands after dicing jalapenos. Touch your eye and it might just bring you to your knees.

Comment

Working...
              X