Placing the arrow on the bull's eye

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Placing the arrow on the bull's eye

Target panic? possibly. I have no problem bringing bow back to full draw and holding it. That's not a problem at all. It is getting my mind to allow me to place the arrow on the target and release when I am ready. I am usually in the process of placing the arrow on the target and right before it gets there I want to release it. I hit where I want many times but it frustrates me that I can not place the arrow on the target and take the time to release. I've tried a clicker but it does not help me with this. One thing that does help is counting to 3 before I release.

Any of you have this problem and what did you do to help this?
    I'm thinking about purchasing Joel Turners class if it does not improve.

I wouldn't do the "count to 3 and release" thing. That lets your mind anticipate the shot and you have a tendency to flinch or cock your wrist a little. Just relax, put your sight on target, squeeze SLOWLY and let the release surprise you. If you're getting frustrated, take a break and come back to it.

Comment

Hinge release worked for me. Also aj the tp guru’s cd helped as well

Comment

My approach is a little different, I just don’t think of releasing , I release the string when I feel it’s right ,just relax and let go.

Comment

Sounds like target panic, Joel Turner is gonna be your huckleberry for that

Comment

Start up above the target and slowly bring it down to center and release.

Comment

When that happens to me, I place a big target 5 yards away and let someone else pull the release while I am drawn. I focus on pushing the pin to the target several times until I am again comfortable with the surprise release concept. Then I focus on pushing my pin back to the bullseye while slowly putting pressure on my release myself. This is easy to do at 5 yards. When I am comfortable that a surprise release won't miss the target, I move back to 10,20,30,40 yards. The other thing I do is to pretend that I can guide the arrow to the spot by holding my pin on the target until my arrow arrives. This helps me avoid dropping my bow arm to peak. Doing this I see the arrow in flight which I don't do if I drop my bow arm and peak.

The other thing I struggle with is leaning forward. To correct this, I try and put more weight and come down to the bullseye.

Comment

We're talking trad here!

Comment

That's target panic! Get with Joel Turner's system pronto.

Comment

As an aside, target panic can be beaten, I'm living proof. At the end of the day it boils down to following through on a decision to only shoot perfect arrows, and you have to redefine "perfect" to mean a perfect shot execution, not an arrow in the bullseye. Once your definition of success changes you're over the hump and on your way.

Comment

As it's been said Joel Turner is they guy you need to reach out to. If you're on facebook he will respond to messages and eventually call you to walk you through it. He's really big on non anticipatory triggers like clickers, sears and feather to nose touches that all work.
                      I'll give you the quick and dirty version. Yes you have target panic and the 3 count will be a quick fix but in no time you'll be right back to where you are now.

The simple answer is your mind, specifically your subconscious, is trying to do things in the most efficient manner possible even though it's not what you want to do. That's why the arrow leaves before you're ready for it to.
                      You have to put a break in your shot sequence if you want to regain that "when I'm ready to turn it loose"
                      One of the things Joel will tell you is that before you shoot you have to convince yourself "I'm gonna shoot this shot right or not at all"
                      EASIER SAID THAN DONE....

Try this just to prove it to yourself.
                      Draw and anchor with the notion that you're not gonna shoot this shot
                      then when you're comfortable with that mental control say out loud "HERE I GO"
                      only after you've completely said that can you finish your shot.

I myself tried a limb mounted clicker and it is the bane of my existence.
                      I also tried AJ the TP guru's CD and it only made things worse since it focuses on letting your subconscious run the shot (which is the problem in the first place)

I have lately been working with a Handy Clicker that's really helped add a pause in my shot sequence and given me the control I used to have. I built one myself but will be ordering some in the future.

Good luck

Comment

Originally posted by Phillip Fields View Post
                        We're talking trad here!
                        Trad and compound are 95% the same so the principles apply

Comment

Originally posted by Trumpkin View Post
                          That's target panic! Get with Joel Turner's system pronto.
                          THIS X1000

I took 6 classes online with Joel Turners system and it made me a below average trad. archer to a above average to competitive(placing top 5) archer

Comment

Originally posted by Jspradley View Post
                            Trad and compound are 95% the same so the principles apply
                            yep, a lot of folks don't realize its the same discipline just different aiming techniques and that's what Joel Turner explains in his classes....I was scared to shoot compound and recurve at the same time but he mentally gave me an eye opener than they're one in the same and they both compliment each other....

Comment

Focus on your breathing. Release consciously on the exhale. Count 2 mississippis or less at full draw and no more. Any more mississippis needed...let down. Repeat.

I get anxious when I hold too long. My breaths shorten and get shallow. I start shaking. I get jerky. I either collapse too much or over expand and over draw to compensate for the collapse.

There is always group tightener juice.

Gigem Ag.

Comment

Working...
                              X