Go Back   TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums > Topics > Around the Campfire

Old 06-07-2021, 02:04 PM   #1
Aggies12
Four Point

Hunt In: Junction, Encinal
Default Frio river flow

What is it looking like? I monitor the flow rate on some websites and it is up from last year, but looking for actual reports from people that have been there or maybe some pictures.
I went last year and it was super slow, lots of walking.
Heading back on the 19th. Hopefully the water is still up......
Aggies12 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-07-2021, 02:07 PM   #2
Tshelly
Ten Point

Hunt In: Walker, Montgomery, Trinity, & Lee

Headed up the 23rd. Water usually stops on the ranch we stay outside of Concan. Pics from last weekend show it going under the fm road out of the ranch. Last year it very low, should be up considerably this trip with good flow

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Tshelly is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-07-2021, 02:18 PM   #3
simek
Ten Point

Saturday I floated the Frio at Happy Hollow. The flow was great. I have floated the same stretch for about the last 4 years. This year's flow was by far the best for floating. 1.5 to 2 hour float took 1 hour.

Last edited by simek; 06-07-2021 at 02:21 PM.
simek is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-07-2021, 02:28 PM   #4
dipstick105
Six Point

I was at the house pasture Saturday. It has water flowing, but the friends of mine that floated still had to walk in areas from the second crossing Neal's
dipstick105 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-07-2021, 02:39 PM   #5
coachmas
Eight Point

Hunt In: around Palestine

Floated happy hollow 2 hours ago. Didn’t walk 1 time. Tomorrow we are hitting up the longer floats.
coachmas is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-07-2021, 02:40 PM   #6
coachmas
Eight Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by simek View Post
Saturday I floated the Frio at Happy Hollow. The flow was great. I have floated the same stretch for about the last 4 years. This year's flow was by far the best for floating. 1.5 to 2 hour float took 1 hour.
Exactly!
Old 06-07-2021, 02:43 PM   #7
zztex
Pope & Young

Latest reading is 70 cubic feet per second. It was up to 89 a couple days ago. 100 is a real nice float in my opinion. A couple times in the last few years when we were there it was in the 30’s which is no good. We will be there starting the 11th
zztex is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-07-2021, 02:52 PM   #8
BolilloLoco
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Old Mexico, Washington County & Mason County

Flow in Leakey has slowed from 2 days ago. It’s better than last year but still nowhere near where it needs to be for me to float. So we are posted up in a shallow pool. I hate walking.
BolilloLoco is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-07-2021, 02:52 PM   #9
Aggies12
Four Point

Last year we tried to float at a flow of around 15 CFS - it was miserable. I just sat in the river the rest of the trip. Hopefully it stays around 70 until the 19th.
Old 06-07-2021, 08:25 PM   #10
coachmas
Eight Point

What is everyone’s favorite stretch to float? We did happy hollow twice today. Gonna do a different area tomorrow or Wednesday. I’ve only done 7 Bluffs to Frio Country once and it was low water/flow and NO fun several years ago. We have 3 families with kids from 7-15 years old. Thanks Coach
Old 06-07-2021, 09:59 PM   #11
ColinR
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Roosevelt/Sonora

We are here now. We have floated the last 3 days from 7 bluffs to frio country and I have not had to get out of my tube a single time. Now in the deep spots if the wind is strong you gotta paddle some, or be fortunate like me to have an 11 year old who likes to pull us.
ColinR is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-07-2021, 10:43 PM   #12
coachmas
Eight Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColinR View Post
We are here now. We have floated the last 3 days from 7 bluffs to frio country and I have not had to get out of my tube a single time. Now in the deep spots if the wind is strong you gotta paddle some, or be fortunate like me to have an 11 year old who likes to pull us.
How long was that float?
Old 06-08-2021, 06:17 AM   #13
Sackett
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Sutton County

Quote:
Originally Posted by coachmas View Post
What is everyone’s favorite stretch to float? We did happy hollow twice today. Gonna do a different area tomorrow or Wednesday. I’ve only done 7 Bluffs to Frio Country once and it was low water/flow and NO fun several years ago. We have 3 families with kids from 7-15 years old. Thanks Coach
When the water is right (70 cfs+) we like to do from 1120 - 1050 (start where Happy Hollow drops you off and keep going past Happy Hollow to the 1050 bridge) there's some beautiful stops along the way with several chutes the kids will do over and over. The kicker is at 1050, you have to haul all your gear up the steep bank and have a vehicle parked or someone picking you up. You used to be able to drive all the way down but idiots were accessing the river and driving in it with their trucks so they shut it down. The last stretch is slow and you may have to walk, but that doesn't bother me; the scenery and stretch of water along the way make it worth it. I used to love the stretches between Magers Crossing to Riverview (back when you could exit there) and seven Bluffs to Neal's, but now it's like The Guadalupe and Mardi Gras on Bourbon St with all the dumbarses thinking the whole river a half-mile in both directions needs to hear the music coming out of your radio cooler with 4, 6x9's a subwoofer and 1000 watt amp.
Sackett is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-08-2021, 07:37 AM   #14
coachmas
Eight Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sackett View Post
When the water is right (70 cfs+) we like to do from 1120 - 1050 (start where Happy Hollow drops you off and keep going past Happy Hollow to the 1050 bridge) there's some beautiful stops along the way with several chutes the kids will do over and over. The kicker is at 1050, you have to haul all your gear up the steep bank and have a vehicle parked or someone picking you up. You used to be able to drive all the way down but idiots were accessing the river and driving in it with their trucks so they shut it down. The last stretch is slow and you may have to walk, but that doesn't bother me; the scenery and stretch of water along the way make it worth it. I used to love the stretches between Magers Crossing to Riverview (back when you could exit there) and seven Bluffs to Neal's, but now it's like The Guadalupe and Mardi Gras on Bourbon St with all the dumbarses thinking the whole river a half-mile in both directions needs to hear the music coming out of your radio cooler with 4, 6x9's a subwoofer and 1000 watt amp.
Thanks!!
Old 06-08-2021, 07:47 AM   #15
ColinR
Pope & Young

Quote:
How long was that float?

Right around 3 hours. If the river goes down much from whatever the flow was yesterday there will be a couple spots you gotta walk depending on how big, heavy, you are. I was dragging in a couple spots yesterday but still made it thru. My wife and son made it no problem.

I agree with what sackett said about the floats from 7 bluffs to frio country and frio country to Niels. It gets pretty crazy on the weekends, we just make sure we are in the river by 11 and have never had a problem. During the week, like yesterday we didn’t start floating till 1 and it was still nice.
Old 06-08-2021, 07:50 AM   #16
ROCKET
Ten Point

We are here now, anyone know how long the majors to 7 bluffs float is ?
ROCKET is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-08-2021, 07:52 AM   #17
coachmas
Eight Point

Quote:
Right around 3 hours. If the river goes down much from whatever the flow was yesterday there will be a couple spots you gotta walk depending on how big, heavy, you are. I was dragging in a couple spots yesterday but still made it thru. My wife and son made it no problem.

I agree with what sackett said about the floats from 7 bluffs to frio country and frio country to Niels. It gets pretty crazy on the weekends, we just make sure we are in the river by 11 and have never had a problem. During the week, like yesterday we didn’t start floating till 1 and it was still nice.
👍
We are gonna do that float this morning @10. Probably head over to the swimming hole “Quince” at Camp Wood in the afternoon.
Old 06-08-2021, 03:53 PM   #18
coachmas
Eight Point

Floated 7 Bluffs to Frio Country today. Water flow was 68CFS today. Got off the tube to walk one time because I got in the wrong side and got pushed on shallow area, and another time over the 2nd road crossing. All in all it was a great time. We floated, did the longer rapids twice, a couple rope swings, and paddled some in open water with the wind blowing from the south 10-15mph. Our group still made the trip in 2:15-2:30. Thanks Coachmas
Old 06-08-2021, 03:58 PM   #19
rvd
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Texas

Quote:

Partly why we haven't been in several years plus I don't enjoy floating in other's pee that much anymore .
rvd is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-08-2021, 09:32 PM   #20
ColinR
Pope & Young

Quote:
Floated 7 Bluffs to Frio Country today. Water flow was 68CFS today. Got off the tube to walk one time because I got in the wrong side and got pushed on shallow area, and another time over the 2nd road crossing. All in all it was a great time. We floated, did the longer rapids twice, a couple rope swings, and paddled some in open water with the wind blowing from the south 10-15mph. Our group still made the trip in 2:15-2:30. Thanks Coachmas
Glad to hear it worked out. Was kinda rainy this morning so we drove the twisted sisters and saw tons of cool exotics. Then hit the river this afternoon. Unfortunately we head home tomorrow.
Old 06-08-2021, 09:36 PM   #21
coachmas
Eight Point

Quote:
Glad to hear it worked out. Was kinda rainy this morning so we drove the twisted sisters and saw tons of cool exotics. Then hit the river this afternoon. Unfortunately we head home tomorrow.
We got one more day. Headed to GSP in the morning, hiking and a swim before lunch. Then maybe Frio Country to Neels or come back to Pecan Farm and swim. Then GSP dance at night. Heading home Thursday morning. Safe travels! Coach
Old 06-09-2021, 06:37 AM   #22
Sackett
Pope & Young

Quote:
We got one more day. Headed to GSP in the morning, hiking and a swim before lunch. Then maybe Frio Country to Neels or come back to Pecan Farm and swim. Then GSP dance at night. Heading home Thursday morning. Safe travels! Coach
If you're at Frio Pecan Farm, do the float from there, down to the low water crossing past The Baptist Encampment off 1120. You'll need your own tubes or can rent from Pecan Farm. You'll also need to have your own trucks to shuttle.
Old 06-09-2021, 07:11 AM   #23
coachmas
Eight Point

Quote:
If you're at Frio Pecan Farm, do the float from there, down to the low water crossing past The Baptist Encampment off 1120. You'll need your own tubes or can rent from Pecan Farm. You'll also need to have your own trucks to shuttle.
We’ve stayed here two years, didn’t know you could float from here down to anything. Last year the flow was too low I guessing. Thanks for the info. Coach
Old 06-09-2021, 08:04 AM   #24
ROCKET
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by ROCKET View Post
We are here now, anyone know how long the majors to 7 bluffs float is ?
We had a large group yesterday that made
The float in 6hrs. That was with a few rope swing’s and a lunch break thrown in .
ROCKET is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-09-2021, 08:29 AM   #25
Sackett
Pope & Young

Quote:
We’ve stayed here two years, didn’t know you could float from here down to anything. Last year the flow was too low I guessing. Thanks for the info. Coach
It is one of our favorite floats but the river has to be flowing pretty good in order to do it. There are some deeper sections that you will have to paddle through but we are never in a hurry when floating the river
Old 06-09-2021, 09:19 AM   #26
Deerguy
Ten Point

Never done it. When you say you have to walk the low spots, at a water flow of of say 50, how far? 50 yards, half mile, etc.?
Deerguy is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-09-2021, 10:46 AM   #27
Sackett
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deerguy View Post
Never done it. When you say you have to walk the low spots, at a water flow of of say 50, how far? 50 yards, half mile, etc.?
If you're talking about the float from Pecan Farm, south, then there is some walking at 50 cfs and there are some deeper sections a little further down you might have to paddle through. But the scenery and lack of other people is well worth it. If you have a kayak it's even better. We run it with kayaks and tubes. Cooter's go on kayaks to keep the weight and the freedom of movement in a tube. There is a section of water falls through some cypress trees that we spend at least an hour at taking pictures and relaxing
Old 06-09-2021, 03:11 PM   #28
coachmas
Eight Point

Quote:
If you're talking about the float from Pecan Farm, south, then there is some walking at 50 cfs and there are some deeper sections a little further down you might have to paddle through. But the scenery and lack of other people is well worth it. If you have a kayak it's even better. We run it with kayaks and tubes. Cooter's go on kayaks to keep the weight and the freedom of movement in a tube. There is a section of water falls through some cypress trees that we spend at least an hour at taking pictures and relaxing
Awesome!! Thanks
Old 06-09-2021, 04:56 PM   #29
stickman
Pope & Young

Quote:
I grew up on that stretch of river. Love the float, fishing can be great, and less crowded. My grandparents had a house right there in Leakey springs estates, oh if those cypress trees could talk.
stickman is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-10-2021, 10:07 AM   #30
zztex
Pope & Young

Flow got down in the upper 50’s yesterday, but back up to 67 now. Leaving tomorrow 👍
zztex is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-14-2021, 10:00 AM   #31
Aggies12
Four Point

I will be there in 5 days. How is the flow? How much walking? I am not sure of the name of the place where we put in, but we normally get out at Happy Hollow.
Old 06-14-2021, 09:11 PM   #32
Wampuscat
Ten Point

Hunt In: Diboll, TX

Quote:
Originally Posted by stickman View Post
I grew up on that stretch of river. Love the float, fishing can be great, and less crowded. My grandparents had a house right there in Leakey springs estates, oh if those cypress trees could talk.
I usually rent a riverside house just upstream of the Pecan Farm. Any ballpark on how long the float would be with normal flows to the crossing at 1120? That’d save a lot of hassle driving to 7 Bluffs. We usually ride the 3 Sisters in the morning and float in the afternoon. The last few years we haven’t floated except in the deeper pool behind the house and sat in the shallows. Love watching all the Axis in the morning and evening. I had to promise to leave the bow at home years ago.
Wampuscat is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-14-2021, 10:14 PM   #33
Sackett
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wampuscat View Post
I usually rent a riverside house just upstream of the Pecan Farm. Any ballpark on how long the float would be with normal flows to the crossing at 1120? That’d save a lot of hassle driving to 7 Bluffs. We usually ride the 3 Sisters in the morning and float in the afternoon. The last few years we haven’t floated except in the deeper pool behind the house and sat in the shallows. Love watching all the Axis in the morning and evening. I had to promise to leave the bow at home years ago.
Flow right now at Concan is 51 cfs. That's pretty decent. From 337 to 1120, just south of The Baptist Encampent will be around 5 hours, +/- hour for stopping/ paddling.
Old 06-15-2021, 08:54 PM   #34
Wampuscat
Ten Point

Hunt In: Diboll, TX

Quote:
Flow right now at Concan is 51 cfs. That's pretty decent. From 337 to 1120, just south of The Baptist Encampent will be around 5 hours, +/- hour for stopping/ paddling.
Thanks a lot. We’re always looking for something new instead of simply getting out at the “tree in the road”.
Wampuscat is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-17-2021, 11:51 AM   #35
DS_1974
Ten Point

Was there from 6/7 through 6/12. I fished most of the time but did float (in my kayak) from where we stay at 7 Bluffs down to Frio Country. Did this run on Friday and the flow was great but there were a million others on this run with us. I should have stayed back and fished.
DS_1974 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-17-2021, 12:19 PM   #36
TxBobcat
Ten Point

Hunt In: Brazoria, Kimble counties

Won’t be at Frio Pecan Farm till 8/1. Can’t wait.
TxBobcat is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-17-2021, 12:36 PM   #37
EZE
Four Point

Hunt In: East Tx / Eldorado Tx

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aggies12 View Post
What is it looking like? I monitor the flow rate on some websites and it is up from last year, but looking for actual reports from people that have been there or maybe some pictures.
I went last year and it was super slow, lots of walking.
Heading back on the 19th. Hopefully the water is still up......
We just came back from there Monday of this week and the water was great from 1020 pretty much all the way to 1050. I think we had to walk two small areas and the final 100 yards to the 1050 bridge. We got out at Happy Hollow on the second float and no walking between 1020 and there.
EZE is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-18-2021, 07:43 AM   #38
Trevor73402
Ten Point

Any suggestions on a place to rent around there on a last minute type thing? Wanted to ride my Harley down and float the river. Never been there before.
Trevor73402 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-22-2021, 09:10 AM   #39
Tshelly
Ten Point

Hunt In: Walker, Montgomery, Trinity, & Lee

Saw where some crossings are closed down. Looked like they got some big rain. We head up tomorrow

Tshelly is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-22-2021, 12:05 PM   #40
klawdogg
Four Point

Will be there tomorrow also
klawdogg is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-22-2021, 05:38 PM   #41
deep n the heat
Ten Point

It came up a little today. Should be great in a day or two. We will be there next week.
deep n the heat is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-22-2021, 05:43 PM   #42
coachmas
Eight Point

We got flood warnings on our phones this week. If you are gonna be there by the end of the week, it should be great!!
Old 06-22-2021, 06:03 PM   #43
Bowhunter1994
Ten Point

Hunt In: Anywhere I can

River looking good soon I bet

Bowhunter1994 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-23-2021, 03:53 PM   #44
PassnItOn
Ten Point

Hunt In: McMullen County

Headed to Leakey Saturday, talked to the ranch owner and she said they got a hell of a rain yesterday and things are looking good.
PassnItOn is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-23-2021, 04:15 PM   #45
MacDaddy67
Pope & Young

currently back down to 200 cfm....that is perfect....no walking
MacDaddy67 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-01-2021, 12:37 PM   #46
deep n the heat
Ten Point

River has been good this week but it is steadily falling. Weather has been really nice!
Old 07-03-2021, 06:30 PM   #47
HotRod Hunter
Ten Point

Hunt In: Public Land

Thanks for the update DH . I’ll be at the Frio July 7-11 what’s the River flow like today? I see there is going to be a decent chance of rain hopefully not to much. Any other TBH going to be there at that time
HotRod Hunter is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-03-2021, 10:10 PM   #48
deep n the heat
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by HotRod Hunter View Post
Thanks for the update DH . I’ll be at the Frio July 7-11 what’s the River flow like today? I see there is going to be a decent chance of rain hopefully not to much. Any other TBH going to be there at that time
Looks like it’s right at 50 today. The seven bluffs float was not worth doing. Too many people and very slow. The other 2 floats were good.
Old 07-03-2021, 11:10 PM   #49
Mule Skinner
Six Point

Hunt In: Eastern Edwards Co.

The other day it wa slow and muddy. This was at the Hwy. 16 bridge in Tilden.
Mule Skinner is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-04-2021, 07:49 AM   #50
cwd500
Ten Point

Hunt In: Sour Lake, Tx Hardin Co.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HotRod Hunter View Post
I'll be heading up there on the 11, could you keep me updated on the river? I haven't made a tube trip in years because the river is too low every time I go. We will be bring my in-laws for the first time to the frio.

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk
cwd500 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top