Fresh Munch in Veg. Garden ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Fresh Munch in Veg. Garden ?

I have a question for the long time garden growers on here. Just had a tree company come in and trim trees away from the power lines and my Bride ask them to dump a pile so she can do her flower beds and what ever. I have a 32' x 15' garden boxed in and every year I add compost and maybe a little munch fertilizer to help it out. Getting ready to plant the potatoes first then my other spring veggies a little later when weather gets right. Do you guys think that adding some of this munch would help it or hurt it if I put it there being that it will be a couple of weeks just being munched up and by the way its mostly Pecan and Oak. Thanks
    Attached Files

Originally posted by JFFB View Post
    I have a question for the long time garden growers on here. Just had a tree company come in and trim trees away from the power lines and my Bride ask them to dump a pile so she can do her flower beds and what ever. I have a 32' x 15' garden boxed in and every year I add compost and maybe a little munch fertilizer to help it out. Getting ready to plant the potatoes first then my other spring veggies a little later when weather gets right. Do you guys think that adding some of this munch would help it or hurt it if I put it there being that it will be a couple of weeks just being munched up and by the way its mostly Pecan and Oak. Thanks
    It's fine, this is the time of the year when you want to add it.

Comment

I'll second MH. It will age a little before planting time. Scrape it back from the planting area before planting them covering back up the planting area.

Comment

Munch

Originally posted by locolobo View Post
        I'll second MH. It will age a little before planting time. Scrape it back from the planting area before planting them covering back up the planting area.
        Thanks I have not put it in there yet. But when I put in I till it up good with a little lime and some fertilizer before I plant. Thanks

Comment

Thanks I have not put it in there yet. But when I put in I till it up good with a little lime and some fertilizer before I plant. Thanks
          Personally I wouldn't till it.
          Especially a box garden.
          If you must till it, do it in the fall.

Comment

Thanks

Originally posted by MadHatter View Post
            Especially a box garden.
            Bump

Comment

Originally posted by MadHatter View Post
              Especially a box garden.

How are you suppose to plant anything if you don’t till it or work it ? I always till it first before making my rows.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

How are you suppose to plant anything if you don’t till it or work it ? I always till it first before making my rows.
                Back to Eden Gardening. I haven't tilled in years

Comment

Originally posted by Man View Post
                  Back to Eden Gardening. I haven't tilled in years
                  This, plug it, and plant.
                  Tilling has a lot of negative effects, if a healthy, living soil, is your goal.
                  Like MAN, I haven't tilled in yrs.
                  Most years I'm planting into a cover crop of White Clover.

Comment

I haven't tilled in many years. Compost, mulch ( wood chips or hay ) plant. Hardly any weeds. Everything grows great including worms and soil

Comment

I would put it on top the first year. It will take nitrogen out of the soil as it compost.
                      Next year it will work wonders!

Comment

Originally posted by Texas452 View Post
                        I would put it on top the first year. It will take nitrogen out of the soil as it compost.
                        Yes this fresh mulch is a good top dress to deterr weeds but to much of it or mixing it in will decrease your available nitrogen.some organics take a long time to breakdown and actually become beneficial compost.

Comment

Originally posted by Texas452 View Post
                          ^^^ This--

The decomposition process removes nitrogen from the soil. When adding mulch, which is a good idea for various reasons, always keep in mind that it depletes the soil nutrients. Thus the need for additional fertilizer. A regular soil sample will tell what is needed.

Comment

FWIW don’t mulch with black walnut. Black walnut produces juglone which can damage and kill certain plants. I don’t have personal experience with it but that’s what I’ve read.

Comment

Working...
                            X