Career change on the horizon

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Career change on the horizon

For the past 6 months, I have been contemplating entering the fire academy. After a ton of prayer, the wife and I decided that it was time to follow what i feel called to do. I’m testing with a local department in June, but am also enrolled in Collin college academy privately to obtain my certs on my own if I’m not hired this time locally.

The entrance exam is my biggest fear, specifically the math. I’ve been studying the Norman Hall prep book, and taking all the practice exams I can find. Physically, I’m ready to test now but will continue to train up until its time to take the department test.

I would appreciate any prayers or suggestions, I’m definitely excited and feel like I’ve made the right choice to pursue this career, but also nervous at all of the steps it takes to get hired on.

Good for you, bud. Good luck!

Comment

Praying for success for you and your family. Thanks to you and others for answering the call. Praying All this through our mighty Lord and Savior, Jesus Christ. Amen

Comment

Congrats, best career you can have. If you need any assistance or advise hit me up. I have been in the service for 29 years.

Comment

I’ve been with a department for almost a year and have gone through a very strenuous probationary period. If you have any questions about what that’s like or how to handle some of it, feel free to shoot me a pm. I’d be glad to share any advise I can! Good luck brotha!

Comment

Good luck man. Some times it takes a leap of faith to get to where you want to be. Prayers up.

Comment

Good luck and prayers sent up!

Just out of curiosity since I must be overlooking something...why would there be math on a firefighters exam?

Comment

Most entrance exams are general knowledge type tests.

Originally posted by Cantcatch5 View Post

Just out of curiosity since I must be overlooking something...why would there be math on a firefighters exam?

Comment

Good Luck & prayers!

Comment

Good luck! Weren't you in law enforcement? I ask because I have been contemplating the exact same thing (changing from blue line to red line).. pm me if more comfortable.

Comment

Originally posted by Cantcatch5 View Post

Math is a skill set used everyday in the fire service. From drug dosage calculations, to friction loss formulas and fire flow formulas.

Comment

Originally posted by Fajkus7 View Post
                        I’ve been with a department for almost a year and have gone through a very strenuous probationary period. If you have any questions about what that’s like or how to handle some of it, feel free to shoot me a pm. I’d be glad to share any advise I can! Good luck brotha!
                        I'll keep that in mind! My focus right now is on the hiring/entrance side, so I wouldn't even know what questions to ask about the on-duty stage.

Originally posted by hully1029 View Post
                        Good luck! Weren't you in law enforcement? I ask because I have been contemplating the exact same thing (changing from blue line to red line).. pm me if more comfortable.
                        No sir, I do private security but never LEO.

Originally posted by capt341 View Post
                        Congrats, best career you can have. If you need any assistance or advise hit me up. I have been in the service for 29 years.
                        Just start spewing knowledge at the cyclic rate, I doubt you'll say anything that I already knew LOL.

Comment

Originally posted by samson33 View Post
                          Math is a skill set used everyday in the fire service. From drug dosage calculations, to friction loss formulas and fire flow formulas.
                          That does sound pretty awesome and there's some truth there.... but it's used a lot more to keep score on the ping pong table!

Comment

Sounds interesting. Best of luck

Comment

Originally posted by hully1029 View Post
                              Many opportunities being dual licensed!

Comment

Working...
                              X