Anthrax affected people....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by 88 Bound View Post
    Curious to this answer also. I also wonder if the death ran the other animals out of the area temporarily or if all of them are gone. Think about it: if there’s a dead deer in your feeder pen, how is the activity in that pen for weeks after that?
    not anthrax related but I had a young buck get his rear leg caught jumping over the high part of one of my pens in May. the buzzards and hogs had it cleaned up in 36 hours and deer were in the pen that night.

Comment

Here are a few positives that can give you hope. I was on a place out near Loma Alta & we had a real bad anthrax outbreak years ago. We kept it & it was tough 1st year. One thing we did notice was we had some good bucks in a few years. Maybe more food ,so deer got maximum nutrition? It didn't take too long for numbers to build back up. That is the bad thing about being on a lease out there or buying land out there. It is not if anthrax hits,its when.

Comment

Not going anywhere, just praying enough deer survive.

Comment

BowSlayer, that sucks to hear y'all were wiped out. I've got a friend who hunts Sonora who lost all their deer too. I would have to say if I was on a lease that's prone to anthrax I would find another one. I just just a few miles north near Eldorado. So far all is well, but it sure has me worried.

Comment

I just heard that the temperature needs to stay below 95 for the outbreak to subside. So it isn't over by any means.

Saw a pretty significant drop off on my trail cam pics since around July 15th. There are still deer out there though. They have a long ways to go though to make it through.

Comment

I have 1 doe on camera in 3 weeks and 10-20 deer every morning and evening is normal. I do still have aoudad but not as many.

Comment

Originally posted by BowSlayer View Post
                I have 1 doe on camera in 3 weeks and 10-20 deer every morning and evening is normal. I do still have aoudad but not as many.
                Man, that's terrible.

Comment

That’s horrible. I knew the stuff was bad, but didn’t know it was that bad.

Comment

AntlerCollector, you should be OK north of Eldorado. I am afraid that we are not near the end of this outbreak as I don't see a change in the weather any time soon. I am not aware of any problems in Menard County but then we rarely have anthrax here. The old timers say that there is a small area in the north central part of the county where it can be a problem.
                    Adios,
                    Gary

Comment

I'm not giving up on our Val Verde County place, but I will make some changes to keep feed from laying in the dirt in the future.

Have had several landowners tell me to keep protein in troughs or tubes and keep the corn turned off in the off season to better your odds against anthrax.

Comment

I’m going to stick it out, and hope everything rebounds within a year or two.

Other than this anthrax thing, I think I’m in a pretty decent place.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Hoping for it to stop before it’s too late. I Really like my lease and don’t want to leave.

Comment

I like my lease too. Great lease with a bunkhouse and great bunch of guys. Hopefully it’s not as bad as everyone thinks it is. I had 2 doe on camera this morning so at least they aren’t all dead yet.

Comment

Does anthrax not kill aoudad?
                              Well heck, I just assumed not. But now that you ask that I am not sure and I don’t see why it wouldn’t kill them. So I guess I’ll be sitting on the cabin porch watching sunrises and sunsets with a scotch in my hand for awhile, if we get hit hard. The one cellular camera that is out there is still getting pictures of deer, so hopefully we can make it through

Comment

Originally posted by brianlg31 View Post
                                Well heck, I just assumed not. But now that you ask that I am not sure and I don’t see why it wouldn’t kill them. So I guess I’ll be sitting on the cabin porch watching sunrises and sunsets with a scotch in my hand for awhile, if we get hit hard. The one cellular camera that is out there is still getting pictures of deer, so hopefully we can make it through
                                After I asked you that I talked to my LO and asked him if he's finding any Aoudad. He said yes, they are dying also. They don't seem to be hit as hard on my place as the whitetail though. I had quite a few at my feeder this morning.

Comment

Working...
                                X