Small Children and Stock Tanks/Ponds Safety Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Small Children and Stock Tanks/Ponds Safety Question

Building our dream home on acreage. Spring-fed pond on the property in view of the house. Fence the water or fence the homestead? Looking for advice from old heads that have been through this before. Thanks.

Originally posted by Ætheling View Post
    Building our dream home on acreage. Spring-fed pond on the property in view of the house. Fence the water or fence the homestead? Looking for advice from old heads that have been through this before. Thanks.

We fenced the homestead, thought the livestock needed access to the water, and more aesthetically appealing that way

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Fence the home and put alarms on the gates with little kids around.

Comment

Homestead

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

I hate to be that guy, but I'm going to....teach kids to swim as early as possible. We have a pool at our home and multiple tanks and lakes at our farm. Then, all of a sudden we had like 5 grandbabies in 3 years. We paid for the swim lessons and made our grown kids bring em. I can't be everywhere and couldn't live with myself if something happened to one of my kids' kids on my watch. Build a fence. Alarm the gates. But most importantly, please teach them to swim about as soon as they can walk. It's very easy.

Comment

^^ agree with swim lessons, we taught ours while they were toddlers.

Comment

Originally posted by curtintex View Post
              I hate to be that guy, but I'm going to....teach kids to swim as early as possible. We have a pool at our home and multiple tanks and lakes at our farm. Then, all of a sudden we had like 5 grandbabies in 3 years. We paid for the swim lessons and made our grown kids bring em. I can't be everywhere and couldn't live with myself if something happened to one of my kids' kids on my watch. Build a fence. Alarm the gates. But most importantly, please teach them to swim about as soon as they can walk. It's very easy.
              I agree, but the pond where I was raised had moccasins as big as your arm. Keep little kids away from the pond as long as they are so little they don’t understand about snakes. Keep the banks as clean as possible to discourage snakes. No need to be paranoid, but the danger is real.

Comment

I fenced the 1 acre the house is on.
                Livestock has full access to the tanks.
                Which means the Grandkids do too.
                [emoji57]
                As Curt said, Please, Please teach them to swim ASAP. No way to watch them every minute and I don’t even want to. Kids need a little freedom like most of us had.

Comment

Teach them to swim. Like Curt said, you can't watch them all the time. My parents did well with my brother and me. I don't remember not being able to swim.

Comment

Originally posted by curtintex View Post
                    VERY good advice!

(Wait. You have grandchildren??)

Comment

Originally posted by ThisLadyHunts View Post
                      VERY good advice!

(Wait. You have grandchildren??)

Hard to believe ain’t it? I’m just a baby my own self.[emoji6]

Comment

Originally posted by rjtkdplus View Post
                        ^^ agree with swim lessons, we taught ours while they were toddlers.
                        As soon, as she could walk.....................

Comment

Fence something! A friend of mine lost his three year old Godson last summer when he wandered off and drowned in a stock tank on the property.

Comment

I’m with Curt on this one. Thinking back to all the fences we climbed when I was a kid, not sure how much good they’d do in the end.

Comment

Comment

Working...
                              X