Pex pipe

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Pex pipe

Anyone have any experience with pex pipe bursting or freezing during the storm?

Was told it it was better than PVC to plumb remote buildings with.

Looking at possibly using it when/if I plumb my shop.

Neighbors pex froze in his house, no problems with it bursting

Comment

Kind of a funny 1st post.

Go watch youtube, Copper vs Pex vs Sharkbite
      Hard to go wrong with pex.
      Im in nckansas, we bury our water at 3ft.
      We dont put water in attics unless its a heated space.
      Also for exterior walls.. we dont want the water lines inside the studs..
      A maniblock with valves can really give you some freedom.. to control your water.. allowing you to have control and be able to shutoff each individual line.

Comment

pex and sharkbite is like lego's - love it

Comment

The weak point if pex is the fittings Still good stuff all the service calls I’ve went on this week 2 have been pex burst all the rest copper or cpvc

Comment

All the houses but one that I've built in the last 20+ years have pex. I've never had a call on one for leaks.

Comment

Originally posted by Zmaxhunter View Post

A maniblock with valves can really give you some freedom.. to control your water.. allowing you to have control and be able to shutoff each individual line.
              Thanks and WELCOME to the Fire!

Comment

Pex pipe

We replumbed our mobile home with Pex. 3/4” mainline from one end to the other and all splits were 1/2”. Our toilet line froze but did not bust and it is on the north side right up next to the side where the wind was blowing. We have a cinderblock skirting around the house which helped. All elbows were the metal (i assume they are brass?) and any couplers are the plastic. I honestly think had we used PVC there would have been an issue with bursting as we cannot simply drip the toilet like you can the sink.

Edit: also i love the ease of installation and if needed, repairs. But so far, i love how it has performed.

If you are able however, add a low point drain just in case anything like this happens again. It sucks to be without water, but pretty much guarantees no bursts.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                Last edited by bloodstick; 02-23-2021, 07:03 PM.

Comment

I had to repair pex in the wall of a neighbors house last week. If it was pvc or copper it would have been a lot worse.

Comment

My house is PEX. Only faucet that froze was on an exterior wall. Isolated that line at the manifold until it unfroze to make sure of no leak. Got down to 12° outside and 45° in the house.

That is another wonderful thing about it, if there is a leak you can isolate it with out losing water to your whole house until repaired.

Comment

PEX is not bulletproof but pretty close.
                      Did one repair for a guy where a Sharkbite cap on a half inch stub out froze, split the brass ring and allowed th Oring to displace causing a leak. Easy fix.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Comment

Good info. Thanks. Don't worry about the lack of replies. Most here ignore you until you're Pope & Young status.

Comment

I’m going to repipe my house with pex this spring . Going to use the uponor fittings .

Comment

Architect or who ever got the great idea to put a hot water heater and pipes in a attic should be taken behind the barn and kicked in the taint then in the nads for good measure
                            I just was talking to a guy tonight about his not having power for a week and ask about how bad it messed up his house, he says not a problem all his pex is running though the foundation in conduit
                            I hope the state building code changes or insurance companies will lobby for higher plumbing standards in new construction
                            Like at the coast after a hurricane has wind standards
                            Last edited by S-3 Ranch; 02-23-2021, 09:05 PM.

Comment

We have about 150’ running across the ground at work and it never froze.

Comment

Working...
                              X