Kill Coyotes or not

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by kyle1974 View Post
    there is a ton of "professional" information out there regarding repopulation efforts by coyotes. I think everyone knows and understand you can't eradicate them. They will replace available coyote habitat. I understand that killing off a huge number of them creates available space, so new litters might have a better chance of survival with more rabbits/fawns/rats per coyote.

I will say that killing them off around the time that fawns drop is going to increase the fawn crop. If I have too many fawns going into the next year, that's fine. Bullets are still relatively cheap. and we also have a ton of buzzards and cara caras to clean up the mess.

Ikeman, your post is very good. I agree with all of that about habitat. But this year with the drought conditions we have, I think our cover for fawns is going to be next to nothing. We have also been working on the strung out fawn crop due to ratio imbalance. That's definitely a real problem. 2 years ago in november we still had some fawns with spots on them. not good.

This a great point... some years, the deck is stacked against one animal or another. Cover failure is a real thing that can be completely out of a manager’s control. Trapping/hunting pressure right at fawning time can put enough pressure on the local coyote population to dig out of that temporary hole and help a few more fawns make it.

But, it is best to remember that it is just a single tool in the arsenal. And, like any tool, it’s use can be both beneficial and detrimental if used incorrectly. Same with the plow, cow, herbicides, fire...

Heavy trapping in fawning/nesting season will most likely help whitetail, but will lead to more nest predation for turkeys and quail thanks to more varmint on the landscape. It is all a balance.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by IkemanTX View Post
      This a great point... some years, the deck is stacked against one animal or another. Cover failure is a real thing that can be completely out of a manager’s control. Trapping/hunting pressure right at fawning time can put enough pressure on the local coyote population to dig out of that temporary hole and help a few more fawns make it.

But, it is best to remember that it is just a single tool in the arsenal. And, like any tool, it’s use can be both beneficial and detrimental if used incorrectly. Same with the plow, cow, herbicides, fire...

Heavy trapping in fawning/nesting season will most likely help whitetail, but will lead to more nest predation for turkeys and quail thanks to more varmint on the landscape. It is all a balance.
      fortunately/unfortunately, I haven't seen a turkey on our place to date.

that was an interesting perspective about the quail and coyotes. If they are killing nest raiders, they might be more beneficial than harmful for quail country. I never really thought about it that way.

hopefully we can still all agree to kill all pigs though?

Comment

Kill them all

Comment

Getcha some song dog Rob.

I see you have pigs out there now.

Hogboy

Comment

Like mentioned above...they are very good for the natural system. I personally enjoy watching and listening to them.

Comment

Haven’t seen or heard any coyote around my place until this one showed up.

I’m going to have to make it a priority.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

That's why you just have to shoot a little of everything. Skunks get killed year round when I see them. Plus I know coyotes eat them at times. Shooting coyotes makes for a healthy population of coyotes. Eventually I'm hoping the skunk population will take a hit from me and the coyotes battling them.

Comment

Nah. We trap thebcoon, opossum and skunk year round as well. We've got stupid numbers of turkey but I suspect the pig population hurts our quail numbers. We work on them too.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Comment

Even us country boys can educate ourselves a little about how an ecosystem works. Just like deer... if there is an overpopulation, bring them in check. Take a few here and there for a little recreation. But, it is always better to look at the ecosystem practically, and as a whole, instead of basing management decisions on antiquated thinking.

No need for you to worry I more than understand how an ecosystem works. I will just continue to manage the land that I own the way I want and you do the same to what you own.

-john

Comment

I KILL everyone ..When the wife isn't around as she thinks they're like dogs ... Lol

Comment

I leave them - nature is nature. I don’t shoot them or any other non-regulated animals like bobcats, armadillos, badgers, etc. some people just like to kill animals for the fun of it - never been my cup of tea.

Comment

Kill ‘em. I’m part of the ecosystem.

Comment

They kill way more healthy fawns than most realize. If they were just taking out the weak/sick deer I would not feel the way I do about them.. And barring poison as a control method they are virtually impossible to trap/hunt/kill out..

Comment

Working...
                            X