Alternative to a deer lease or public hunting

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Alternative to a deer lease or public hunting

Ok, looking for recommendations to an alternative to a deer lease and hunting public.

Kiddos are now in college, so funds are still tite for a deer lease, and public hunting, well its public hunting where pressure in Texas is high.

For 2021 where should I look to book a few deer hunts?

Budget for next year will be $1500 to $2000.

Would be looking at hunting the weekend primarily and limit the use of vacation time.

Got a few places on my list from the rate the day lease, but was curious what the GS had to say.

Following along. Luckily I have a place to hog hunt for now, but really want to get back to harvesting some deer.

Comment

Bowhunting, first point always has big deer drop each year.

Freezer filler I'd find someplace I could shoot a couple axis does.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Comment

Probably day hunts. I’d save up and keep an eye out for deals to pop up on Craigslist

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Don't know where you live, but you can get a lease in E, SETx for that and have change left over.

Comment

day hunt private land. just get your mental approach changed and dont compare it to a deer lease, then it will be fun.

Comment

First point

Comment

I can help you with this . Pm me ur phone ur number and so I can call and tell you what a friend of mine offers. I think this would be what you are looking for .

Comment

Your budget doesn’t give you many options. You may find “meat hunts.”

I’d also recommend First Point. That’s a cool place with a good chance at a really nice buck.

Comment

What do you want to achieve hunting? Meat in the Freezer, Impressive antlers or a sense in accomplishment knowing you harvested wild game in a mostly natural environment. If options 2 and 3 appeal to you then it is best done on public lands. It takes a commitment to the outdoors and refining your skills as an outdoors-man even in the off-season. Spending 30, 40, 50 or more nights outside. A lot of the lease guys are just as sick as I am, spending huge amounts of time farming deer. We should all be grateful to our spouses for supporting our obsessions or at least begging forgiveness.

Comment

Look into the e-postcard public draw hunts. No loyalty points, so they’re easier for first-timers to draw. Deer hunting on these areas is usually limited to draws, so pressure is light, and the e-postcard hunt periods are usually longer than standard draws (~2 weeks or more).

Comment

$670 2nd season OTC in Colorado 9 days of hunting. One of the most physical and mentally challenging hunts I have done. Been doing it 5 years now. We have killed 3 elk in 5 years. After chasing elk in the Mountains sitting in a deer stand just doesn't do it for me anymore.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by drwilliams View Post
                          $670 2nd season OTC in Colorado 9 days of hunting. One of the most physical and mentally challenging hunts I have done. Been doing it 5 years now. We have killed 3 elk in 5 years. After chasing elk in the Mountains sitting in a deer stand just doesn't do it for me anymore.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk
                          You are correct, I have been going to the mountains for years and hoping I have the physical stamina to do it for a few more. OP does not want to use much of his vacation. It seems that there has to be an investment in time. Myself, I have worked weekends only for the last 12 years. this gives me Mon - Thurs to be outdoors. I work the holidays and trade for CTO so I have more time off for outdoor pursuits. I have a lot of years in so I have 5 weeks of vacation and another week of personal days and floating holidays. I use 3 to 4 of those six weeks for hunting, fishing or scouting. The rest I take with my wife at a place where I can usually do some fishing.

Comment

Originally posted by brokeno View Post
                            First point

Just checked them out on FB and their website. That is what I believe I'm looking for.

Comment

Great info. following along!

Comment

Working...
                              X