300 blackout Barnes TAC-TX

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

300 blackout Barnes TAC-TX

I’ll be the first to admit I’ve always been skeptical of the 300bo round. I had a 10.5” upper that I used with a thermal to hog hunt with. We shoot a lot so I went with the 120gr Remington hollow points that you get at walmart. They are cheap and I wasn’t that impressed with them. I swapped over both of my thermal ARs to 7.62 x 39 and the cheap soft points perform great.

I recently traded the 10.5” upper for a ruger American ranch bolt gun in 300 bo. I planned on using it as a ranch gun and run it suppressed since I always have my little girl or nephews with me.

Sighted it in with 110gr Barnes TAC-TX and it was sub Moa at 100’yards and pushes the 110gr bullets right at 2400fps.

Driving through the pasture and come up on a herd of hogs shoot one running and hit it’s spine on the back end. Knocked it down but it was still trying to get off with its front end. Shoot it in the shoulder angled hard to me at about 80 yards. The little Barnes expanded great and was stuck in the skin on off side at the back of its ribs. Bullet expended perfectly. If you’re looking for a handy little ranch gun don’t overlook the 300 with this ammo

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Glad to see the little gun killing pigs, I've got that upper dialed in and hopefully will draw some blood with it this weekend. It is shooting about moa with my handloads with a 120 Speer TNT.

Comment

I shoot them as well. Dang good bullet.

Comment

I recovered this one last year...

Comment

I Hated Barnes when I HAD to shoot them in CA when they outlawed Lead in certain areas. (now it's statewide).
          I think a lot of that hate was just on principal LOL.
          I'd try that round in my Blackout though

Comment

The 110 and 120 grain TAC TX bullets are THE bullet to shoot in the blackout.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

It’s all I shoot in mine and have excellent results

Comment

Good review! Trying to decide what to run supersonic in my 300bo, I do love a barnes bullet!

Comment

Originally posted by duckhunter175 View Post
                  Good review! Trying to decide what to run supersonic in my 300bo, I do love a barnes bullet!
                  If you reload Hornady is coming out with a new 190 grain tipped bullet, it is supposed to expand down to 900 fps.

Nevermind I have subs on the brain and misread your post.

Comment

Those bullets perform out of sbr length tubes just like the min 16"...as they were designed with the super sonic 110gr 300BO speeds.

I'm limiting subs to controlled distances / hunting applications.

Comment

Originally posted by Mike D View Post
                      The 110 and 120 grain TAC TX bullets are THE bullet to shoot in the blackout.

This

Comment

Originally posted by mrc View Post
                        If you reload Hornady is coming out with a new 190 grain tipped bullet, it is supposed to expand down to 900 fps.

Nevermind I have subs on the brain and misread your post.
                        Right now I'm running 208 Amax subsonic but if Barnes can get a 190 to run subsonic and expand... I'm all ears!

Comment

I was really frustrated with my blackout and subs on hogs. I finally decided to try the barnes 110 Tac-TX and shooting supers. Glad I did. While shooting subs is fun, I like for the hogs to drop.

Comment

Originally posted by Outback77 View Post
                            It’s all I shoot in mine and have excellent results
                            x2 in my 7.5" SBR

Comment

Originally posted by wickll View Post
                              I was really frustrated with my blackout and subs on hogs. I finally decided to try the barnes 110 Tac-TX and shooting supers. Glad I did. While shooting subs is fun, I like for the hogs to drop.

The problem with subs in the Blackout is you are talking a rifle cartridge and reducing it to pistol energy levels. Energy level with 220 grain subs is roughly the same as 45 ACP.

Comment

Working...
                              X